Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bennett's Field no longer available - no parking season tickets

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Just wondering about whether the lane is too narrow for parked vehicles plus farm traffic………it’s a bit wider in parts towards the Housedean Farm end and there are often a handful of cars parked there on Sat/Sun mornings (almost certainly walkers using the SDW)

Not sure on the lane, but the lay by is certainly parked with cars and supporters walking to the ground.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
No worries, mate. You and [MENTION=34242]Neville's Breakfast[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

My current plan is to scream and scream until I'm sick. :wink:

Quit the screaming H, why not park around Hampden park area in Eastbourne, all free parking around the streets here, jump on the train at Hampden park which is a direct route to Falmer about 25 mins, and the best bit is it's free with your matchday ticket! Just a little inconvenience but you are closer to home from there and the cross country routes are ok. Problems solved mate !

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Didn't this happen once before, where the landowner decided to hold the club to ransom, and the club effectively said "have your field back" we can manage without it, shortly after which point a new agreement was reached

Not sure what Mr Bennet can do with a field on a hill with no independent access, and I expect a new agreement will be reached fairly soon

No independent access you say? What about this fine gate?

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.862...=343.2156&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656

I recall climbing over it circa 23 years ago when doing my a-level project on the potential for a stadium.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
It’s the access road for Housedean Farm (and others including some kind of pumping station or similar)…….have noticed a lot of cars in layby East of the farm on matchdays but never taken any notice of whether there are cars parked in the lane. I run along there a fair bit and can’t recall any signs about restrictions but as you say may be different on matchdays. It’d be an easy stroll to the ground of about 2 miles on a tarmac footpath that ends at the Swan in Falmer Village.

There is evidently some kind of parking setup opposite Housedean Farm (and a bit nearer the ground) next to the A27 too but no idea who runs it or cost - always cars going in on matchday and several people walking towards the ground on the westbound carriageway.

The access road to Housedean farm, the row of houses, etc usually has signs saying no matchday parking, and always used to have stewards there from several hours before matches(I often cycled down that lane a few hours before matches)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There's fair bit of free on street parking around Moulsecoombe and Coldean. Half an hour walk to the ground.
It's far from ideal but not many alternatives. Next season is starting to feel like a chore.

There was also a fair bit of stewarding and ill-feeling too!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
In past years when attending FA Trophy Finals at Villa Park, I pay parked at local schools in their playgrounds. The stewarding was done by the school PTA. Are there no suitable schools near the Amex which could be approached to offer this service?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
In past years when attending FA Trophy Finals at Villa Park, I pay parked at local schools in their playgrounds. The stewarding was done by the school PTA. Are there no suitable schools near the Amex which could be approached to offer this service?

Sadly there isn’t really. Nearest school is BACA but their car park is tiny and at the top of the Bridge car park so will just add to the congestion. Other schools are a bit too far away to be worth it.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Quit the screaming H, why not park around Hampden park area in Eastbourne, all free parking around the streets here, jump on the train at Hampden park which is a direct route to Falmer about 25 mins, and the best bit is it's free with your matchday ticket! Just a little inconvenience but you are closer to home from there and the cross country routes are ok. Problems solved mate !

Out of interest I sometimes travel from Hailsham by car and never thought of taking the train, does the train from Eastbourne stop at Polegate, and if so do many get on at this stop?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Out of interest I sometimes travel from Hailsham by car and never thought of taking the train, does the train from Eastbourne stop at Polegate, and if so do many get on at this stop?

Yes it always stops at Polegate as that’s a bigger station than Hampden park, there is quite a few get on the train there on match days but there’s always seats available generally until it arrives at Lewes when it seems to fill up, only draw back is the trains back tend to be full but they off load a lot at Lewes again so no problem after then getting a seat.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I am seriously pissed off with the club about this.

They sold the season tickets without saying anything about the parking - now they say that seasonal parking isn’t available having taken my money.

I know there are some on here who will defend the club at all costs - what else can they do? Understand their position. Etc

In my mind, there’s plenty they could’ve done. Just because it’s my team doesn’t mean I can’t be seriously hacked off about some very sharp practice.

