Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best golf courses in the the brighton/Sussex area

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Seaford Head is the best municipal course in the county. Excellent views too.

:thumbsup:

Really enjoyable course, suitable for beginners if it's not too windy...

Magnificent views, was in good nick when I played there and the 18th is a great hole to finish on.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Rookwood is a good municipal course and very testing in places
Cottesmore Griffin course is great in summer, no bunkers but lots of water, tight fairways and doglegs. The 17th is a great par 3 over water. Cottesmore
Gatton Manor is my fav, lots of water and tight Gatton Manor
Hill Barn is ok but can get very busy and slow, far too many bunkers
Hassocks again can be busy and slow and wet.
Mid Sussex nice course but I never have a good round.
Waterhall, hate it and will never play it again :angry:
East Brighton great views but bugger when it's wet and windy

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
I’m a member at Singing Hills and think the lake and river courses are the best in Sussex, bit biased I know, The valley as someone above has said is bloody boring, don’t play it unless it’s a competition.

East Brighton is a good course, the first few holes are boring but when you drop down into the valley it gets interesting.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Is that the one when you start high above it and the green seems a long, long way below?

Never played it but it must be a great way to finish a round!

That's the one! It's quite a short par 5 and you can really give it a whack off the tee - a great last hole.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Another vote for Seaford Head!

Stunning on a still summer's day & kept in good nick for a municipal course.

Haven't played there for a while, but used to do excellent breakfasts in the clubhouse - handy if you had a while to wait before teeing off.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Mid Sussex after all this rai should be interesting....i like the course but it always used to suffer terribly with rain, way more than most, probably being set low down perhaps.

If te weather is good you will njoy.

Last Summer

well f*ck a duck!
Jun 12, 2008
The Hill
Try Rookwood at horsham. great for a municipal.

Another vote... and still playing very well despite the recent weather!
Shot 5 under handicap there on Saturday so chuffed!

Mid Sussex a well kept course but very boggy recently i found... summer time it's superb!

Cuckfield has got a lot better with the new owner in the last few years, great scenery, just a shame it's only 9 hole 18 tee (always a hold up on the back 9 tees!)

East Sussex National & Signing Hills... IMO the best courses in Sussex, and some good deals out there if you look.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I actually just played Singing Hills today for the first time, River&Lake, and it was really superb. Quite boggy due to the weather, thank god I can drive well because off the floor you were hitting 90% mud and only 10% ball, quite difficult to judge the weight to put on it. But generally it was a lovely mix of holes, plus an island green a la TPC Sawgrass which was an exciting challenge.

I'm based in Worthing so usually play Rustington or Hill Barn, Rookwood is a beautiful course but a bit of a trek, buggy might be an idea there. Personally didn't care much for West Chilts, the shared kidney greens, very up and down, several blind tee shots, very narrow- would suggest its probably a course for a better player if you've not been playing long (like me).

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
Mid Sussex - Home of the REMF golf day in June. So it can't be bad.

Would also 2nd the vote for Rookwood as a good municipal course.

Excellent timing, this thread, well done Nigel for the mention.

I'll be posting information about the forthcoming REMF Charity Golf Day in the next few days. We'll be at Mid-Sussex again with loads of trophies, a prize on every hole, 3-course dinner and a superb raffle. It's for golfers of all standards, from 28 handicap to scratch. and I hope to see more NSC faces there than ever.

Watch this space.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
As a teenager I was a member for five years at East Brighton and thought the par five that goes all the way down the hill (4th or 5th hole) one of the greatest holes I ever played. Just loved the views! later I was a memeber at Rye for two years, which I have to say is probably the best course in Sussex

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
They did cut the rough down when they opened it up too the public, i assumed it was to keep play moving, it was more challenging with the longer rough, try out the Downs if you get the chance.:thumbsup:

I had planned on playing the Downs course, but was somewhat put off by the price!! It did look a much better course than the park one though.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Lingfield - but not until may when the building has stopped.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Try Rookwood at horsham. great for a municipal.

apart from the fact that no-one fills divots or repairs greens where their balls have landed!!

Try Sweetwoods outside East Grinstead. Terrific course. Also the Mix Sussex by Ditchlibn Common is a good course.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i suggest you save up and come to australia for the best value golfing holiday going , you can also stuff your golf bag full of the hard to get things that the english here really miss like jaffa cakes , texan bars , wagon wheels,cocaine and lsd....:thumbsup:

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
If you get the chance, Worthing upper for high handicappers, and Worthing lower for a sterner test.

Chichester Cathedral course in the winter is like a ploughed field, and long, and boring. (imo)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here