Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best opposition players to play at the Goldstone?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Dalglish was the best I saw but surprised there's been no mention of Robin Friday - an incredible footballer. So much talent, so much waste

....the best footballer you never saw.
The archetypal model pro.....unkempt, long hair, drug addict, piss artist, womaniser, chancer, loose cannon...a man who prepared for home games by drinking with the fans in the Spread Eagle outside Elm Park. At 2.45pm Charlie Hurley, the manager, used to start the teamtalk, realise Friday wasn't there and send someone to the pub to fetch him. Clive Thomas, the doyen of referees, said that Friday scored the best goal he ever witnessed. An overhead volley from about 35 yards, that screamed into the net. Thomas admitted that he forgot to whistle and point to the centre spot as he was too busy applauding.
One of the great football pictures of all time shows Friday dribbling round a prostrate goalkeeper. Before tapping into the net, He paused, did the ' v ' sign to the grounded keeper and then carried on to score. He had a relatively short career, leaving Reading for Cardiff before begging Charlie Hurley to re-sign him at Reading. Hurley refused, saying it was more than his job was worth.
I saw him at the Goldstone and know Reading fans who watched him regularly. They all say that he did things on the pitch that they will never see replicated.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Liam Brady and the 79 Liverpool team. I can still remember how hard Liverpool players went into the tackle and how intricate their passing triangles could be - we were with th big boys now

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I was just a kid in the 70's watching at the Goldstone and looking back I can hardly see beyond Peter Ward, but when we got in the top league and I was a wee bit older and more informed I was generally underwhelmed, there were a few exceptions including Alan Devonshire, Ossie Ardiles but mostly I was impressed by how unimpressive most players seemed to be ................

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Funny how you remember things - the great players at the Goldstone - Dalglish, Hoddle, Ardiles, Brady and I remember Billy Bremner playing for Hull. The great Liverpool and Forest sides of late seventies European Cup fame, Beardsley/Waddle with Newcastle etc. However, the three performances by individual players that stood out are none of these.. Derek Statham, a left back for West Brom, Garth Crooks for Stoke City and Justin Fashanu for Notts County.. all seemed unplayable in the particular matches I remember, the latter two against a hostile environment of racism too...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
me too , did he score direct from a corner from the South stand ? was very young so may have imagined that .

He scored a screamer into the South Stand, from the West side of it. I don't recall anyone other than Kit Napier scoring direct from a corner at the Goldstone. :cheers::bigwave:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
One of the best individual performances I can remember at the Goldstone was Ossie Ardiles for Spurs. Absolutely ran the show and scored a worldie of a free kick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ardiles and Villa ran the game that day.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
maybe not the best technically but Micky Quinn's hat trick to respond to the you fat 'b*****d chants.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Trevor Sinclair anyone? Played for Blackpool one evening at the Goldstone and he was utter class. My mate and I just said remember his name as he will be snapped up soon.

Saw Elton John and Dennis Waterman play there also but they were shyt.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that it is impossible to pick one player out of the hundreds that played there many of which were top names at the time.How they would compare with todays superstars I am not sure

I think that it is impossible to pick one player out of the hundreds that played there many of which were top names at the time.How they would compare with todays superstars I am not sure

Well have a another think and come back when you have thought of one:ffsparr: Ecks sake if there is one poster who was around for most of our Goldstone history:moo:

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Some good names there...mostly from the bigger clubs. But, I hate to admit this because I despised him when he played against us, Warren Aspinall was a player that always seemed to either play well or get himself sent off against us at the Goldstone. I was standing by the tunnel when he got sent off for Pompey and he got into a verbal confrontation with a number of us as he left the field...was glad to see the back of him that day. The goal he scored for Carlisle one time was up there with the best. Funny how these things turn around, love his commentary now on the radio!!

Incidentally the best performance by an away player at any ground that I have ever witnessed was Steve Bull, Wolves playing at Newcastle sometime in the early 90's. A friend was a Wolves fan and we were in their end for the game. Wolves won 5-1, Bull scored 4 and had 2 controversially disallowed. he was subbed with a minute to go and given the biggest standing ovation from all four corners of St James's that I have ever seen at any ground for an away player.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Some good names there...mostly from the bigger clubs. But, I hate to admit this because I despised him when he played against us, Warren Aspinall was a player that always seemed to either play well or get himself sent off against us at the Goldstone. I was standing by the tunnel when he got sent off for Pompey and he got into a verbal confrontation with a number of us as he left the field...was glad to see the back of him that day. The goal he scored for Carlisle one time was up there with the best. Funny how these things turn around, love his commentary now on the radio!!

Incidentally the best performance by an away player at any ground that I have ever witnessed was Steve Bull, Wolves playing at Newcastle sometime in the early 90's. A friend was a Wolves fan and we were in their end for the game. Wolves won 5-1, Bull scored 4 and had 2 controversially disallowed. he was subbed with a minute to go and given the biggest standing ovation from all four corners of St James's that I have ever seen at any ground for an away player.
Warren scored a really clever back header against us at Fratton Park, he was a real class act. Forestieri is a bit like him.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
maybe not the best technically but Micky Quinn's hat trick to respond to the you fat 'b*****d chants.

And didn't he love it? Best example of a player giving it to the fans that I can remember (second place: Gabbiadini for Darlo at Priestfield)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here