Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bicycle number plates

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why? a car or van has metal box protection from traffic that has right of way if hit, a cyclist has none, i'm more worried about the cyclist.

You've assumed I'm in a vehicle and not a pedestrian or on a bike worried about my own safety! Just typical of how people think really...

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Think you missed the point, cars and van can look after themselves, i'm concerned about the vulnerability of the cyclist with no protection.

Yeah, as long as they crash into each other - it's as if you don't acknowledge everyone else using the roads, scooters, motorbikes, pedestrians, cyclists….you know, vans and cars look after themselves. Jeez.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Great idea, closely followed by road tax for over 18's who ride bicycles.

Which would be VED and rated as £0 like an electric car. What a brilliant idea to introduce a system that will cost the tax payer millions to implement but bring in nothing….

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
You've assumed I'm in a vehicle and not a pedestrian or on a bike worried about my own safety! Just typical of how people think really...

Im not getting your grievance. what do you mean?
My point is if a car or van gets hit at a relative slow speed say 20 mph the occupant of the van/car is most like to be uninjured, but if a cyclist was hit at 20mph there are more likely to sustain an injury

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Yeah, as long as they crash into each other - it's as if you don't acknowledge everyone else using the roads, scooters, motorbikes, pedestrians, cyclists….you know, vans and cars look after themselves. Jeez.

My point is if a car or van gets hit at a relative slow speed say 20 mph the occupant of the van/car is most like to be uninjured, but if a cyclist was hit at 20mph there are more likely to sustain an injury.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
The other day while stationary and sat at traffic lights I cyclist cut into the inside, slowed down, began to wobbly then hit the front wing of my car, the c### then turned and had a go at me "the bloody car driver". Wished id run the c### over as I was a stationary vehicle!! So yes a good idea also road tax

Shame you didn't have a helmet on with the regulation 'it was him not me' camera. Though I guess the camera evidence isn't used when it's their fault. Plates and Tax, I agree.
Sadly cyclists, not all to be fair, have taken over in E/B, they are everywhere, pavements the promenade. The 10 mile an hour speed limit is a joke, they haven't a clue just what that means. On the stretch along by the Sovereign Centre in the evening it's quite common to see them at 30 mph and above. As previously stated it's not all, but those that have no consideration tar the considerate as well. As do the fewdog owners that leave excrement on sidewalks.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There are 30m drivers in the UK and, according to an RAC survey, 83% of respondents admit to breaking speed limits regularly. So that's about 25m drivers who admit breaking the law (and that's the ones who admit to it). According to the national travel survey, there are 3m cyclists in the UK, so even if every one broke the law regularly (and they don't) that's still eight times as many guilty motorists - so ten times is about right. The 100 is a bit far fetched though.

As a guide, I once spent a month observing cyclists on my morning commute and between 16 to 20% percent of them rode through red lights. I haven't counted since but my gut feeling would continue to be one in five.

I agree with beorthelm, number plates for cyclists is a conversation in the saloon bar of the Dog and Duck but a complete non-starter in the real world

The original discussion piece was referring to the jumping of red lights by cyclists, not speeding. Speeding is another whole can of worms but if you want to go there it is worth remembering that much of Brighton has a 20mph speed limit, a speed that can easily and often be exceeded by cyclists with no form of redress and less effective baking systems than cars.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My point is if a car or van gets hit at a relative slow speed say 20 mph the occupant of the van/car is most like to be uninjured, but if a cyclist was hit at 20mph there are more likely to sustain an injury

I thought I was being completely clear.

If a car or van jumps a red light, it is not only another van or car they could hit. That seems to be the only scenario you can imagine for this occurrence. It's as if you are unable to accept that a car or van jumping a red light could hit a motorcyclist, pedestrian, cyclist - where even at 20mph the results could be devastating and often is.

I am not arguing that it's fine to jump a red light in any situation. I merely commented on the person that singled out only cyclists as red light jumpers who annoy them.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Brighton has a 20mph speed limit, a speed that can easily and often be exceeded by cyclists with no form of redress and less effective baking systems than cars.

There's no need for any form of redress: for obvious reasons, there's no speed limit for cyclists. Different vehicles have different speed limits - there are different ones for coaches than for cars for example. You can't take the limit for one vehicle and apply to another

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I thought I was being completely clear.

