Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best live album

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
pink floyd pulse is my fav.

Not as good as 'Delicate sound of thunder ' though.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
No mention of The Who's "Live In Leeds"? For shame.

Adore both The Jam and The Smiths, but find "Dig The New Breed" and "Rank", respectively, rather dull.
Dylan's "Live At Budokan" is a bit embarrassing too...

My choice would be Gram Parson and the Fallen Angels and their imaginatively-titled "Live".

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
SussexSpur said:
No mention of The Who's "Live In Leeds"? For shame.

Adore both The Jam and The Smiths, but find "Dig The New Breed" and "Rank", respectively, rather dull.
Dylan's "Live At Budokan" is a bit embarrassing too...

My choice would be Gram Parson and the Fallen Angels and their imaginatively-titled "Live".

Rank dull? But the way he rolls his 'R's in London or the way he sings "oh mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head".

...or the boy with the thorn in his side.....or Bigmouth

Bigmouth la de da da
Bigmouth strrrrrrikes again!

I think we'll have to agree to disagree Spur, me old china.

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Joe Cocker- Mad dogs and Englishmen

Monkster said:
Aren't albums recorded Live?:jester:

er......not sure what you are thinking there Monk?
A live album; on stage, with an audience, playing together as a group.

A studio album; usually overtracking, separate instrument recording, dubbing, tape speeds adjusted, any fault or bum note rectified, fade-ins/outs, effects added, vocals recorded at least twice (yep, most records we listen to have more than one of the lead vocal track, and they also do overdubs on live albums where there are imperfections, a fill-in wanted, or they want a solo re-done).
Nowadays they (or we) can look at the sound waves and even change, stretch, compress, smooth-out, or fill them on a computer screen. That still won't beat a simply well written song, but it'll polish up a rough one.

I once bought a Jimi Hendrix LP that was supposedly quality takes that hadn't been issued, but was most disappointed to find that many of the guitar parts weren't even done by Jimi!
It was some bloke named Jeff Mironov in a studio, who was re-doing some of the rougher guitar parts, or simply finishing ideas that had been put down already. :angry:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Hawkwind's mid-1970s magnus opus 'Space Ritual' - not a guitar or drum solo insight.

An educational album too - we''re informed that 'space is deep' !

Oh, and 'in case of sonic attack on your district...if you are making love, bring all bodies to orgasm simultaneously' !!

They don't make'em like that anymore....

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Peteinblack said:
Hawkwind's mid-1970s magnus opus 'Space Ritual' - not a guitar or drum solo insight.

An educational album too - we''re informed that 'space is deep' !

Oh, and 'in case of sonic attack on your district...if you are making love, bring all bodies to orgasm simultaneously' !!

They don't make'em like that anymore....

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Not forgetting the flying saucer special effects which involved roadies whizzing paper plates over the audience from the stage with strobes flashing..dead cool and lifelike:cool: :lolol:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
You can't SEE Stacia though, and it's never been released on DVD.

First band I ever saw live - Worthing Assembly Hall, 1974.

Monkster

Ragamuffin
Jul 7, 2003
The Token Carlisle United Fan
NMH said:
er......not sure what you are thinking there Monk?
A live album; on stage, with an audience, playing together as a group.

A studio album; usually overtracking, separate instrument recording, dubbing, tape speeds adjusted, any fault or bum note rectified, fade-ins/outs, effects added, vocals recorded at least twice (yep, most records we listen to have more than one of the lead vocal track, and they also do overdubs on live albums where there are imperfections, a fill-in wanted, or they want a solo re-done).
Nowadays they (or we) can look at the sound waves and even change, stretch, compress, smooth-out, or fill them on a computer screen. That still won't beat a simply well written song, but it'll polish up a rough one.

I once bought a Jimi Hendrix LP that was supposedly quality takes that hadn't been issued, but was most disappointed to find that many of the guitar parts weren't even done by Jimi!
It was some bloke named Jeff Mironov in a studio, who was re-doing some of the rougher guitar parts, or simply finishing ideas that had been put down already. :angry:

Cheers NMH.....I believe I was being sarcastic though:p

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Peteinblack said:
You can't SEE Stacia though, and it's never been released on DVD.

First band I ever saw live - Worthing Assembly Hall, 1974.
On reflection I think they are still the best live band I have seen - about 1980ish at Hammersmith Odeon from the second row in front of the speaker stack.

Space Ritual is the live album I play the most and it still sounds superb from beginning to end.

I saw them supporting Motorhead at Wembley Arena about 5 years ago and it wasn't quite the same experience - but at least I heard Lemmy with Hawkwind singing Silver Machine.

And can I put in a word for No Sleep till Hammersmith - especially Overkill.

Dave the Gaffer said:

Seconds Out - Genesis

Live - Genesis (1973) and then add on the live tracksi from the 4Cd set Archive 1969-75 (That's a complete Live version of The Lamb) and other tracks from the renowned concert at the Rainbow in 1973

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Did these two get a mention:

Babylon By Bus - Bob Marley
MTV Unplugged in New York - Nirvana

Both STUNNING!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Hiney said:
Misty in Roots - Live at Counter Eurovision 1979