Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bents goal celebration

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fulham fans waking up and Bent's goal celebration had nothing to do with us losing that game, it was losing all ambition once we scored and falling apart when Fulham equalised that caused it. Bent's goal and celebration were high points of the game for me.

Couldn't agree more. He celebrated with our fans, and as he went back to the centre circle for the kick off, he cupped his ears. No real histrionics, no charging over to them it was just a gesture. If made no difference to Fulham at all in my opinion. They carried on playing as they had been, perhaps with a bit more urgency, and we simply turned into a team without a clue. The capitulation was astonishing. I don't think it had a lot to do with Fulham to be honest. If you're going to stand off a team that much, and assume your fullbacks are going to provide your only attacking width, you're going to get beaten.

More alarming for me, was the confrontations between our players which is starting to suggest to me at least a fractured team spirit. Colunga and Gardner spent quite a while in the first half exchanging verbals after that cocked up free kick, and Bruno and March clearly we're disagreeing in the second half to the extent of a bit of a physical shove. Don't get me wrong, Bruno was poor, but we're chasing the game and he has no one in front of him down the wing. It is just so painful to see all that space and none of our players getting into it, and the Fulham team just able to play nice and narrow.

I thought we'd taken some tiny steps forward to improving, but yesterday was like a leap back into serious concern. Despite us being as rubbish or more so this season, I'd not necessarily questioned the team spirit before, but now even that seems broken.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here