Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best British actor?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Lately I've been watching alot of Ray Winstone and starting to collect his DVD's, think he's brilliant BUT I doubt he's the best. For me, It'd be Michael Caine then Ray.

Good thread.

For me, it has to be Michael Caine. However, I totally disagree on the merits of Ray Winstone. I severely doubt that he would feature in my list of top 50 British actors.

I also agree with others regarding Michael Sheen. He's a vastly, vastly underrated actor.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Olivier, Alec Guinness, paul scofield, mackennan,

I actually rate Patrick Stewart....seen him in a couple of Shakespeare plays and he is a fine actor.( and he is a town fan too)

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Surprised no one has mentioned Jathan Statham ;)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ralph Fiennes
Anthony Hopkins
Christian Bale
Daniel Day-Lewis

Last edited:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Olivier, Alec Guinness, paul scofield, mackennan,

I actually rate Patrick Stewart....seen him in a couple of Shakespeare plays and he is a fine actor.( and he is a town fan too)

Indeed. Mr Stuart is not known for Hollywood blockbusters, but is a fine actor when treading the boards. Plus he has a sense of humour and doesn't take himself too seriously, as seen from his work with Seth Macfarlane.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
George Cole, Alec Guinness, John Mills, Roy Kinnear, Harry Andrews, John Thaw, Pete Postlethwaite, Albert Finney to name a few more.......

If we are including people who have died, how about John Gielgud and Laurence Olivier.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Lately I've been watching alot of Ray Winstone and starting to collect his DVD's, think he's brilliant BUT I doubt he's the best. For me, It'd be Michael Caine then Ray.

Ray Winstone's a completely one dimensional actor, in my view, always the same character. I'd vote possibly for David Jason, but not really thought about it though.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
There are so many great actors, depending on your fav films etc. will depend on your era, Christian Bale is an amazing actor, his dedication is first class, from doing the machinist eating a tin of tuna and an apple a day, to playing batman, amazing

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ray Winstone's a completely one dimensional actor, in my view, always the same character. I'd vote possibly for David Jason, but not really thought about it though.

This.

As much as I enjoy watching the guy and love his films, he only ever plays one character: Ray Winstone. To be a great actor, you must be able to master a number of characters. Kingsley gets my vote.

Ewan McGregor. I recall seeing him as a future saviour of the Galaxy in one of the Star Wars films, and shortly afterwards as a shy and introverted BT Engineer in "Little Voice" - totally convincing in both roles.

Special mention for Ralph Brown as well, good in "Life on Mars" and in loads of other Hollywood stuff playing small roles, plus bonus points for being an Albion fan although Wikipedia no longer acknowledges this (edit someone?). Also the late, great Peter Postlethwaite.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Daniel Day-Lewis for me. Not only one of the best ever British actors but one of the best ever full-stop. And the best thing about him is that you suspect that there's still plenty more great performances to come.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jim Broadbent will NEVER let you down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here