Best live album

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Grendel said:
The Grateful Dead - Live/Dead

Good call but although I still have this on CD/LP rarely play these days.

Not sure about Deep Purple - Made in Japan. Bought this on CD a couple of years ago from the CD store in Kensington Gardens - not as I remembered it & after the first 4 minutes of Space Truckin' fell asleep.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
can't believe no mention of bob dyaln's 'royal albert hall' concert.

when he says 'play this one f***ing loud' before ripping into 'like a rolling stone' as the final song, i nearly come in my pants.

cheeseroll said:
Live albums dont seem to work at all for me, too one dimensional. Live music - yes and studio album - yes but dont mix the two up.

However and coincidentally (as it was the same year moreorless), the live version of Faith on the B side of the Cure's Charlotte Sometimes 12' and the B side of an Echo and the Bunnyman 12' (think it was Never Stop) were superb.

Then you ought to hear "What We All Want" by The Gang Of Four, on the 'Another Day Another Dollar' 12" ep.
As a single live track it's stupendously brilliant!

oh, and while I'm mentioning single live tracks - Jimi Hendrix 'Johnny B. Goode' is a :ohmy: and 'Hear My Train A Comin' off Rainbow Bridge is also rather excellent.

But....to cap it all in a 'live studio', there is nothing to beat 'Drivin' South' on the BBC Sessions album. That is just out freakin' rageous!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
My MP3 recorded from the mixing desk of jackson browne in the Long Island outdoor theatre in 1998 is probably highest on my list...

I can still smell the grass now :blush: :lol:

Tesco in Disguise said:
can't believe no mention of bob dyaln's 'royal albert hall' concert.

when he says 'play this one f***ing loud' before ripping into 'like a rolling stone' as the final song, i nearly come in my pants.

I liked his 'Live At Budokan' 2LP, he changes many of the song tunes, but still make them all sound fresh and as good as ever. I saw him on that tour, and he was raaaather good!

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
NMH said:
Then you ought to hear "What We All Want" by The Gang Of Four, on the 'Another Day Another Dollar' 12" ep.
As a single live track it's stupendously brilliant!

:clap2:

Can you hear me in the background? I was there when that was recorded (Hammersmith Palais 30/3/81). My favourite live gig ever.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
As far as single live tracks go, the Bad Seeds' version of From Her to Eternity on Live Seeds is the best piece of recorded music of any kind, anywhere, ever...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ezio - Live at the Shepherd's Bush Empire my favourite live album by a mile

tedebear said:
My MP3 recorded from the mixing desk of jackson browne in the Long Island outdoor theatre in 1998 is probably highest on my list...

I can still smell the grass now :blush: :lol:

I saw him in the mid-nineties, in Los Angeles on the 'I'm Alive' tour, and wished I had recorded it. 'Too Many Angels' was just beyond, as the support band of a female duo came on to do backing vocals. :angel: :cry: :angel:

The next show I saw there was Van Morrison, who I did capture on tape (and remixed 'up') - and that was excellent too.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
NMH said:
I saw him in the mid-nineties, in Los Angeles on the 'I'm Alive' tour, and wished I had recorded it. 'Too Many Angels' was just beyond, as the support band of a female duo came on to do backing vocals. :angel: :cry: :angel:

The next show I saw there was Van Morrison, who I did capture on tape (and remixed 'up') - and that was excellent too.

I've gone off J.B. a bit lately - but I listen to it every now and then and remember being blown away by some of it...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
tedebear said:
I've gone off J.B. a bit lately - but I listen to it every now and then and remember being blown away by some of it...

Voice has gone unfortunately and he can't hit the notes any more. Saw him at the Dome a while ago, it was ok but not great like he used to be. Shame but age gets us all I guess.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hiney said:
I uncovered an old cassette tape the other day - 'Live at The Roxy', with a load of old raw, classic punk stuff on it.

Slaughter & The Dogs
Eater
The Buzzcocks
Johnny Moped
Poly Styrene

and others

The sound quality is SHIT which is what makes it BRILLIANT!

:clap2:

I have that...sounds like it was recorded on a two-track tape machine hidden in a toilet. I went to the Roxy a couple of times - in fact, I saw Slaughter & the Dogs on one of the occasions so I could have been there when their track was recorded.

The Roxy was a terrible dive but to a young Gwylan it was one of the most exciting places on earth.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Trufflehound said:
As far as single live tracks go, the Bad Seeds' version of From Her to Eternity on Live Seeds is the best piece of recorded music of any kind, anywhere, ever...

I do like your taste in music, Truffles. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports