Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bennett's Field no longer available - no parking season tickets

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Seeing as universities are a bit broke due to covid (far less foreign students that they can charge much more tuition fees for) hopefully Brighton and Sussex uni will make more matchday parking spaces available in the hope of making a bit more money.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I am now considering parking some way from the stadium and cycling in. That said, with great big hills to the north and south, and the A27 with no cycle lane the only flat bit, I suspect I may be on a hiding to nothing. Will work only if I travel alone, too. For those who cycle what'st the drill? The information on the club site lacks any detail. Secure cycle parking, fine, but how is it secured? Any tips on a good place to park?

The A27 DOES have a cycle lane, all the way into town to the west, all the way to Lewes in the east. Halfway between Falmer and Lewes there is a road parallel to the A27 - farm access, I think - but you could park your car there and cycle to the ground. It's probably only 20 minutes walk, to be fair.

Worth investigating - I cycle to work in Lewes quite often, and have always thought it would be a good spot. If looking it up, one of the farms it services is Balmer Farm.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I have never understood why Southern Water don't make spaces available. Easy money for them.

You'd think so but in the end once they have had to do risk assessments, create a 'no liability for loss, damage or theft' policy, found people willing to marshal it plus change the terms of their insurance and public liabilities, it's just not worth the effort. A company I know of wanted to open their staff car park for air shows at a nearby airfield, charge £5 a car and donate the money to a local school as part of their 'Giving Something Back' initiative; once that little lot above became clear it was just a non-starter.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Indeed... looks like 200+ spaces.... £3k a game, £60k a season.... minus a few hundreds for wages. Money for old rope.

It's all okay until someone gets knocked over and injured or worse and then (notwithstanding the fate of the unfortunate person), the legal problems and arguments over liability begin. It really isn't worth going anywhere near it for the rewards on offer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The A27 DOES have a cycle lane, all the way into town to the west, all the way to Lewes in the east. Halfway between Falmer and Lewes there is a road parallel to the A27 - farm access, I think - but you could park your car there and cycle to the ground. It's probably only 20 minutes walk, to be fair.

Worth investigating - I cycle to work in Lewes quite often, and have always thought it would be a good spot. If looking it up, one of the farms it services is Balmer Farm.

I'd never noticed that. Easier walk than from Woodingdean. Do they put stewards there to dissuad entry, I wonder?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It's all okay until someone gets knocked over and injured or worse and then (notwithstanding the fate of the unfortunate person), the legal problems and arguments over liability begin. It really isn't worth going anywhere near it for the rewards on offer.

Every away game there are ad hoc car parks on industrial units, schools etc... it doesn't seem to be that complicated.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Every away game there are ad hoc car parks on industrial units, schools etc... it doesn't seem to be that complicated.

Well, yes. I agree - it shouldn't be that complicated and many smaller, more nimble organisations just seem to get on and do it. It's only when simple initiatives meet large organisations that everything suddenly becomes all too difficult. The amount of revenue is probably not a huge motivation for SW in the context of their annual turnover, but it would be great if they could do it and donate the proceeds to local good causes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'd never noticed that. Easier walk than from Woodingdean. Do they put stewards there to dissuad entry, I wonder?

It’s the access road for Housedean Farm (and others including some kind of pumping station or similar)…….have noticed a lot of cars in layby East of the farm on matchdays but never taken any notice of whether there are cars parked in the lane. I run along there a fair bit and can’t recall any signs about restrictions but as you say may be different on matchdays. It’d be an easy stroll to the ground of about 2 miles on a tarmac footpath that ends at the Swan in Falmer Village.

There is evidently some kind of parking setup opposite Housedean Farm (and a bit nearer the ground) next to the A27 too but no idea who runs it or cost - always cars going in on matchday and several people walking towards the ground on the westbound carriageway.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

That I don't know, but it seems to far removed, so I would imagine they don't.

But if they do, the cycle lane from Lewes is really not that far, is only very gently uphill, and you wouldn't have to pedal much at all after the game! There is easy parking on the outskirts of Lewes.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

When the Amex opened, they used to have stewards on the farm slip road and the next lay by before the petrol station. Last couple of seasons, supporters have been parking in the areas and it looks like 1st come, 1st served, and doesnt appear to be stewarded. Cycle from there would only be 10 minutes to Amex.
Our Seagull Travel coach used to go passed about 1-50 ish and they were parking there then.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When the Amex opened, they used to have stewards on the farm slip road and the next lay by before the petrol station. Last couple of seasons, supporters have been parking in the areas and it looks like 1st come, 1st served, and doesnt appear to be stewarded. Cycle from there would only be 10 minutes to Amex.
Our Seagull Travel coach used to go passed about 1-50 ish and they were parking there then.

Just wondering about whether the lane is too narrow for parked vehicles plus farm traffic………it’s a bit wider in parts towards the Housedean Farm end and there are often a handful of cars parked there on Sat/Sun mornings (almost certainly walkers using the SDW)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here