Bicycle number plates

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I just told you I avoid that route and when I did go that way I took the cycle path…..are you just looking to pick an argument or what?

I simply asked why cyclists choose to ignore the cycle paths and lanes provided, you come back with how they like to reach up to 30 mph, is that why all these lanes are ignored in your opinion then?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I simply asked why my cyclists choose to ignore the cycle paths and lanes provided, you come back with how they like to reach up to 30 mph, is that why all these lanes are ignored in your opinion then?

The vast majority of cycle paths are not fit for purpose. Think about it, cyclists are choosing to share the road with several ton fast moving death machines (exaggerated but not an unreasonable way to describe motor vehicles) rather than using cycle paths. Why do you think that is?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
The vast majority of cycle paths are not fit for purpose. Think about it, cyclists are choosing to share the road with several ton fast moving death machines (exaggerated but not an unreasonable way to describe motor vehicles) rather than using cycle paths. Why do you think that is?

I think you need to inform the local council as in this link http://www.southdowns.gov.uk/about-...hton-communities-to-south-downs-national-park they are spending £5 million on making it safe for cyclists, I think it only fair you let them know these are not required.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I think you need to inform the local council as in this link http://www.southdowns.gov.uk/about-...hton-communities-to-south-downs-national-park they are spending £5 million on making it safe for cyclists, I think it only fair you let them know these are not required.

Stop being stupid, that cycle lane has been finished. I am not saying that one is not required, I have no idea, I have ridden that road once and decided to avoid it ever since.

'I simply asked why cyclists choose to ignore the cycle paths and lanes provided'

What I am doing is trying to explain to you why cyclists may chose to ride in the road rather than using a cycle lane, a decision that they make knowing they are taking a greater risk with their health and well being.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
SOME cyclicts are twats. MOST cyclists obey the law and Highway Code.

SOME drivers are twats. MOST drivers obey the law and Highway Code.

The End.

Nearly - When cyclists act like tw*ts they put themselves at risk, oh and annoy impatient angry people behind the wheel. When drivers act like tw*ts, they kill people.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think you're suffering from generalisation-syndrome.

Cyclists come in all sorts of forms; commuters, day trippers, mountain bikers, family biking, road bikes, leisure biking. A few people on road bikes in lyrca avoiding the cycle lanes isn't the entire range of cyclists is it. Most cycle lanes are well used and not avoided. I suspect all the students and commuters using the Falmer Rd route use the cycle lane as do people going out for a leisurely ride at the weekend.

You've probably been held up by one cyclist that has added 40 seconds to your journey and you're having a right paddy about it. I've driven that route hundreds of times and can't remember ever being held up by a cyclist - tractors yes, queuing traffic yes, but can't ever remember it being a push bike...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Anyone who jumps a red light annoys the &#*$ out of me.

I tend to be more worried about the cars and vans doing it though than the cyclists, weird that...

Some cyclists, though, just do it as a matter of course, not just as a "can I get through on amber" or similar thing.

And it annoys me intensely, too. I ride a bike myself fairly frequently, and am not arrogant or self-righteous, as some of the other people who do are.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I think you're suffering from generalisation-syndrome.

Cyclists come in all sorts of forms; commuters, day trippers, mountain bikers, family biking, road bikes, leisure biking. A few people on road bikes in lyrca avoiding the cycle lanes isn't the entire range of cyclists is it. Most cycle lanes are well used and not avoided. I suspect all the students and commuters using the Falmer Rd route use the cycle lane as do people going out for a leisurely ride at the weekend.

You've probably been held up by one cyclist that has added 40 seconds to your journey and you're having a right paddy about it. I've driven that route hundreds of times and can't remember ever being held up by a cyclist - tractors yes, queuing traffic yes, but can't ever remember it being a push bike...

Cyclists not using the paths or lanes provided does annoy me, like cyclist going through red lights annoy many others including yourself.
Lets put that all to one side at the moment and seeing that NSC has nothing but law abiding cyclists, how would all those NSC cycling members tackle the problems of the law braking ones that now has been highlighted by the Police Commissioner and giving all you wonderful cyclist a bad name?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Some cyclists, though, just do it as a matter of course, not just as a "can I get through on amber" or similar thing.

And it annoys me intensely, too. I ride a bike myself fairly frequently, and am not arrogant or self-righteous, as some of the other people who do are.

I've been on my bike and had a go at other cyclists jumping lights. It really does get to me as you get threads like this where we're all tainted with the same brush. It's not even just the youngsters that do it either.

And cyclists with headphones on or texting, no lights etc. it is infuriating that they don't realise the danger they are putting themselves in.

But drivers to are becoming more aggressive, less curteous more angry these days. People not giving way, not letting people out when it is simple to do so, simply not stopping to say allow a person with a push or wheel chair cross the road. Not indicating, no waving thanks when they are let through…..ITS PEOPLE THAT ANNOY ME I THINK, NOT SPECIFICALLY CYCLISTS OR DRIVERS!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cyclists not using the paths or lanes provided does annoy me, like cyclist going through red lights annoy many others including yourself.
Lets put that all to one side at the moment and seeing that NSC has nothing but law abiding cyclists, how would all those NSC cycling members tackle the problems of the law braking ones that now has been highlighted by the Police Commissioner and giving all you wonderful cyclist a bad name?

Drivers not using bypasses and dual carriageways that they have exclusive use over annoy me, and instead they whizz around country lanes like it's a rally. No different. Why does any driver need to use Ditchling Beacon when they can take the A23 / A27 for example!? Roads are for everyone. Worth remembering that, they are paid for through general taxation.

You have to tackle the law breaking cyclists like you do anyone else breaking the law - arrest them. Do number plates stop 1.2m drivers driving without MOT's or insurance? Or speeding etc.? No, very few are caught, the ones that are end up campaigning against speed camera's because they are unfair as drivers should be allowed to speed when it's necessary etc. etc.

Right now in this country, surely the goal should be to reduce car journeys, reduce the number of vehicles in our towns and cities and promote healthier lifestyles such as using bikes to get around.

It's not regulation that is required, general policing would be sufficient and they already have the power to arrest/issue fines. They could easily spend a day at some lights and issue fines to cyclists breaking the law. It would soon stop many doing it.

More courses could also be provided in schools, about safe riding, highway code etc. Instead it's always headline grabbing grandstanding instead of someone actually putting their money where their mouth is and realising that investment is required to both improve our infra-structure, make cycling safer and get more people using their bikes and obeying the Highway Code.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
My biggest moan when it comes to cyclist and any way of bringing into line the law braking ones, would be a good thing, are the ones who just completely ignore the cycle lanes that have been put there for their safety and the safety of others.
The best example of this is Falmer Road, it appears the boys in lycra still ignore the expensive cycle path that has been put in between Woodingdean and the Amex. They much prefer to carry on slowing all the traffic down and forcing drivers into swerving out to avoid them. I would love to know why they do this here and many other places where cycle lanes have been put in for their own safety, but don't use them.
It, along with many other cycle lanes, is not fit for purpose. It's surfaced with loose gravel and the only time I've used it, I got a puncture. It's probably fine on a mountain bike but not suitable for road bikes.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

I'll answer. I'm not Sussex based, so can't comment on all of the specific issues you raise.

Firstly I would either invest in well-designed cycle lanes, or get rid. Most of the ones around where I live are unrideable. Many cycle lanes have phone boxes, bollards and bus stops in them, but mostly the surface is just too poor to safely ride my bike. Hence, a lot of the time I end up on the road anyway. If I'm on the road, the cycle lane may as well not be there.

With regard to tougher enforcement. God yes please. I tend to see more cyclists breaking the law when I'm driving. This is because I drive more at the moment and because when you are moving quicker you have more opportunity to catch up with cyclists (especially if you as slow on a bike as I am...). However, I don't think that proper enforcement will ever happen. Police don't seem to enforce speed limits, blatantly dangerous illegal parking or drivers on phones around these parts, therefore I doubt they have the will or resources to stop cyclists that are breaking the law. Nevertheless, every time I see a cyclist jump a red light, I get annoyed because it often reflects badly on all cyclists in the drivers' minds.

One other issue that would need to be considered for proper enforcement, is a better knowledge of the law - there have been multiple cases where cyclists have been stopped by police, only for it to turn out that what they were doing was legal. Additionally, many cyclists need to understand what they can and cannot do. I would also say 'grey areas' need to be clarified. Advance stop boxes are not something that I have seen in Wolverhampton, but from what I have read, the law around ASBs is pretty unclear. This need to be sorted for the safety of all road users.

Cycling needs to be encouraged, in a nation that is getting fatter, suffering from congested roads and pollution, cycling is an obvious solution. It is to the benefit of all road users that cycling is encouraged and made accessible and safe.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
SOME cyclicts are twats. MOST cyclists obey the law and Highway Code.

SOME drivers are twats. MOST drivers obey the law and Highway Code.

The End.
But the second one simply isn't true. No way do most drivers obey the highway code, most haven't a clue. I was driving along the A259 yesterday in the pouring rain and well over half of the cars didn't have their lights on. Drivers are becoming lazier by the year.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here