Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best opposition players to play at the Goldstone?

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Definitely not the best but maybe the most effective - how about Kevin Francis. 6ft 7inches tall striker for Stockport in the early 90's..

Can't recall if he scored but recall him hitting the woodwork at least 3 or 4 times. Didn't need to jump for the ball against John Crumplin at the back post.

North stand singing "crossbar for England " at the final whistle was a very funny moment, as Mark Beeney gave the post a thank you pat and sporting a very relieved smile on his face...

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Definitely not the best but maybe the most effective - how about Kevin Francis. 6ft 7inches tall striker for Stockport in the early 90's..

Can't recall if he scored but recall him hitting the woodwork at least 3 or 4 times. Didn't need to jump for the ball against John Crumplin at the back post.

North stand singing "crossbar for England " at the final whistle was a very funny moment, as Mark Beeney gave the post a thank you pat and sporting a very relieved smile on his face...

Didnt he have an aeroplane celebration? Quite apt as flights had to be diverted because of his height.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Johnny Haynes in about 1958 Our own Johnny McNicholl early 50s. to name just a couple of oldies but for sheer ability and entertainment Frank Worthington has to be in the list.

patcham seagulls

Jul 9, 2003
patcham
Yes. We couldn't get near him and had a decent team that year.

Fair shout as a individual performance, its not often as a fan your loyalties and frustrations diminish to admire an opponent.
He certainly achieved that.

Remember watching Dalglish, McDermott and I'm sure Souness around 81.
Probably the most consistent and successful players to play at their peak against bhafc.

silverwizard

Nov 10, 2009
Kenny Dalgleish and others in the Liverpool team of 1979/80- Hansen, Ray Kennedy, Souness. They were class, only about 3 misplaced passes in the match. A good job Lawrenson was playing for us that day otherwise the score would have been more than 4-1.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Stuart Pearson for Hull (before his ManUre sojourn). His shot at the south goal hit me right in the guts. The *******. He was good though

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Liam Brady.

Bobby Charlton would have been there as player manager of Preston, but I don't think he actually played for them at The Goldstone.

Oh yes he did. In a 0-4 humiliation. I was there. :wozza:

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Liam Brady.

Bobby Charlton would have been there as player manager of Preston, but I don't think he actually played for them at The Goldstone.

Yes,he did. 1974. Ran the midfield. Think Stiles was playing alongside him. Preston won 4-0. I was trying to think of a modern day equivalent, but precious few of the current England line-up would make it in the third tier.

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
MIcky Thomas for me. Fantastic for Wrexham against us, and a few years later we signed him from some other team. Can't recall who.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here