Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best VAR game

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They failed. The referee should’ve been advised to send Kulusevski off with the first pen award, they’d have faced 70+ minutes with just ten men.

“DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY (DOGSO)

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball or a challenge for the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.), the offending player must be sent off”.
I haven't seen the game yet but I’ll look out for this when I do. I can only presume the ref didn’t think it was a DOGSO as the pulling was blatant according to Sky text commentary.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
They failed. The referee should’ve been advised to send Kulusevski off with the first pen award, they’d have faced 70+ minutes with just ten men.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball or a challenge for the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.), the offending player must be sent off”.
Yes this was another bizarre judgement. Absolutely should have been a red card as the foiling player denied a goal scoring opertinity and made no attempt to win the ball.
It will be interesting hearing the audio for that part as well. That along with the decision. I suspect an apology is inbound.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

The award of the penalty, and a yellow card, seems a reasonable punishment for the offence. Whether the incident did represent an OBVIOUS GOAL SCORING OPPORTUNITY is (in this case) subjective - Welbeck didn't actually have control of the ball, and might not have got to it first, had he not been fouled. Thus the officials were well within their rights to call it as they did.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Both Moder and Goodnight were booked for not retreating 10 yards quickly enough ???
Not quite the case. Bounanotte was correctly booked - he stood over the ball, then backed away, and THEN made another move back towards the ball. That second movement was always going to result in a card.

Moder's card, on the other hand, was RIDICULOUSY harsh. He literally had no chance to move before the card was out.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
The award of the penalty, and a yellow card, seems a reasonable punishment for the offence. Whether the incident did represent an OBVIOUS GOAL SCORING OPPORTUNITY is (in this case) subjective - Welbeck didn't actually have control of the ball, and might not have got to it first, had he not been fouled. Thus the officials were well within their rights to call it as they did.
Oh come off it. He was stopped making what would have been a goal bound header. That is the definition of a goal scoring opertinity.
Had it been the other way around the ref would have sent out player off.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
The ref also let Spurs take a quick throw -in on a break while a second ball was in play at the time. That was also very odd.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh come off it. He was stopped making what would have been a goal bound header. That is the definition of a goal scoring opertinity.
Had it been the other way around the ref would have sent out player off.
You can watch it again (at 0:33) here:

He might get to the ball before the Spurs defender who ultimately hacks it away. You could go as far as to suggest that he PROBABLY gets there first. He might not have.

It is really not nailed on.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
You can watch it again (at 0:33) here:

He might get to the ball before the Spurs defender who ultimately hacks it away. You could go as far as to suggest that he PROBABLY gets there first. He might not have.

It is really not nailed on.

Yes, as you describe the foul denies an obvious goal scoring opertinity. Height not make good contact or get their first but it is an opertinity to score. I don't see how it can be anything else.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes, as you describe the foul denies an obvious goal scoring opertinity. Height not make good contact or get their first but it is an opertinity to score. I don't see how it can be anything else.
Because if they judge that he WASN'T going to get to the ball first, then it wasn't a goal scoring opportunity at all. That element of doubt, is why he isn't sent off. :shrug:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Penalty wasn't clear and obvious anyway......

1703866485786.png

1703866515268.png

(Guardian)

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Because if they judge that he WASN'T going to get to the ball first, then it wasn't a goal scoring opportunity at all. That element of doubt, is why he isn't sent off. :shrug:
It doesn't matter. It is still an opportunity that has been denied without an attempt to win the ball. Even if the foul doesn't occur and you judge Welbeck MIGHT not get to the ball first he has still been denied the opportunity to get a shot at goal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Having seen the highlights I can only assume the referee didn’t think the shirt pulling prevented an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

I agree there’s a subjective element to this BUT To receive the ball that close to goal, even with a couple of opponents plus the ‘keeper ahead , is an obvious goal scoring opportunity in my mind.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Having seen the highlights I can only assume the referee didn’t think the shirt pulling prevented an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

I agree there’s a subjective element to this BUT To receive the ball that close to goal, even with a couple of opponents plus the ‘keeper ahead , is an obvious goal scoring opportunity in my mind.
Very much THIS. Mind-blowing people can interpret it another way.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Decent ref last night I thought.

And credit to West Ham as although they didn't attack much, weren't buggering about trying to con refs all evening

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Decent ref last night I thought.

And credit to West Ham as although they didn't attack much, weren't buggering about trying to con refs all evening
Agreed. I've like the look of this ref since he was promoted to the PL - lets the game flow and doesn't fall for the dives/cheating etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here