Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bernardo off ?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Don't think Burn is right as a LWB.

Honestly I think Solly March will be a back up for whoever we bring in as LWB, if we manage to.

Seems clear Potter wants to play with 3 at back and wing-backs. They have to be strong in that role.

As a professor in potterology I have to object to this. There will be more than one formation, trust me. And in a four back defense, Burn is still a great LB. And even if I agree he is not the optimal LWB, he wouldnt fail there either. New signing is not impossible but I think its unlikely. Perhaps this Gonzalez fella is targeted both to fill the LWB and backup striker holes in the squad.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As a professor in potterology I have to object to this. There will be more than one formation, trust me. And in a four back defense, Burn is still a great LB. And even if I agree he is not the optimal LWB, he wouldnt fail there either. New signing is not impossible but I think its unlikely. Perhaps this Gonzalez fella is targeted both to fill the LWB and backup striker holes in the squad.

Must admit Prof. did wonder about Gonzales.

Not sure about Burn though at LB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC

I definitely don't disagree we'll be shifting formations. But if we play a flat back four there will only be Burn as an option (unless we consider Cochrane?).
What back up would we have if Burn gets injured?

And for three at the back I still think we need a decent LWB.

I know Naylor said left back and striker are transfer priorities, and that was before these Bernardo rumours (news?).

I'd be surprised if we didn't bring someone new in.

I suppose there's always Alzate but please god let him shine, bossing midfield alongside Bissouma.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

all very well theorising (and i bow to your superior potter knowledge!) but we've been explicitly told that left back is one of the areas we're targeting

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
FWIW i thought Ben White looked very comfortable at right of centre which morphed into a right back at times, similarly with Adam Webster at right of centre becoming right back....ish

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Though Houghton who was a defensive connoisseur and international left back rated him.

It’s all opinions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yet we conceded less last season and generally looked more solid than we did the previous season, with Burn an integral part of the defence. The problems we did have last season were usually down our right pre Lamptey.

Got a feeling Burn is going to feature regularly again this season at LB and CB. He’s a very intelligent, reliable and under-rated player.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yet we conceded less last season and generally looked more solid than we did the previous season, with Burn an integral part of the defence. The problems we did have last season were usually down our right pre Lamptey.

Got a feeling Burn is going to feature regularly again this season at LB and CB. He’s a very intelligent, reliable and under-rated player.

Yet won exactly the same amount of games.
There is no way we looked more solid defensively IMO, however we certainly looked streets ahead offensively. (The other team score less when the ball is up the other end generally). [emoji2][emoji6]

Burn is a CB trying to play LB, the ball is frequently played inside of him, his body shape is often wrong and good teams play on him more. There is also the issue with pace.

We are not after a left sided player because it is an area of strength.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Though Houghton who was a defensive connoisseur and international left back rated him.

It’s all opinions.

Chantelle_Houghton.jpg

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
That was my take, almost everyone in the squad GP inherited was given a genuine chance.

Now GP and DA are acting on that full picture.

Ali J was given a couple of games, looked decent and scored two goals then didn't appear again. Not sure of the decision making in his case.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ali J was given a couple of games, looked decent and scored two goals then didn't appear again. Not sure of the decision making in his case.

Was also surprised about Ali J but then I dont watch him seven days a week in training.

As for Bernardo, never convinced. If he was Scottish and named.. Richards instead of being Brazilian and named Bernardo, I think most would consider him quite poor.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Those of us who have been watching more than a season know that Bernardo got stronger as his first campaign went on. He was one of our best players in the second half of that season and only injuries and his squad number not being drawn in the bingo style-draw to pick the team last season prevented him playing more games.

He offers far more going forward than Burn and March do, despite one of them having bizarrely impressive running stats and the other being a winger until this more recent reimagining.

If Potter doesn't want him, he might as well leave but it's a shame to see a good player leaving. It's not something we've become used to down the years.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

As the first reply you received said, the club would have the full picture from training and analytics eg work rate.

It seemed a bit harsh to me, but I’m just watching games from afar.

I’m sure the club wouldn’t under use a £17m asset without good reasons.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Was also surprised about Ali J but then I dont watch him seven days a week in training.

As for Bernardo, never convinced. If he was Scottish and named.. Richards instead of being Brazilian and named Bernardo, I think most would consider him quite poor.

But the previous season he was arguably one of our better players.

Once established he continually improved, just had a couple of injuries.

22 appearances.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As the first reply you received said, the club would have the full picture from training and analytics eg work rate.

It seemed a bit harsh to me, but I’m just watching games from afar.

I’m sure the club wouldn’t under use a £17m asset without good reasons.

I was hopeful for AJ last season, but he has very little pace, defensively struggles tracking wise, often switching off.

Will be remembered for the great goal vs Chelsea but ultimately the PL is a step too far in terms of regular football IMO.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But the previous season he was arguably one of our better players.

Once established he continually improved, just had a couple of injuries.

22 appearances.

Under Hughton he made 19 PL starts the same as Bong, with 3 sub appearances. I don’t recall him having any significant injuries and they’re not listed anywhere for that season, maybe a couple of knocks I’ve forgotten about? Hughton wanted an upgrade on Bong but wasn’t convinced he had it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Under Hughton he made 19 PL starts the same as Bong, with 3 sub appearances. I don’t recall him having any significant injuries and they’re not listed anywhere for that season, maybe a couple of knocks I’ve forgotten about? Hughton wanted an upgrade on Bong but wasn’t convinced he had it.

Got a knock at West Ham which put him out for quite a few games. Plus a slow start after his nightmare at Watford (out of position). My recollection is more him coming in after a couple of months and playing well, until the West Ham injury.

Don’t agree re Hughton at all.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Got a knock at West Ham which put him out for quite a few games. Plus a slow start after his nightmare at Watford (out of position). My recollection is more him coming in after a couple of months and playing well, until the West Ham injury.

Don’t agree re Hughton at all.

Think he was injured for 3 or 4 games after West Ham? Not sure how long the injury went on or he wasn't being selected, but we could debate that all day I guess. Hughton preferred Bernardo, I'm not arguing that, but it wasn't set in stone, he seemed to prefer Bong away from home, had Bernardo been his defacto no.1 he'd have started more than 19 fixtures given injury probably only accounted for a handful of games. Had he been absolutely trusted by Hughton, I think his appearances would have been around the 30 mark.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here