If a car or van jumps a red light, it is not only another van or car they could hit. That seems to be you're only scenario you can imagine for this occurrence. It's as if you are unable to accept that a car or van jumping a red light could hit a motorcyclist, pedestrian, cyclist - where even at 20mph the results could be devastating and often is.

I am not arguing that it's fine to jump a red light in any situation. I merely commented on the person that singled out only cyclists as red light jumpers who annoy them.

If a car or van was to jump a red light and hit another vehicle that had gone through a green light.(albeit a car van lorry cyclist) they would not generally get hurt at the relative slow speed.
If they hit the cyclist then the cyclist would more likely get hurt, same goes if the cyclist jumps the red light and hits a car van lorry. That was my concern.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
There's no need for any form of redress: for obvious reasons, there's no speed limit for cyclists. Different vehicles have different speed limits - there are different ones for coaches than for cars for example. You can't take the limit for one vehicle and apply to another
They have to follow the same rules on the road as cars, lorries etc etc. Why wouldn't they??? E.g. In a 20MPH zone, a cyclist would have to abide that too

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Please explain why a cyclist is allowed to travel at whatever speed they want when ALL vehicles are limited to 20 or 30 mph in urban areas ? What special legal exclusion allows them to travel faster than the official speed limit ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Everything in me tells me to be kind to cyclists, appreciate that they are a force for good, they have a tough time and deserve some space and respect but I ****ing hate the bellends.

The actual quote is "I would like to see cyclists wear some form of identification like cars have, so when they go through traffic lights you can identify them and prosecute them for breaking the law.”

So would I, but it is not going to happen.

Good idea in theory, so if someone is knocked down you can trace who is responsible, makes sense. However I have in my 47 years seen:

(Only this morning) a child ride their scooter into the side of parent passing a pram.

A roller skater wipe out a couple walking through Hyde Park

A man running for a 49A knock over some old dear leaving her flat on her face.

The passenger of a car with no lights on (after dark) luzz a full glass jar of mayonnaise out of the window at a fully illuminated legal cyclist (me)

The Taj Mahal at sunrise

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Completely incorrect.

Please explain why a cyclist is allowed to travel at whatever speed they want when ALL vehicles are limited to 20 or 30 mph in urban areas ? What special legal exclusion allows them to travel faster than the official speed limit ?

What's the speed limit on Elm Grove? I think it's 20, would you stand outside the pub for 10 minutes and donate a quid to charity for every car/ van you see going uphill in excess of 35 mph? I doubt it

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Because that's what the law says. Parliament sets the law and if there was a parliamentary will to do, then cyclists wouldn't be exempt.

From Hansard 7 March 2013
Earl Attlee (Whip, House of Lords; Conservative)
Cyclists are not subject to the general prohibition on exceeding the maximum speed limit on the road.

And obviously so, cycles don't have a speedometer so how can a cyclist know he/she is exceeding the limit? It's a nonsense idea

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If a car or van was to jump a red light and hit another vehicle that had gone through a green light.(albeit a car van lorry cyclist) they would not generally get hurt at the relative slow speed.
If they hit the cyclist then the cyclist would more likely get hurt, same goes if the cyclist jumps the red light and hits a car van lorry. That was my concern.

That wasn't your concern at all. You basically started this argument based on the fact you stated that it's safer for cars and vans to jump red lights as they are in a metal protective boxes.

Everyone is at risk who jumps a red light, the cyclist who does it to your concern puts his own life in danger - yes indeed. The car or van that does it puts every other road user in danger including pedestrians, motorcyclists and cyclists. Hence everyone jumping a light annoys me.

But you carry on worrying more about the bike. When I'm crossing the road, riding my bike or driving my car, please excuse me if I'm just slightly more worried about the vans or cars jumping the lights than the push bike. I guess we'll have to differ on that one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That wasn't your concern at all. You basically started this argument based on the fact you stated that it's safer for cars and vans to jump red lights as they are in a metal protective boxes.

Everyone is at risk who jumps a red light, the cyclist who does it to your concern puts his own life in danger - yes indeed. The car or van that does it puts every other road user in danger including pedestrians, motorcyclists and cyclists. Hence everyone jumping a light annoys me.

But you carry on worrying more about the bike. When I'm crossing the road, riding my bike or driving my car, please excuse me if I'm just slightly more worried about the vans or cars jumping the lights than the push bike. I guess we'll have to differ on that one.
Give it up Bold, he's in the 'I'm alright Jack' brigade.
Probably never speeds or anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here