Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best golf courses in the the brighton/Sussex area

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Played Hill Barn on Saturday - first outing of the year. Was in a pretty good state really. As for others, my view :

Hassocks - not too bad, used to dislike it, but don't mind it now. It is cheapish, and usually easy to book.
Rustington - Shame it's not an 18 holer, spoils it a bit. Now the trees are a bit more mature, it's quite nice, very flat, and quite short.
Mid Sussex - Very nice course, have done the REMF match once, and played there at other times. Kept well, and usually not too many people about.
Singing Hills - Probably my favourite of the close-to-home courses. Having 27 holes, keeps it interesting. If I was to join a club, it would probably be here, for the variety if nothing else. Reasonably expensive.
Mannings Heath - Only played once, I remember it as being nice, but very tiring
Seaford Head - very hilly, too much for me. Great view up the top though.
West Sussex National - A bit posh from what I remember, well kept and expensive - but it was a comp, so I didn't pay

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
used to be a member of Mid Sussex until we moved away. Their course is very nice (albeit rather flat) when its quiet, although I always found the back 9 a lot tougher than the front. The club pro there (Neil Plimmer, if hes still there) is 1 of the nicest guys I've ever met. However, most of the club members I've met have been pretty miserable, angry buggers.

Want to play Singing Hills when im next down as its meant to be awesome.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Suprised no mention of Ashdown Forest. Was a member there for 12 years before moving down to the coast. Lovely setting, short but a very tight course.

wag chaser

Feb 18, 2009
H aving played most of the courses posted in this thread I have to say
Gatton Manor is my favourite.
Although strictly speaking it is in Surrey not too much of a trek.
They will take 2 for 1 vouchers and although quality course and facilities
no hint of snobbery

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Loved playing Lewes .
Up on a plateau with 360 deg views of the Sussex countryside .
Always enjoy West Hove as well . Seaviews in abundance .

This!

The 8th green at Lewes has AMAZING views. It's stroke index 1, uphill with a prevailing wind cutting across you from the front and to the right - any sort of fade and you're halfway to Ringmer down the valley OOB!

I like the hilly downland courses as they all drain well - Pyecombe, East Brighton, West Hove, The Dyke and Seaford Head - all cracking courses you can play all year round. They also give you a bit of a workout, particularly if you carry your bag...

I have a soft spot for Mid Sussex too - scene of my best ever round of 77. Further inland, Chartham Park (nr East Grinstead) is a lovely course - very well kept and with a signature hole (16th) over water. Royal Ashdown is a nice little course - I can only comment on the West Course which isn't a patch on the Old Course apparently.

TBH I can't stand Hassocks - is just a nothing course with some really odd holes. I also walked in the only time I played Hill Barn - it took 3 hours to get through 9 holes. To be avoided at the weekend IMHO.

What with the sunny weather and not being able to play for about a year because of work pressures, now I REALLY want to play!

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Ashdown Forest, Mannings Heath Waterfall, Crowborough, Brighton and Hove - my faves

BALDISBEAUTIFUL

Apr 4, 2004
Brighton
The Dyke GC is the best, drains well in the winter, and not too hilly. They have a very good pro called Mark Stuart-Williams and there is no joining fee.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The Dyke GC is the best, drains well in the winter, and not too hilly. They have a very good pro called Mark Stuart-Williams and there is no joining fee.

Is Mark rather lacking in hair perchance? ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I dont look good in peach or yellow wool or tartan. So I dont play golf.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
apart from the fact that no-one fills divots or repairs greens where their balls have landed!!

Try Sweetwoods outside East Grinstead. Terrific course. Also the Mix Sussex by Ditchlibn Common is a good course.

sorry about that, obviously your suggestions are far better. Not like it's about opinions, is it? ???

Spunk Bubble

Feb 21, 2007
Brooklands par 3 course. 9 challenging holes. Cheap as chips because the bloke behind the counter is always pissed!!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Golf at Brooklands, Worthing

:thumbsup:

media,67856,en.jpg

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
East Sussex National is the best in Sussex. You certainly get what you pay for! (a lot!)

West Sussex Golf Club is widely regarded as the best golf course in the UK never to have hosted a PGA competition.

If you qualify to play there, and can afford it, I think you'll find it simply the best golf course you've ever played.

West Sussex Golf Club

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Try Sweetwoods outside East Grinstead. Terrific course.

I'd go along with that, good value for money as well. Only problem is it's owned by a Palace fan. If proof were ever needed that money can't buy you class he is perfect example. He made his money by selling the Churchill Insurance empire and has recently has a little girl, her name....Crystal Alice Long. I kid you not!

East Sussex National is ok, but very expensive for what it is.

Crowborough is a nice course but tricky. Only viable if you are playing with a member otherwise you might as well play the national given how much it'll cost you.

Tillgate is a nice course, just a shame it's slap bang in the middle of a council estate in Crawley. Need to keep a close eye on your clubs during the school holidays.

Eastbourne Downs is good but f***ing impossible on a windy day.

Hever & Wellshurst both cheap and cheerful.

Royal Ashdown has one nice course and one pikey one.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I recommend the course at Brooklands Pleasure Park, in Lancing.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Played Mid-sussex yesterday and was slightly dissapointed overall. It didnt help that I played awful and the ground was like a swamp in places.

Not worth playing for another month in my opinion.

Found the holes quite boring to be honest....thats the best part of golf down south though, plenty of courses to choose from!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here