Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bernardo off ?

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Have always rated Bernardo and offers more naturalattacking presence on the left than Dan Burn.
With Cochran’s being lined up for a loan not sure Burn or March fit naturally in their.
Shame but another purchase who never got a go in the Team.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Friend who is a STH tells me he's shitehouse.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
This.

These decisions are made based on quality and willingness to improve, nothing else.

He got his chance in January when Burn was out injured and while it was not all his fault, I dont think it was a coincidence the team conceded three goals against Bournemouth and West Ham during this spell, something that otherwise only happened to teams named "Manchester" or "Liverpool".

7 starts, 0 wins, 4 losses, 3 draws, 19 conceded goals, 7 scored.

I think its not a great loss and that people who wanted to bench Burn for him are pretty deluded.

I think it will be stats based. Interestingly when you look at our squad's pass success stats, generally our squad was higher than most of the teams in the bottom half. Which almost certainly tells you something about how Potter wants us to play. But with that in mind Bernardo's pass succes was 73% which was average in some Prem sqauds, but 21st out of 25 in our squad. Essentially I don't think his passing was good enough for the style we play.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Hope it's true, he isn't that fast, isn't that strong, not a great passer/defender/crosser so why keep him? Only positive thing I remember him doing is clearing off the line vs Palace at home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think the opposite is true. I think he is a great defender (although set-pieces are an issue).

Bernardo strikes me a pretty typical left back. Very quick, tall, powerful and does not gamble with his positioning when we’re in possession and want to press the opposition. Does Potter want a typical left back though?

When Potter plays full backs, he wants something different to that. He wants a much better 1 touch/pass player and someone who knows when to gamble and stand on the penalty spot to give Maupay space like Burn does or someone who can dance around a player or two like Lamptey.

In short, like Duffy, Bernardo is a Hughton player. Perfectly capable in the Premier League but just not have the sort of skill set Potter needs.

Bong played as many games as Bernardo season before last and I don't recall Bernardo being injured that season.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Always got impression Burn has played instead because he is good at defending corners. Also is somebody for Ryan to kick it to

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Always got impression Burn has played instead because he is good at defending corners. Also is somebody for Ryan to kick it to
I always thought Burn plays because he’s a good player :) also takes out all attempts of the other side trying to put a diagonal ball in didn’t mess about with Triore :lolol:

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
He has all the attributes I would be looking for to sign a new LWB/LB, I don't understand why he isn't one of the first names on the team sheet. I'd love it to work out for him here

This all day long ! I really would like to see him being our regular LB / LWB - we would have to spend a lot of money to recruit someone better.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I always thought Burn plays because he’s a good player :) also takes out all attempts of the other side trying to put a diagonal ball in didn’t mess about with Triore :lolol:

There is definitely something in the 'kick to' part. I think [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] mentioned that Potter likes to have a tall full back who provides a reliable 'out ball' with a height advantage over the opposition full back. We've had a number of occasions where Burn have either been involved in or instigated attacks, either on the ground or via his height. (Winner v Everton is a good example).

There is more to Burn than just winning headers though. He's surprisingly quick for a tall central defender, and he's got good close control. I like him.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Strange one, Bernardo. I thought he did ok in his first year. He wasn't brilliant defensively but he offered some genuine attacking threat from left back. Or maybe it was just because Bong offered so little that it seemed a genuine attacking threat?

But with a season under his belt and Potter's reputation for more open attacking football I thought he would kick on this year. Seems he's been found out as not being any where near good enough for Potter's style.

Much like Ali J, move him on and let his career get going again, he's clearly not going to get much if any playing time with us.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
If this is true, you have to wonder if we have a new LWB agreed / almost signed.

I think Naylor said Rico Henry and Alfonso Pedraza are not targets.

I find the silence around Jamal Lewis very intriguing.
I don't know if the stories from 4 weeks ago are true, that Liverpool want to pay £10m for him, and Norwich want £20m?
No idea if he's a consideration but, if we think he could have a "similar" impact to Lamptey, I'd snap him up for £15m-£20m.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If this is true, you have to wonder if we have a new LWB agreed / almost signed.

I don't know if the stories from 4 weeks ago are true, that Liverpool want to pay £10m for him, and Norwich want £20m?
No idea if he's a consideration but if he has a "similar" impact to Lamptey I'd snap him up for £15-£20.
I would by him for us for £20 even pay his taxi fare to get here :lolol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

No idea if he's a consideration but if he has a "similar" impact to Lamptey I'd snap him up for £15-£20.

Most likely it will be March & Burn, maybe adding some talent none of us have heard of. Paying £20m for a relegation team defender that would be worth £5m if he wasnt British sounds like a pretty poor piece of business.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Have never rated Burn at full back and could never understand why Bernardo didnt play. Was very good previous year. Just shows managers have different opinions.

Agree. He was steady at first, but then quickly got found out.

I like Bernardo and actually feel he hasn’t had a fair chance under Potter, but then I don’t see him in training.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This.

These decisions are made based on quality and willingness to improve, nothing else.

He got his chance in January when Burn was out injured and while it was not all his fault, I dont think it was a coincidence the team conceded three goals against Bournemouth and West Ham during this spell, something that otherwise only happened to teams named "Manchester" or "Liverpool".

7 starts, 0 wins, 4 losses, 3 draws, 19 conceded goals, 7 scored.

I think its not a great loss and that people who wanted to bench Burn for him are pretty deluded.

Though Houghton who was a defensive connoisseur and international left back rated him.

It’s all opinions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Most likely it will be March & Burn, maybe adding some talent none of us have heard of. Paying £20m for a relegation team defender that would be worth £5m if he wasnt British sounds like a pretty poor piece of business.

Don't think Burn is right as a LWB.

Honestly I think Solly March will be a back up for whoever we bring in as LWB, if we manage to.

Seems clear Potter wants to play with 3 at back and wing-backs. They have to be strong in that role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here