Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Best War Film?

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Great thread - I love a good war film. So many of my favourites already mentioned but I would also add Escape to Victory and War Horse !

My favourites that have already been mentioned are:
Great Escape
Battle of Britain
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
Hacksaw Ridge
Platoon
Fury

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
It was all a bit pantomime - but "The Eagle has Landed" was a great film

MV5BOWQzNzY0MGMtZWY1NC00ZDNkLWEyODAtZmRjNDkwNzgyODY3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_.jpg

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Another vote for Das Boot - obviously the version in German with subtitles, not the dubbed one
Bridge Too Far
Lawrence of Arabia
Battle of Britain

All cracking films and all draw an audible sigh from Mrs S if she sees them on the box as she knows that's the TV locked in for a few hours

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Does this count? :ROFLMAO:

Always loved George Formby movies since I was a kid, and this is technically a war movie set in 1940 Norway...😁
Surprised the movie name wasn't kept the same on both sides of the Atlantic though - I would've thought most people in the UK at that time would've approved of "To Hell with Hitler" as a title....but "Let George Do It" hit the screens here.

_Let_George_Do_It!__(1940).jpg
mpb2016_2535.jpg

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Come and See is a tough watch but worth it.

Thin Red Line is the best for me though. Came out the same time as Saving Private Ryan and IMHO is a million times (approx) better. Pretty true to the book written by a veteran about his experiences, no Hollywood-ising, and a film to immerse yourself in.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
My dad took me and my younger brother to Leicester Square to see Battle of Britain when it came out. As the children of Polish immigrants we were blown away by the bit when the Polish flyers ignored orders and took on the German Luftwaffe planes. "Repeat please...repeat please"
You need to get yourself to the Battle of Britain bunker museum at RAF Uxbridge, with a visit to the Polish War memorial on the A40 then.

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
So many great war films listed here, you couldn't possibly make a POLE that long. The Deer Hunter, Shaving Ryan's Privates etc but if you want a real war fillum with oscar nominations then you have to give Restrepo a go. Ok I'll shut up about it now.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Many good films mentioned. Probably due to my youth (and my Action Man uniforms) I tend to think "war film" = "WW2 film".

I've rewatched these several times and still enjoyed them. Not a fan of American war films, prefer the European versions:

In Darkness (2011)
In-Darkness-UK-Poster.jpg

Days of Glory (2006)

days_of_glory_ver3.jpg

Although poorly reviewed I thought Spike Lee made a decent effort too, with Miracle At St Anna (2008)

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
I'm not sure if they've already been mentioned but two more obscure foreign language films that I like a lot are land of mine and The Captain.

Land of mine is about a group of German prisoners forced to clear mines from a Norwegian beach after the end of the second world war. It's based on a true story and is a great mix of bleakness and hope.

The Captain is quite weird but again it's a true story. Without spoiling it too much a German deserter at the end of the war impersonates an officer and gets up to some heinous stuff. It's quite dark and will stay with you afterwards.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm not sure if they've already been mentioned but two more obscure foreign language films that I like a lot are land of mine and The Captain.

Land of mine is about a group of German prisoners forced to clear mines from a Norwegian beach after the end of the second world war. It's based on a true story and is a great mix of bleakness and hope.

The Captain is quite weird but again it's a true story. Without spoiling it too much a German deserter at the end of the war impersonates an officer and gets up to some heinous stuff. It's quite dark and will stay with you afterwards.
I liked the Captain. Very good

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
You need to get yourself to the Battle of Britain bunker museum at RAF Uxbridge, with a visit to the Polish War memorial on the A40 then.
Went there a few months ago. Fantastic museum and historical site. Frozen on 15 Sep Battle of Britain day on the charts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here