Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Best War Film?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I just can't get past Daniel Craig and the bloke from Billy Elliot's ridiculous 'Belarusian' accents. Totally kills it for me. Craig is a poor actor at the best of times imho and Defiance isn't a great vehicle for him.

Opinions. I love the work of Daniel Craig. A brilliant James Bond, Munich is also a great movie.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
not necessarily my fav but one that’s not been mentioned and likeable if just for the music

633 Squadron

I’ll also just chuck in to the mix Tobruk
George Pepperd’s German accent is von-derful in Tobruk!

Kubes

Jan 6, 2010
My dad took me and my younger brother to Leicester Square to see Battle of Britain when it came out. As the children of Polish immigrants we were blown away by the bit when the Polish flyers ignored orders and took on the German Luftwaffe planes. "Repeat please...repeat please"

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My dad took me and my younger brother to Leicester Square to see Battle of Britain when it came out. As the children of Polish immigrants we were blown away by the bit when the Polish flyers ignored orders to take on the German Luftwaffe planes. "Repeat please...repeat please"
Help yourself everyone, there’s no fighter cover

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I just can't get past Daniel Craig and the bloke from Billy Elliot's ridiculous 'Belarusian' accents. Totally kills it for me. Craig is a poor actor at the best of times imho and Defiance isn't a great vehicle for him.
I’m not overly familiar with his work other than Bond…but his Bond is excellent.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
One that I stumbled across but rated very highly was:

About a Navy SEAL in Afghanistan in the aftermath of 9/11 and the War on Terror.

Mark Wahlberg plays the lead.
My ultimate guilty pleasure, seen it more times than I care to remember. Artistic licence taken with actual events, implausible survival from tumbling down the mountain. Arguably the ultimate 'guy war film'

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I prefered Gallipoli to 1917 as they had similar themes.
More suggestions:
The Light Horsemen
Midway (the 1976 film)
Die Brucke (The Bridge)
Malta Story
Tora Tora Tora
Battle Of The River Plate

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
A genre I love, but there have been so many from the original All Quiet on the Western Front to the present day.

I'm going to go for Cross of Iron. I'm pretty sure Peckinpah got the way the Eastern Front fought was accurate i.e. complete butchery.

I never thought James Coburn would be cast as a German infantry Sergeant but he pulls it off perfectly, the ending of the film is both awful and sublime...
Hamburger Hill

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here