Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Big Bob Sanchez

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Beat me to it. A very good, safe keeper. Not flashy and perhaps didn't look as good as he was because his positional sense was so good, and so he didn't need to make flashy looking saves. Shame he spent so many of his best years at Nottingham Forest and not with us.
He spent his best years at Forest because they were a top team, we were lucky to get him at the end of his career. In fact we had quite a few top players coming to the end of their careers, Cattlin probably my favourite. I have only once been as gutted as when Cattlin left the club because they were sacked or no longer required since, and that was when GM went up the road.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Eric Steele wasn't too shabby. I remember a John PHillips making a blinding save in a 3-2 win over Palace . . .only game he played for us.

I had to look it up, but Paul Hinshelwood and Neil Smillie both played for Palarse that day. John Gregory ( cockwomble) scored an own goal. RObinson won it for us in 90th minute.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I think the goalkeeper we had when I first started watching was arguably the best of the lot - Peter Grummitt
Absolutely. Great keeper. Always remember him getting stretchered off when an opposing striker just stamped on his neck about 5 minutes after he'd gathered the ball. Didn't even get a yellow card. Could have done with VAR then. Think it was Walsall.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well I can’t see Sanchez getting back in the team anytime soon if his attitude and body language yesterday is anything to go by. Didn’t really seem to be trying in the warm up and during the half time warm up didn’t join in and spent most of it stood with one foot on the ball looking gloomy.

If the idea from RDZ was to give him a kick up the backside it clearly hasn’t worked.
Maybe he feels unfairly pointed out and that whatever applies to him doesn't apply to others. Sanchez make a mistake or two, gets put on the bench to "get a kick up the backside". Mitoma having a bad day but turning up with a goal - "you can't sub Mitoma". Alexis underperforming in multiple games, still gets into the side, in his favorite position where he has done little useful stuff... still dead on to start the next game, in the same role.

Like I've said... fair enough if RDZ doesn't think Sanchez is good enough and wants a new keeper. His opinion and you could argue for (there are better keepers indeed) or against it (certainly worse as well). If he wants another goalie, hopefully the club will go and try to find him one. But whether it is the right call to put him on the bench with two months left of a season rather than let it run its course and do this sensitive change in the summer when its much easier to sort in a good way... we'll see how it turns out.

As with nearly every instance of a somewhat new manager coming in and putting the first-goalie-for-seasons on the bench... the trust and relation between manager and goalie is dead; the manager doesn't trust in his goalie to do well and the goalie doesn't trust in his manager to back him if he fucks up. Nearly unrecoverable.

I think Jason will do well. He's a good Championship level goalie and those can perform reasonably well in the PL as well for the most part. But while I think he'll do well... f*** knows if he'll concede less than Sanchez (who is a better keeper) would.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He spent his best years at Forest because they were a top team, we were lucky to get him at the end of his career. In fact we had quite a few top players coming to the end of their careers, Cattlin probably my favourite. I have only once been as gutted as when Cattlin left the club because they were sacked or no longer required since, and that was when GM went up the road.
Well l hope you gave your patronage to Chris Cattlin's rock shop.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
With Jason now seemingly #1 will Sanchez now become our cup keeper and play against Grimsby on Sunday?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think Jason will do well. He's a good Championship level goalie and those can perform reasonably well in the PL as well for the most part. But while I think he'll do well... f*** knows if he'll concede less than Sanchez (who is a better keeper) would.
It's not about conceding fewer but scoring more, believe it or not. Steele has better RDZ style distribution and an ability to draw the press and hit the middle pivot. Sanchez is less good at it, so if he's going to throw them in like he did against Palace you might as well play someone who contributes to us creating big chances. Six goals for with Steele in the team and several sitters missed.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Well I can’t see Sanchez getting back in the team anytime soon if his attitude and body language yesterday is anything to go by. Didn’t really seem to be trying in the warm up and during the half time warm up didn’t join in and spent most of it stood with one foot on the ball looking gloomy.

If the idea from RDZ was to give him a kick up the backside it clearly hasn’t worked.
‘Clearly hasn’t worked’.

That’s a big jump from watching a few minutes during a warm up.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's not about conceding fewer but scoring more, believe it or not. Steele has better RDZ style distribution and an ability to draw the press and hit the middle pivot. Sanchez is less good at it, so if he's going to throw them in like he did against Palace you might as well play someone who contributes to us creating big chances. Six goals for with Steele in the team and several sitters missed.
Two games is not much of a sample size. Its not like the team wasn't scoring any goals with Sanchez in goal.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Two games is not much of a sample size. Its not like the team wasn't scoring any goals with Sanchez in goal.
But six goals in two games is better than say, none, though, right? Or, indeed, one, two, three, four or five.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are you saying you think we’d have beaten Leeds with Sanchez in goal?

Does that mean we’d have beaten Palace with Steele in goal ???
Yes and yes, that De Zerbi is clueless :smile:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Are you saying you think we’d have beaten Leeds with Sanchez in goal?

Does that mean we’d have beaten Palace with Steele in goal ???
Given the nature of the goals, yes I think so.

And given it was a huge blunder from Sanchez, yeah it is quite likely it would have been a win with Steele in goal.

They both have strengths and weaknesses that could cost or win points at various times and situations. Question I'm asking is if playing Steele is going to mean the team will end up on more points at the end of the season than if playing with Sanchez in goal. I find it dubious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here