Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bicycle number plates

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The other day while stationary and sat at traffic lights I cyclist cut into the inside, slowed down, began to wobbly then hit the front wing of my car, the c### then turned and had a go at me "the bloody car driver". Wished id run the c### over as I was a stationary vehicle!! So yes a good idea also road tax

Yay. You weirdos are getting quicker. 7th post in and road tax gets a mention.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And of course you don't get this car vs cyclist vs pedestrian territorial nonsense in Germany.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I haven't looked at the link but if it is serious then it would only be appropriate if such measures were carried out to all. Visible ID for pedestrians to stop aimless wandering across roads and cycle paths, joggers, skateboarders, roller skaters, mobility scooters, wheelchair users and any new form of transport that may be invented.

I don't think even hitler went that far did he? Maybe he didn't read The Times

Just because a few morons get wound up that cyclist jump red lights whilst they sit in their cars causing traffic jams unable to jump lights for fear of the occasional camera doesn't make it a good idea.

Not just a few morons, the Sussex police and crime commissioner is the person who raised this.

My take on it: it would be unworkable, the law abiding cyclists would have plates, the ones who currently break the law would continue. How would the police know who was riding the bike at the time, and who us going to administer a costly registration process for all bikes and an ongoing register.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Can't they save a lot of money and hassle by just having a PCO man known trouble spots a few times a week? I rode my bike to North Street from New Church road every day for about 6 months. EVERY SINGLE DAY at least I sat there at a red light whilst other cyclists casually rode through. Usually the ones at Palmeria Sq. or the clocktower were the worst. If a Policeman stood there for 30 minutes each day it would remind them that they're not above the law.

Also, it's a true fact that there is a direct correlation between the amount of lycra you wear and the amount of shits you give about the laws of the road.

Fat Langers

Dec 27, 2007
I think this, or something along these lines, are a good idea. Crossing the london road by preston park the other day, and straight through the red light without even looking was a cyclist! W****R!

Very good idea, cyclists who jump red lights ANNOY the &#*$ out of me

I'm a cyclist, and so called cyclists that jump red light annoy the **** out of me too.

But sometimes I'm a pedestrian and vans and cars jump red lights too, or can't be arsed to indicate therefore nearly running people over at junctions.

When I'm not cycling or walking, then I'm driving, and at junctions like The Old Stiene the green/red man means nothing, students, parents with buggys, kids, OAPs just meander across the road totally oblivious to the oncoming traffic as updating Facebook while crossing the road is their priority.

So come on, lets put this to bed now, we could have this argument for the rest of our lives.

Last edited:

EVERY SINGLE DAY at least I sat there at a red light whilst other cyclists casually rode through. Usually the ones at Palmeria Sq. or the clocktower were the worst. If a Policeman stood there for 30 minutes each day it would remind them that they're not above the law.

On a similar token, stick a copper near the pub at Telscombe during rush hour to catch drivers that take the piss out of their fellow (law abiding) drivers by simply driving down the bus lane and pushing in when they get to the Rottingdean bottleneck

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Hmmmm. Same here. I also worry more about how a person can get so uptight about cyclists.

I generally dislike the form of transport, how a single commuter that is "so efficient and green" can hold up 50 cars on a road because they can't be overtaken, how they indicate to overtake then swerve into the road WITHOUT TURNING THEIR HEAD, how they jump lights, don't wear lighting at night time,...

If I started driving at midnight with no lights, all over the road, turned without looking and generally drove wherever the hell I felt like, then I'd be labelled insane. I see this from at least two cyclists every day on a 30 minute round commute, and I can promise that is not an exaggeration. I have to pay so much more attention on the roads because they can't be bothered.

Now I'm not saying a person who cycles to work is naturally more reckless, but I do think the lack of effective enforcement means a "normal" person might be far more inclined to take a risk on a bike to save a few seconds than they would in a car.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
The actual quote is "I would like to see cyclists wear some form of identification like cars have, so when they go through traffic lights you can identify them and prosecute them for breaking the law.”

So would I, but it is not going to happen.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Wow, just wow.
So the 3000+ deaths on the road caused by this metal box protection isn't an issue?

When the drunk, drugged, incapable, impatient, red light jumping, speeding, death machines are under control then by all means go down to the next rung on the ladder.

But lets sort out the needless deaths caused by cars and vans first.

While encouraging people to use a form of transport that won't kill them or their family, if used properly, or anybody else.

Hopefully Wrong Direction will be along soon with his brilliant and witty remarks.
That'll sink this pointless baiting thread to the bowels of page 2

Think you missed the point, cars and van can look after themselves, i'm concerned about the vulnerability of the cyclist with no protection.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Wow, just wow.
So the 3000+ deaths on the road caused by this metal box protection isn't an issue?

When the drunk, drugged, incapable, impatient, red light jumping, speeding, death machines are under control then by all means go down to the next rung on the ladder.

But lets sort out the needless deaths caused by cars and vans first.

While encouraging people to use a form of transport that won't kill them or their family, if used properly, or anybody else.

Hopefully Wrong Direction will be along soon with his brilliant and witty remarks.
That'll sink this pointless baiting thread to the bowels of page 2

You don't drive then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here