Best golf courses in the the brighton/Sussex area

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Slinfold is not bad at all, reasonably interesting holes, with a tee on the tenth on an island in the middle of a lake, you know you have to make a good connection!

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
holtye . 9 hole but interesting. right next door to sweetwoods

Last Summer

well f*ck a duck!
Jun 12, 2008
The Hill
West Sussex Golf Club is widely regarded as the best golf course in the UK never to have hosted a PGA competition.

If you qualify to play there, and can afford it, I think you'll find it simply the best golf course you've ever played.

West Sussex Golf Club

I qualify but at £70 a round i think that'll be a special occasion job! Looks lush though!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Having played golf in Sussex for 27 years and played a lot of courses, my view is as follows:

Of the Brighton courses, the Dyke is the best. Considering the number of courses around there, I would describe the rest as disappointing, West Hove being the pick of the rest. Good thing about them though is you can play all year round without drainage problems, unlike the mid sussex courses where I was based.

Other good downland courses are Worthing and Seaford Blatchington. Willingdon is OK. Eastbourne Downs is OK, but I often found it in poor nick. The old course at Goodwood is not bad either.

Littlehampton is a very good course and I am told Bognor is as well, but never played it. Ham Manor is very nice and Cooden Beach is good as well but best avoided if you dont like water!!

Inland, West Sussex is the best by far. East Sussex is very good, but not really a place for beginners I would suggest. Other good ones are Copthorne, Ifield, Mannings Heath, Royal Ashdown (the good course, not the old ladies course!!), Haywards Heath and Crowborough Beacon. As others have said though, the Mid Sussex courses all suffer from poor drainage and often resemble bogs in the winter.

Have not played many of the newer courses, but I found Slinfold to be a bit naff to be honest. Singing Hills was OK as is Mid Sussex.

If anyone asks you to play at Beauport Park in Hastings, feign illness!!

If you are going to play a lot and try to get to a reasonable standard, personally I would try to join either the Dyke or Worthing. Failing that, Pyecombe is not a bad course (unless you have a heart condition) and is a good, friendly club.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it wherever you decide to play. South Africa is a far superior golfing destination to Australia though!!

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Hillbarn again today, cant wait!

Golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf golf!

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
I'm a member at Royal Eastbourne which is always in good nick and a fair challenge to most golfers. We also have a 9 hole course which is ideal for learners / beginners but is also a good place to sharpen the short game. I used to be a member at Eastbourne Downs which is one of the best golf courses in the county but the weather it generally gets doesn't help for good golf. On a non-windy day its a great course and stunning views. Willingdon is ok but a bit hilly for me. Cooden and Highwoods are good tracks as well.

Not really a fan of East Sussex National but the greens are generally good - christ knows how wet its been this winter there as it doesn't drain well. Copthorne is a good track if you are hitting it straight, ditto Haywards Heath, Singing Hills ok but the same comment about ESN applies about drainage. Seaford is another good one but very long with a large number of 400+ yard par 4s. Seaford Head is ok for beginners but don't like it much myself as play is generally horribly slow up there.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Just for info...played Hillbarn today....and...

SHOT MY BEST SCORE AND BROKE THE DREADED 100 BARRIER!

96!!!

markw

Aug 28, 2009
Just for info...played Hillbarn today....and...

SHOT MY BEST SCORE AND BROKE THE DREADED 100 BARRIER!

96!!!

Well done, years ago i played my first ever game of golf at Hill barn and shot 100 exactly... i loved it and went back the next day confident of breaking the 100 only to shoot a 101 !

Let's Have A Winner!

Apr 23, 2006
Burgess Hill
I may be slightly biased here having been a member for over 20 years, but you can't beat playing a few holes at Pyecombe on a long hot summer evening after work to unwind! Sometimes you can almost have the course to yourself as well which is a bonus.

Most holes have a bit of character and I still don't find it boring after god knows how many rounds there...unlike a few other courses nearby which have a repetitive "up and down a field" type feel to them. Usually open all year round as well as drains well...although I generally don't touch my clubs between October and April! 36 holes in a day has nearly finished me off though many times...

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Playing Cottesmore,Crawley tommorrow - Phoenix course.

Anyone add anything about that course?

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Playing Cottesmore,Crawley tommorrow - Phoenix course.

Anyone add anything about that course?

Yep....played there several times.

It's ok....not as nice as the Griffin....some have the holes are a bit squeezed in.

Can also be a bit boggy in places so if there's a lot of rain tonight you'll be getting a lot of free relief (chortle chortle).

That said, it's far from the worst course i've played.

Have fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports