Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bernardo off ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agreed - he looks like the odd man out in the squad, misplaces too many passes in attacks, flatters to deceive. I would not be surprised if he is back in Argentina by the end of this window

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one team in the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A I've previously not come across. Recently promoted from Série B? ???

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Lol. Good joke.

The NSC burning torches and pitchforks have been out for Mac Allister for quite a while now - although that may just be a very vocal and repetitive minority.

I think you’re right on that one. On the whole, NSC has been unusually patient with Mac and his adjustment period. There hasn’t been much to cheer. That free kick last night ( at an important moment) was woeful.
Let’s hope he’s about to turn the corner.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Lol. Good joke.

The NSC burning torches and pitchforks have been out for Mac Allister for quite a while now - although that may just be a very vocal and repetitive minority.

Do you think so?

I think the majority remain enamoured of having a player who plays with Messi...

I’m not writing him off and get the whole adjustment thing, but there has to be more application for me. The game passes him by quite a bit.

There was a lovely interchange in the first half yesterday and clever turn in the second, but struggling for anything else.....

Just hoping for more Ossie Ardiles..... [emoji2]

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He was so off the pace compared to last season. Made me wonder if he had coronavirus which can linger for a while

New and persistent cough
loss of sense or taste
can't trap a ball or play a five yard pass

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
He was so off the pace compared to last season. Made me wonder if he had coronavirus which can linger for a while

I think expecatations for Bernardo were iniitially set artifically high, because he was brought in to replace Bong. But I think the signs have always been there though. I've posted many times on how his passing isn't up to scratch. I do genuinely feel sorry for him though, because I thought last night he looked like a player low on confidence, which is never going to help him. In all honesty, what he probably could do with is a loan spell somewhere, maybe a decent championship side where he can steady himself and get his confidence back up.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It's another example of a player not being played in their preferred position and not playing very well. Not really a surprise, he's not a left wing back and Veltman is not a right wing back. If we expected them to play as wingers then we're expecting too much of them. Lamptey and March are first choice wing backs and we need cover for both, or we need to play to the strengths of the players who come in and replace them.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It's another example of a player not being played in their preferred position and not playing very well. Not really a surprise, he's not a left wing back and Veltman is not a right wing back. If we expected them to play as wingers then we're expecting too much of them. Lamptey and March are first choice wing backs and we need cover for both, or we need to play to the strengths of the players who come in and replace them.

You're definitely right. He's not a LWB.

He's also not a LB or a midfielder.

He's shit..... plain and simple.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014

I think thats a very weak excuse for a poor performance. I really don't think its a stretch asking him to play left wing back. Asking a £9 million pound left back to play as wing back is not expecting too much from them at all. In fact the opposite, I think if premier league left back can't play left wing back then its probably a very good indication that they shouldn't be playing premier league football.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
You're definitely right. He's not a LWB.

He's also not a LB or a midfielder.

He's shit..... plain and simple.

No, he isn't shit.

I think thats a very weak excuse for a poor performance. I really don't think its a stretch asking him to play left wing back. Asking a £9 million pound left back to play as wing back is not expecting too much from them at all. In fact the opposite, I think if premier league left back can't play left wing back then its probably a very good indication that they shouldn't be playing premier league football.

It's not an excuse. It was a poor performance. He should have been able to run away from Bailly when he was clear and a few times he took up poor positions. Maybe it's an excuse to say that he was being played in positions unfamiliar to him and anyone who has played football understands how different the various positions are to play. I think he's perfectly capable of playing left back in the Premier League because we've seen him do it, he was very highly rated in that first season in particular when he was playing regularly and knew the position he was being asked to play. It clearly doesn't benefit him to play infrequently in various different positions and I don't think you'll be able to come up with too many players who do benefit from randomly being dropped into the team in a different position but thriving.

Most players need a few games to get up to full speed and if you're expecting a player to be dropped into the team once in a while and put in a Lamptey-esque performance every time then your expectations are unrealistic in my opinion.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Maybe there is something in this position thing. Lots of players have suffered because they've marketed themselves as versatile and never really nailed down any position. Maybe he should just work out a position and really work on being the best he can at that, moving clubs if necessary.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
No, he isn't shit.

It's not an excuse. It was a poor performance. He should have been able to run away from Bailly when he was clear and a few times he took up poor positions. Maybe it's an excuse to say that he was being played in positions unfamiliar to him and anyone who has played football understands how different the various positions are to play. I think he's perfectly capable of playing left back in the Premier League because we've seen him do it, he was very highly rated in that first season in particular when he was playing regularly and knew the position he was being asked to play. It clearly doesn't benefit him to play infrequently in various different positions and I don't think you'll be able to come up with too many players who do benefit from randomly being dropped into the team in a different position but thriving.

Most players need a few games to get up to full speed and if you're expecting a player to be dropped into the team once in a while and put in a Lamptey-esque performance every time then your expectations are unrealistic in my opinion.

Leaving Bernardo aside for a minute. I agree that swapping positions is unhelpful to consistency but going from fulll back to wingback is not a big switch for a player. Its not like going from fullback to centre back, or centre midfield to full back. Its just a slightly more advanced position. An established permier league player should be able to make that switch, I would say that it's almost a fundamental requirement in the modern game at this level.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Leaving Bernardo aside for a minute. I agree that swapping positions is unhelpful to consistency but going from fulll back to wingback is not a big switch for a player. Its not like going from fullback to centre back, or centre midfield to full back. Its just a slightly more advanced position. An established permier league player should be able to make that switch, I would say that it's almost a fundamental requirement in the modern game at this level.

I slightly disagree - I think it's quite a fundamentally different skillset. Solly March has the appropriate attributes for a wing back, but I'd never play him at full back.

I can think of a few old school defensive FBs who would be utter shit as WBs.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
I slightly disagree - I think it's quite a fundamentally different skillset. Solly March has the appropriate attributes for a wing back, but I'd never play him at full back.

I can think of a few old school defensive FBs who would be utter shit as WBs.

I think the key part is "the modern game". We're not talking about Phil King playing a couple of games at Preistfield for us. We're talking about modern players being tactically adaptable in the best league in the world. Even modern full backs are expected to get forward and be able to pass and cross nowadays. Out of interest what do you think are the specific skills a wing back has to have that a full back doesn't?

Edit: sorry if that came across a bit confrontational, it wasnt meant to, I'm genuinely curious about what people see as the difference in skills between the two positions.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Why do people say he’s not a LWB? Neither is March, neither was Lamptey... not many people start off as a wing back, Bernardo has the attributes to be able to play there but doesn’t perform there, bit of a strange one imo, I think the biggest thing that lets him down as a LWB is his fitness, to play as a wing back you need to be super fit. His positional sense and fitness are his weakest points, which happen to be the most important attributes for a wing back.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Surely the doubters can remember how good he was in the season before Potter.
Do think many only think of last game to give a view on a player. Look at Solly. Had a good game against Newcastle and was outstanding in 2nd half against Utd. Many on here considered for many games before that he was very poor and lucky to keep his place. After these 2 good games now answer to everything on left side.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think it's unfair to criticise Bernardo's performance at left wing back against Man Utd when March and Lamptey have both had the chance to develop into the role. Lamptey is a class above, he could probably play anywhere but March has taken time to warm up to the role. He has played there more often than Bernardo does and I feel very confident that Bernardo would improve if he got a regular run in the side in the position. It is a very different skillset playing LB to playing LWB because there's more of an attacking intent for a wingback and usually there's a player in front of the LB to support. It was the difference in Schelotto playing RB rather than RWB. When he had the space to run into, the Greyhound was best suited. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that he should have been retained if we wanted to play with wingbacks frequently this season.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don’t be pedantic! Was referring to Mac Allister.

I wasn't being pedantic. I was being facetious. :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here