Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Big Bob Sanchez

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Who knows? Could be ......... or not. Let's face it - Sanchez dropped for Steele - how many of us saw that coming?

(Liars line up over there on the left please!)
I don't think that any of us did, that said, for me anyway, goalkeeper is one of our weakest positions, neither of our custodians fills me with too much confidence.

Come to think about it, in all of my near 40 years of watching the Albion l struggle to think of many really good keepers that wore our shirt.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think that any of us did, that said, for me anyway, goalkeeper is one of our weakest positions, neither of our custodians fills me with too much confidence.

Come to think about it, in all of my near 40 years of watching the Albion l struggle to think of many really good keepers that wore our shirt.
Bit harsh - I think we've had some smashing GKs over the years (relative to the level we've been playing at) - Gill, Powney, Moseley, Digweed, the FDM, the Pole in the Goal, Roberts, Stockers (until his last couple of matches!) - and I rate Big Bob as the best of the lot* (no slight on Steele - he's never let us down, but I can't deny I was shocked wnen RDZ dropped Bobby for him. Maybe kick up the bum time?)

*Pretty close between him and Roberts.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bit harsh - I think we've had some smashing GKs over the years (relative to the level we've been playing at) - Gill, Powney, Moseley, Digweed, the FDM, the Pole in the Goal, Roberts, Stockers (until his last couple of matches!) - and I rate Big Bob as the best of the lot* (no slight on Steele - he's never let us down, but I can't deny I was shocked wnen RDZ dropped Bobby for him. Maybe kick up the bum time?)

*Pretty close between him and Roberts.
I can't comment on Eric Gill and Brian Powney, both were before my time, the others though l will rate as competent rather than smashing lol.

Two of my faves actually you haven't mentioned, Mark Beeney and John Keeley. A shame the former had to be sold to Leeds as we desperately need the money.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
JS nailed on for the Palarse capitulation. 0-1. Doomed, we are.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Shirley we believe Sanchez is the future and the present. He needed a couple game break to get a kick up the arse and a bit of drive/determination into him and as the type of personality that 99% of PL must have he needs to come back into the side against the team he dropped a clanger against and back himself. Fired up and ready to keep the shirt for the rest of the season.

With kids/amateurs you protect the guy by keeping him out of palarse and reinstating him the game after, but this is a different world at PL level.

Also as said immediately on a thread yesterday, don’t BLAME Jason for the draw but that second goal is PROBABLY saved by Sanchez and neither would have much chance with the crazy deflection and in off the bar nature of the 1st but I’d give Sanchez a slim chance as he’s an insane reactionary stopper. Steele would have my thanks and blessing as back-up and for cup games but please let’s go back to Sanchez and hope the mind games worked.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Well I can’t see Sanchez getting back in the team anytime soon if his attitude and body language yesterday is anything to go by. Didn’t really seem to be trying in the warm up and during the half time warm up didn’t join in and spent most of it stood with one foot on the ball looking gloomy.

If the idea from RDZ was to give him a kick up the backside it clearly hasn’t worked.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I think the goalkeeper we had when I first started watching was arguably the best of the lot - Peter Grummitt

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Shirley we believe Sanchez is the future and the present. He needed a couple game break to get a kick up the arse and a bit of drive/determination into him and as the type of personality that 99% of PL must have he needs to come back into the side against the team he dropped a clanger against and back himself. Fired up and ready to keep the shirt for the rest of the season.

With kids/amateurs you protect the guy by keeping him out of palarse and reinstating him the game after, but this is a different world at PL level.

Also as said immediately on a thread yesterday, don’t BLAME Jason for the draw but that second goal is PROBABLY saved by Sanchez and neither would have much chance with the crazy deflection and in off the bar nature of the 1st but I’d give Sanchez a slim chance as he’s an insane reactionary stopper. Steele would have my thanks and blessing as back-up and for cup games but please let’s go back to Sanchez and hope the mind games worked.
Steele is inches away from reaching it. Sanchez is a couple of inches taller. I think he tips it over (AND comfortably saves the second).

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Reckon he’ll be in the sticks for Grimsby

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Reckon he’ll be in the sticks for Grimsby

More of this in that case, please. 😊

Rcce9X.gif

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I think the goalkeeper we had when I first started watching was arguably the best of the lot - Peter Grummitt
Beat me to it. A very good, safe keeper. Not flashy and perhaps didn't look as good as he was because his positional sense was so good, and so he didn't need to make flashy looking saves. Shame he spent so many of his best years at Nottingham Forest and not with us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here