Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best VAR game

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
But they did stop play for this one? So that clearly doesn't matter.
I’ve seen numerous cases of the referee stopping open play to review a VAR incident.

Normally this because the ball hasn’t gone out of play naturally, and enough time has passed for VAR officials to review the incident and deem it worthy of review. This was all going on while the ball was in play, and because so much time had passed without a “natural break in play” the referee was advised to stop the game by VAR.

What was unique in this case, is the VAR official then appeared to explain the situation at length before sending him to the screen. Then another long wait while he reviewed the footage, before it was finally given.

Normally that extra on-field step is skipped given the amount of time VAR had to review the incident while play on ongoing.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
I’ve seen numerous cases of the referee stopping open play to review a VAR incident.

Normally this because the ball hasn’t gone out of play naturally, and enough time has passed for VAR officials to review the incident and deem it worthy of review. This was all going on while the ball was in play, and because so much time had passed without a “natural break in play” the referee was advised to stop the game by VAR.

What was unique in this case, is the VAR official then appeared to explain the situation at length before sending him to the screen. Then another long wait while he reviewed the footage, before it was finally given.

Normally that extra on-field step is skipped given the amount of time VAR had to review the incident while play on ongoing.
Combine that with the obviousness of the foul and it all combines to one really bizarre review, even if the correct design was eventually arrived at.
I assume they will release the audio of this at some point?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Combine that with the obviousness of the foul and it all combines to one really bizarre review, even if the correct design was eventually arrived at.
I assume they will release the audio of this at some point?
Really it should’ve been;

“Jarred, we recommend a pitch side review for a Brighton penalty, foul on Welbeck from the corner around 2 minutes ago”

Then pause and straight to the screen. The middle chat on the pitch seemed unnecessary given the amount of the time the VAR and his assistant had to check for handballs, offsides, and anything which would negate the penalty.

Just a bit slow tonight, that’s all. Relieved they got it right in the end. It was a blatant stonewall penalty, I don’t think even Spurs fans could disagree.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
2 goals chalked off

2 penalties awarded

Against Spuds

Payback

Not hearing anything bad about VAR ever again. (Until Palarse at home anyway)......
Their offside goals were ruled out on the ground. So was our second pen given on the ground. And not giving the first pen was the act of a half-blind bottling coward who hoped his mate in Stockley Park would bail him out.

The five reviews on the screen was obvious distraction behaviour. “My, this IS a tough one”. No it’s not, we all saw it from the WSU.

Bloke didn’t even understand the back pass rule. Complete charlatan.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Really it should’ve been;

“Jarred, we recommend a pitch side review for a Brighton penalty, foul on Welbeck from the corner around 2 minutes ago”

Then pause and straight to the screen. The middle chat on the pitch seemed unnecessary given the amount of the time the VAR and his assistant had to check for handballs, offsides, and anything which would negate the penalty.

Just a bit slow tonight, that’s all. Relieved they got it right in the end. It was a blatant stonewall penalty, I don’t think even Spurs fans could disagree.
I would want to hear the full two mins. They were clearly trying to find a reason not to give it. It's the only conclusion you can arrive at.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I would want to hear the full two mins. They were clearly trying to find a reason not to give it. It's the only conclusion you can arrive at.
No it isn’t. The fact you’d want to hear the audio suggests that you have no idea they were trying to rule it out.

It wasn’t given on the field, so no review would have ruled it out instantly.

The ref bottled the decision and was gently reigned in by his VAR.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Watching on TV as I was, I didn't think it was a back pass at all. He mis-hit it, and it happened to go towards his own keeper.

I'd have also ruled it non-deliberate and allowed the keeper to pick it up.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Watching on TV as I was, I didn't think it was a back pass at all. He mis-hit it, and it happened to go towards his own keeper.

This is how I saw it. It kicked at a very strange angle, it came off a different part of his boot in the wrong direction that he intended in my view.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
No it isn’t. The fact you’d want to hear the audio suggests that you have no idea they were trying to rule it out.

It wasn’t given on the field, so no review would have ruled it out instantly.

The ref bottled the decision and was gently reigned in by his VAR.
The fact it took so long implies they were either doing nothing or looking at other "incidents" other than the blatant shirt pull. That I am sure of.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They failed. The referee should’ve been advised to send Kulusevski off with the first pen award, they’d have faced 70+ minutes with just ten men.

“DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY (DOGSO)

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball or a challenge for the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.), the offending player must be sent off”.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Their offside goals were ruled out on the ground. So was our second pen given on the ground. And not giving the first pen was the act of a half-blind bottling coward who hoped his mate in Stockley Park would bail him out.

The five reviews on the screen was obvious distraction behaviour. “My, this IS a tough one”. No it’s not, we all saw it from the WSU.

Exactly my point. VAR didn't shaft us by an incorrect decision or chalk off a correct decision by the ref. So all in all I thought it was one of the better games for VAR we've had. Which to be honest, is not a very high bar to achieve.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
They failed. The referee should’ve been advised to send Kulusevski off with the first pen award, they’d have faced 70+ minutes with just ten men.

“DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY (DOGSO)

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball or a challenge for the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.), the offending player must be sent off”.
I think THIS is why the review took so long IMO. They were looking for a reason to keep him on the field.

They had to give the penalty but needed something to keep Kulusevski from getting a red.

The Spanish commentary were 100% it should’ve been a red

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The VAR process helped us not long after their 2nd goal which came from a short corner.

Spurs forced another corner soon afterwards and were looking to take quickly again, again we reacted slowly to this.

The ref brought it back as VAR were checking the Pervis handball. That break in play was of huge benefit to us in my opinion.

Spurs and everyone else on the pitch knew it wasn’t handball, yet the VAR process still had to take place.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Watching on TV.
The Dunk yellow, I got the impression it was given by VAR as potential serious foul play.
Or did the ref give it yellow without VAR input?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It really doesn't say much for the officials if they can't pick the Welbeck one first time. Utterly glaring

The offsides were harder to pick
And what would happen if he called it first time but incorrectly ? He would be crucified. There is very little upside anymore for officials in making swift and decisive decisions. Be careful for what you wished for VAR fans.
Same with all the calls for swift and decisive linesman offside decisions. People wanted VAR so if a lino is unsure he doesn’t raise his flag in case there is a goal and let’s VAR decide. People like Guardiola wanted VAR to check the big decisions but how can this be done if the lino has already raised his flag ? But apparently they should flag in case his players are injured. That’s football though. The big names are idiots.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Definitely not a back pass. I thought it was in real time so I’m not surprised those in the ground got it wrong. The reality is that he was trying to kick it away from goal but mis hit it and it looped into the keeper’s hands. It was actually a brilliant call from the ref.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here