Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best opposition players to play at the Goldstone?

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters, Bobby Charlton, Jack Charlton, Tommy Lawton, Hundreds More,

Personal favourites, Rodney marsh, Alf Wood,Ted McDougal (just for the abuse unbelievable), Chico Hamilton, Ray Kennedy (brilliant gaol for Liverpool), Johnny Haynes, the list goes on..

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Funny how you remember things - the great players at the Goldstone - Dalglish, Hoddle, Ardiles, Brady and I remember Billy Bremner playing for Hull. The great Liverpool and Forest sides of late seventies European Cup fame, Beardsley/Waddle with Newcastle etc. However, the three performances by individual players that stood out are none of these.. Derek Statham, a left back for West Brom, Garth Crooks for Stoke City and Justin Fashanu for Notts County.. all seemed unplayable in the particular matches I remember, the latter two against a hostile environment of racism too...

I watched a League Cup replay at the Goldstone v Ipswich when Kevin Beattie was incredible. He tried to play Brighton on his own from left back. He had everything. Power, pace...the lot. He took us on, again and again and again. Given a different lifestyle, I genuinely think he would have been one of the all time greats. Like so many with talent, he had a self-destructive streak and this took too much of a toll on his career plus injuries.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
me too , did he score direct from a corner from the South stand ? was very young so may have imagined that .

He did take a corner at the South Stand end, West side, from which they scored a headed goal. I remember my dad saying what a great corner it was.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
2 I remember not mentioned thus far.

Kenny Samson. We played Arsenal in the cup early 90s. Crumplin was our winger that day and got crunched in the 1st 5 minutes and then pick pocketed like a school kid shortly after. I swear he never went past the halfway line after that. Samson absolutely owned him.

Remember playing Spurs in a pre season friendly. They played a young unheard of centre half. Sol Campbell. Good God he was superb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here