Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Best War Film?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
'A Midnight Clear' is well worth a watch.

I've recommended it to several people and they all got back to me saying they were glad for the heads up.

JJP

Feb 12, 2019
Personal favourite is Waterloo from 1970. If anything the sheer scale of the battles is astonishing. Thousands of extras from the Soviet Union army to recreate the battle makes it seem all the more grand.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I know Fury is supposed to be worth a butchers but I've avoided it because I'm not sure I can suspend disbelief enough to forget that it was filmed in Hampshire posing as Germany or France. Stupid really, considering Full Metal Jacket was largely filmed in the Docklands posing as Vietnam etc.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
The cruel sea!
Snorkers...good o'!

....Its the war number one....the whole bloody war.

In my younger days I could probably recite most of the movie off by heart...one of my top 3 for sure.
Its been a family favourite for years as well due to my granddad serving on the convoy ships, like the Compass Rose in the movie. My brother researched his time in the RNVR and Navy, and I have all the old photos and documents at home in a box still. Amazing history.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I know Fury is supposed to be worth a butchers but I've avoided it because I'm not sure I can suspend disbelief enough to forget that it was filmed in Hampshire posing as Germany or France. Stupid really, considering Full Metal Jacket was largely filmed in the Docklands posing as Vietnam etc.
Its a great movie...definitely give it a watch.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Oxfordshire actually, if that makes a difference? And a muddy fields a muddy field whether here or northern France. The birds don’t wear berets either, you won’t notice. Give it a go, it’s a good film. You’re getting in the way of your own enjoyment!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I did some stunt work on Fury. In Oxfordshire. I can attest that the mud and the cold were realistic if accounts of the conditions in the actual theatre of war are accurate.

That film has many flaws but I can tell you from spending 8 hours in a dry suit and German infantry uniform lying in 12 inches of wet mud, it gets the misery of the situation bang on 😂

As an aside, that production got almost shut down on a number of occasions. One time being when they staged a full scale tank battle with ballistics and flash effects within hearing distance of the village church. On remembrance sunday. Didn’t go down very well with the locals. 🤣

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I did some stunt work on Fury. In Oxfordshire. I can attest that the mud and the cold were realistic if accounts of the conditions in the actual theatre of war are accurate.

That film has many flaws but I can tell you from spending 8 hours in a dry suit and German infantry uniform lying in 12 inches of wet mud, it gets the misery of the situation bang on 😂

As an aside, that production got almost shut down on a number of occasions. One time being when they staged a full scale tank battle with ballistics and flash effects within hearing distance of the village church. On remembrance sunday. Didn’t go down very well with the locals. 🤣
I rate Fury very highly. Pitt was superb as always and Shia's best ever film and the apprentice was excellent. A very good film

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
It's good to see the love for Hacksaw Ridge. An almost unbelievable true war story where the "hero" doesn't shoot at or kill anyone.
fantastic film. I didn't know much about it when it was released tbh - but once I started watching it I was gripped. A really well done movie.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Best western as well imo, concerning the end of the US Civil war and aftermath as well as the beginning of the end of the Indian wars. Went from dark to hopeful.

A bridge to far and Lawrence of Arabia were also classics imo.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
My dad took me and my younger brother to Leicester Square to see Battle of Britain when it came out. As the children of Polish immigrants we were blown away by the bit when the Polish flyers ignored orders and took on the German Luftwaffe planes. "Repeat please...repeat please"
Maybe you're aware of a strong Sussex connection? RAF Chailey, just north of Brighton, was an ALG built in the run-up to D Day. It was home to 131 (Polish) Wing - they included the famous 302 (Polish) Sqdn which had flown Hurricanes in the latter stages of the Battle of Britain; by the time they moved to Chailey they were engaged in fighter sweeps over occupied northern Europe and then, after D Day, close infantry support. 302 were the first Polish unit to operate from Normandy, just 5 days after the invasion.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Maybe you're aware of a strong Sussex connection? RAF Chailey, just north of Brighton, was an ALG built in the run-up to D Day. It was home to 131 (Polish) Wing - they included the famous 302 (Polish) Sqdn which had flown Hurricanes in the latter stages of the Battle of Britain; by the time they moved to Chailey they were engaged in fighter sweeps over occupied northern Europe and then, after D Day, close infantry support. 302 were the first Polish unit to operate from Normandy, just 5 days after the invasion.
Further Sussex connection is just down the road from Sullington. RAF Coolham was another ALG which housed 133 (Polish) Wing for a while before D-Day. A nice memorial was constructed in the 1990's just outside the Selsey Arms Pub detailing all those lost flying from Coolham. Went back to farmland after the war.

A tiny runway, can't believe a damaged Liberator force landed on it but it did (I think they took it to bits and drove it it off site).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here