This, in addition to have to pay £20 to transfer one of my season tickets to someone who has to be a member - unlike just about any other club in the top tier.

I think this could be my last as a STH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

They sold the season tickets without saying anything about the parking - now they say that seasonal parking isn’t available having taken my money.

I know there are some on here who will defend the club at all costs - what else can they do? Understand their position. Etc

In my mind, there’s plenty they could’ve done. Just because it’s my team doesn’t mean I can’t be seriously hacked off about some very sharp practice.

This, in addition to have to pay £20 to transfer one of my season tickets to someone who has to be a member - unlike just about any other club in the top tier.

I'm not defending them, but in all honesty the land owner could have been agreeing terms etc. all the while, and has suddenly decided not to sign or renew and backed out last minute. What do you want them to have done in this scenario if a car park they thought they were going to have use of, they suddenly haven't?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I'm not defending them, but in all honesty the land owner could have been agreeing terms etc. all the while, and has suddenly decided not to sign or renew and backed out last minute. What do you want them to have done in this scenario if a car park they thought they were going to have use of, they suddenly haven't?

You just did defend them.

What about the Sussex uni and Bridge car parks?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
You just did defend them.

What about the Sussex uni and Bridge car parks?

I didn't defend them - I asked you a question based on a potential scenario. You called it a 'sharp practice' which implied impropriety.

So your return question is whether on hearing the news Bennett's field was gone, why they haven't made the remaining car parks season ticket parking? I don't know, if I was to make an assumption, it would be that they cannot afford to have a single space unused on a match day with the reduced parking available. Seasonal parking tickets must mean that a holder could miss games or have transport alternatives and not use their space, just like an ST holder might not always use their seat. Just an assumption on my part, not a defence!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I didn't defend them - I asked you a question based on a potential scenario. You called it a 'sharp practice' which implied impropriety.

So your return question is whether on hearing the news Bennett's field was gone, why they haven't made the remaining car parks season ticket parking? I don't know, if I was to make an assumption, it would be that they cannot afford to have a single space unused on a match day with the reduced parking available. Seasonal parking tickets must mean that a holder could miss games or have transport alternatives and not use their space, just like an ST holder might not always use their seat. Just an assumption on my part, not a defence!

Seems like a big jump to me.

No Bennett’s Field so no other car parks either.

And the club cannot afford to have a single space unoccupied?

Seriously?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Seems like a big jump to me.

No Bennett’s Field so no other car parks either.

And the club cannot afford to have a single space unoccupied?

Seriously?

When I say 'afford', I mean with the loss of all the BF spaces, demand must now well and truly outstrip supply for all those that usually park on a match day.

If they transfer all the seasonal tickets to the other car parks, that will be all those match by match users unable to park - which is what I meant by the club not wanting any spaces empty when demand will be so much higher.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Surely spending a bit less time on here will free up time to arrange match by match parking on the club website. On the plus side no parking STs will give fans the flexibility to try park and ride and train - all free within the zone.

There will still be parking but just a bit less of it.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

I remember the fiasco about three seasons back when many people paid upfront for the season to park in Falmer Auctions car park.

They got no more than two matches out of it, I recall, before their permits were cancelled because the owner of Falmer Auctions hadn't got the required permissions. I don't think a lot of people got their money paid back either because he kept fobbing them off with an excuse that it would soon be sorted and they would be compensated by free parking for the entirety of the following season. He closed down and did a runner soon after that.

The place is a dance studio now. You could always enrol for dance classes on match days, park your car in their car park and sneak off over to the Amex in your lycra and leg warmers.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield

I am totally with you on this. Before I renewed my ST I emailed the club to see if they would be allowing people who previously had Car Parking STH to renewed - they said yes, once stadium occupancy is back to normal. Admittedly certain things out of their control have meant that they are no longer willing to honour this assertion, but people like me bought season tickets on this understanding. My drive to football is about 2 hours each way and the Sussex University Car Parking makes going to the football just about acceptable - now I'm unsure how many games I'll be able to make.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here