Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best British actor?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
John Simm.
It takes a truly great actor to convincingly play an insane character, which he definitely does in Doctor Who.
Also great in Life on Mars.

Quite like John Simm, he's not great but convincing enough in most things. Awful as The Master in Dr Who though, very bad casting, not nearly enough gravitas to pull it off and very drama school "insane man". No, you're quite, quite wrong. I'm certain. Another vote for O'Toole. Saw Benecrump Bramblefutch on stage a few times and he is very good.

mickygp

Feb 11, 2009
Robert Donat Star of 'The Count of Monte Cristo', 'Goodbye Mr Chips' & 'The Thirty Nine Steps'

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Daniel-Day Lewis and Gary Oldman piss all over Ray Winstone and Michael Caine.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't believe none of you have voted for Ross Kemp.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Ray Fiennes for me especially for the English patient and Schindlers but the outstanding British performance has to be O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia.

Alan Bates was always a favourite too especially for his roles as 'Jesus' the criminal being hid in the barn by the kids and Far From The Madding Crowd.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Didn't realise Christian Bale was English. I watched The Machinist for the first time this week- excellent film.

As for the best, Daniel Day Lewis or Martin Sheen for me.

Yeah it's a weird film but strangely enjoyable. He looks awful in it, I thought it was some kind of cgi lark but it turns out he did starve himself for that role.

Martin sheen ? Am I missing something there lol he's a septic isn't he ?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Yeah it's a weird film but strangely enjoyable. He looks awful in it, I thought it was some kind of cgi lark but it turns out he did starve himself for that role.

Martin sheen ? Am I missing something there lol he's a septic isn't he ?

Oops. Not Martin, Michael. Michael Sheen.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Alan Rickman is massively under rated IMHO

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Didn't realise Christian Bale was English. I watched The Machinist for the first time this week- excellent film.[\QUOTE]

Very dedicated actor but also reportedly difficult on set. Wasn't he accidentally recorded abusing various backstage people a while back.

He's also Welsh not English. Not that I'm linking my two comments in this reply.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Didn't realise Christian Bale was English. I watched The Machinist for the first time this week- excellent film.

He's not, he's welsh

Just checked wiki, born in Wales but lived in England, mum English and dad South African

Under fifa rules he could play for England Wales South Africa or China

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Agree with what has been said about Ben Kingsley and Sexy Beast. Glad that Gary Oldman has been bigged up to. I'm also a big fan of Tim Roth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here