he can save it anywhere

oh oh he's the panther
oh oh he can save it anywhere
oh oh hes the panther

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
There's a great piece in the Athletic today analysing the wonder that is Sanchez. Well worth a read if you can.

This stat in particular stood out:

[tweet]1452243193916018704[/TWEET]

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Love Big Bob 'Ice Cold' Sanchez to bits. He's either Spain's future Numero Uno keeper or a future serial killer. Possibly both. When Man City came out to do their warm-up at the Amex t'other week, and before the Albion outfield players came on to do theirs, I SWEAR that BBS was just standing there on his goal line, for several minutes, oblivious to all around him, just staring the entire Man City squad OUT!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Love Big Bob 'Ice Cold' Sanchez to bits. He's either Spain's future Numero Uno keeper or a future serial killer. Possibly both. When Man City came out to do their warm-up at the Amex t'other week, and before the Albion outfield players came on to do theirs, I SWEAR that BBS was just standing there on his goal line, for several minutes, oblivious to all around him, just staring the entire Man City squad OUT!

That worked a treat :facepalm: :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

We noticed that as well….he just stood and stared for what seemed an age.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Sanchez is ridiculously good at what he does.

He doesn't get to save many due to our solid defence. In a way it would be nice to see him tested more often to get an idea of how good he actually is.

His save percentage numbers compare pretty well with a only a few keepers outperforming him this season https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepers/Premier-League-Stats. Mendy's stats are ridiculous!

As well as raving about his passing and aerial prowess, the Athletic piece was very complimentary towards his positioning when it comes to shot stopping. Here's a snippet:

His body shape and set position, in particular, are superb and serve as the foundations for the rest of his attributes.

His positional awareness and technical efficiency — mainly regarding his footwork — mean he doesn’t need to make any wild movements or technical adjustments as he traverses his goalmouth in preparation for each shot on target.

By the time the ball is struck, he is already in the optimal position, and has his body and hands are in the correct shape to make a save.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
His save percentage numbers compare pretty well with a only a few keepers outperforming him this season https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepers/Premier-League-Stats. Mendy's stats are ridiculous!

As well as raving about his passing and aerial prowess, the Athletic piece was very complimentary towards his positioning when it comes to shot stopping. Here's a snippet:

His body shape and set position, in particular, are superb and serve as the foundations for the rest of his attributes.

His positional awareness and technical efficiency — mainly regarding his footwork — mean he doesn’t need to make any wild movements or technical adjustments as he traverses his goalmouth in preparation for each shot on target.

By the time the ball is struck, he is already in the optimal position, and has his body and hands are in the correct shape to make a save.

Wow! He'd be great on strictly too.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Maybe I'm imagining this because no one seems to have mentioned it on the various Sanchez threads and it won't be on highlights videos.

But very close to the end of Saturday's game when Liverpool had some good possession he made a great claim on a cross to relieve pressure on us. Not quite up there with the one in last season's Liverpool game but still extremely welcome.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Maybe I'm imagining this because no one seems to have mentioned it on the various Sanchez threads and it won't be on highlights videos.

But very close to the end of Saturday's game when Liverpool had some good possession he made a great claim on a cross to relieve pressure on us. Not quite up there with the one in last season's Liverpool game but still extremely welcome.

Free kick from near the edge of the box - the one where Lamptey got himself booked for shithousery - wasn’t it? But yes, it was very nice to see our keeper dominantly rise and comfortably take a reasonably well delivered ball with absolute no question that an attacker was getting anywhere near it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tweet of squad from Spanish FA with no Sanchez has now been deleted.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He’s made a few errors of late and will want a clean sheet tomorrow with not too many scares.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He’s made a few errors of late and will want a clean sheet tomorrow with not too many scares.

He's had a big, pretty much beyond comprehension, almost 12 full months of football.

I wouldn't have been too disappointed, although I'm pretty sure BBS would have been, if he was left out of this squad and had some sofa time.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He's had a big, pretty much beyond comprehension, almost 12 full months of football.

I wouldn't have been too disappointed, although I'm pretty sure BBS would have been, if he was left out of this squad and had some sofa time.

He will relish the Internationals being a fit young lad. Besides it’s not like keepers have to do proper training :rolleyes:

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
It struck me the other day that the two biggest clubs in Spain and indeed giants of the world football stage could both end up one day with Albion academy goalkeepers - Rushworth to Barcelona and big Bob to Real. :albion2:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He has made a few errors, but keepers do from time to time. His distribution and commanding his area has been top class, especially considering his age.

Would imagine Spain will be overlooking the errors with the expectation that he will improves as he develops and gains more experience. I suspect they see him as competition for the number 1 spot for many years to come, which is why he continues to get selected.

Seems as though some of our fans expect perfection from him……….the very, very good far outweighs the occasional rick for me and I don’t see us getting a better keeper for a very long time. He’ll be his own biggest critic when he does cock things up I’m sure.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
World class save at the death... deflection, unsighted ... a quite brilliant save. Nice one Bob.

I make that two points he’s earned us in two dramatically different ways in two games... one brilliantly cynical foul and one truly world class save. The fact he makes hard saves look fairly routine excites and frightens me in equally measure ... he has the air of a Buffon (I know, I know it’s hyperbole overdrive, but...) about him, I sincerely believe we should all enjoy him whilst he’s here.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
According to the Premier League app he was voted ‘Budweiser King of the Match’. Which must be some sort of joke I don’t really get. Good saves though & possibly stopped him from dying of hypothermia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports