Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bennett's Field last night

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
Used bennets field for the first time last night, was shocking. Sat in the car for an hour without moving. Didn't get on to the a27 until gone 23:00. Not normally a moaner, but transport isn't great. Trains not much better

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I still don't see how it needs 15 stewards to direct you to the car park and zero to get you out.

i really think they need to divide the car park down the middle, have two exits and let ten out from each exit at a time.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't know if this is the right place to mention this, but I saw something that concerned me a lot last night.

For evening games I catch the Seagull Travel coach from Worthing, and we usually make good progress until we hit the section of the A27 where the traffic leaving Stanmer Park emerges.

The cause of the delay is 2 fold:

1. the traffic heading up the Falmer slip road, which is to be expected, BUT there were some absolute idiots driving up the outside and cutting other drivers up to get across and speed up the inside lane to try to overtake the queue. This was annoying but I suppose understandable as the queue was back past the Stanmer Park on slip.

2. loads and I mean loads of car using the entire section as a drop off point - which required all sorts of vehicles, from taxis to removal vans, to cut across both lanes of traffic, stop (blocking the inside lane) and then try to either cut back across (and turn round at Lewes) or more frequently fight their way up the Falmer slip road with everyone else, further adding to the queues.

The police / club need to stop this immediately, as it's really snarling up the whole section of road, as cars weave across the road to drop off / block traffic / weave back across. As I said, it's also blocking the people leaving the Stanmer exit slip, which makes that route less viable.

Rant over!

Would a change in the traffic lights sequence help??

I thought this might happen when we were delayed getting out after liverpool, given all the traffic behind us.

Tbh, it seems to be the traffic congestion/volume going up Coldean Lane to get on the by-pass for all points North and West. There seems adequate time for vehicles to turn at the light controlled junction but they can't readily clear because of the slow moving or stationary traffic in front. Numerous cars seeking to turn right from the road next to the Hikers (and others further up Coldean Lane) doesn't help either.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Tbh, it seems to be the traffic congestion/volume going up Coldean Lane to get on the by-pass for all points North and West. There seems adequate time for vehicles to turn at the light controlled junction but they can't readily clear because of the slow moving or stationary traffic in front. Numerous cars seeking to turn right from the road next to the Hikers (and others further up Coldean Lane) doesn't help either.

Fair point, there is no other quick way to get to the by-pass so if this is the case there does not seem to be a solution then?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
If driving/parking mares are making people think about using public transport as it's more convenient, and people who want a quick getaway under their own steam are now thinking about motorbikes and cycles, this can only be a good thing no?
This, especialy for the other car drivers no?

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007

There other cause of delay here is the pedestrian crossing on Coldean Lane where the lights are. The traffic can have moved well up the road from the pub but it can still be no go at the lights due to the crossing. Nothing that can be done about it other than go another way or don't drive.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Walking along Village Way to get back to our car we saw an ambulance struggling to get out past Bennetts Field and buses!!
Not sure if Dicker was in it or who it was.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Walking along Village Way to get back to our car we saw an ambulance struggling to get out past Bennetts Field and buses!!
Not sure if Dicker was in it or who it was.

Yep it was Dicker. I hope you werent the people who almost got totalled by the bus back to the race hill

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I stayed until 10:45pm and then drove straight out of Bennett's field, I didn't see a problem there

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I don't know if this is the right place to mention this, but I saw something that concerned me a lot last night.

For evening games I catch the Seagull Travel coach from Worthing, and we usually make good progress until we hit the section of the A27 where the traffic leaving Stanmer Park emerges.

1. the traffic heading up the Falmer slip road, which is to be expected, BUT there were some absolute idiots driving up the outside and cutting other drivers up to get across and speed up the inside lane to try to overtake the queue. This was annoying but I suppose understandable as the queue was back past the Stanmer Park on slip.

2. loads and I mean loads of car using the entire section as a drop off point - which required all sorts of vehicles, from taxis to removal vans, to cut across both lanes of traffic, stop (blocking the inside lane) and then try to either cut back across (and turn round at Lewes) or more frequently fight their way up the Falmer slip road with everyone else, further adding to the queues.

The police / club need to stop this immediately, as it's really snarling up the whole section of road, as cars weave across the road to drop off / block traffic / weave back across. As I said, it's also blocking the people leaving the Stanmer exit slip, which makes that route less viable.

Rant over!

You see the mistake you've made here is thinking the Police will do some quality traffic control. Nice idea though!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

Rant over!

I have to say PL that I find it hard to disagree with you on this particular subject travelling, as I also do, on a Seagulls Travel Coach.

One can see up ahead, in the slow moving traffic, the entire lane of coaches, cars, etc. stopping whilst totally selfish, no doubt arrogant fans are disgorged for their 'convenience' and to the detriment of the 'convenience' of others.

As you say lane discipline, which it has to be said many motorists have never heard of, absolutely takes a back seat as the selfish (bar tenders) push their way in.

Sorry if this grates on anyone but I sincerely wish that the OB will turn up and have a word / book a few of these miscreants, both where the WAGS
drop of their 'beloved' and at the roundabout at the top of the Falmer slip road where cars (and it has to be said) other Seagulls Coaches actually, as I understand, break the law by their action.

There other cause of delay here is the pedestrian crossing on Coldean Lane where the lights are. The traffic can have moved well up the road from the pub but it can still be no go at the lights due to the crossing. Nothing that can be done about it other than go another way or don't drive.

Traffic was slow moving all the way up Coldean Lane last night and the phasing on a pedestrian crossing is quiker than the TL's at the Lewes Road intersection. If there's another ready access to the by-pass or A23 northbound for the A272 at Bolney then I'd welcome some local advice.
Driving seemed the only viable option for us - public transport on the WSx/Surrey border (such at it is) is focused on getting you to Guildford and home by 6.30pm on a weekday, it's virtually non-existent at weekends. Bus and train options via Horsham/Billingshurst, train only really, are marginally better but also involve a 6-10 mile car journey and risk being stranded at Three Bridges or Barnham if you don't get away promptly from evening games.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You see the mistake you've made here is thinking the Police will do some quality traffic control. Nice idea though!

The one time the Police 'ran' the (BF) car parking and P&R, it ran totally satisfactorily, far better than any other game, since then the stewards have failed to follow the same format/methods and it has been terrible. But of course, don't let those points come in the way of your criticism of the Police eh?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As I said on the other thread, it took us an hour to get from the entrance to virgin/ esporta past the Amex which normally takes 2 minutes. This is a direct result of people parking on village way to make pick ups and blocking the whole fecking road right in front of the useless stewards. One twat in a black merc overtook a bus, swerved in front of him, and stopped, jumped out, locked his car and wandered off into the Amex...the road was blocked as the bus couldn't move and the stewards just stood and watched him.

We got home at 11.15

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
The one time the Police 'ran' the (BF) car parking and P&R, it ran totally satisfactorily, far better than any other game, since then the stewards have failed to follow the same format/methods and it has been terrible. But of course, don't let those points come in the way of your criticism of the Police eh?

The police did indeed do a good job that night (Liverpool?) , however this only happened as they were able to lawfully allow traffic to "jump" the red lights and stop the flow of traffic on the Falmer rd that was on a green light . The stewards though , cannot use the same approach can they ?

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Traffic was slow moving all the way up Coldean Lane last night and the phasing on a pedestrian crossing is quiker than the TL's at the Lewes Road intersection. If there's another ready access to the by-pass or A23 northbound for the A272 at Bolney then I'd welcome some local advice.
Driving seemed the only viable option for us - public transport on the WSx/Surrey border (such at it is) is focused on getting you to Guildford and home by 6.30pm on a weekday, it's virtually non-existent at weekends. Bus and train options via Horsham/Billingshurst, train only really, are marginally better but also involve a 6-10 mile car journey and risk being stranded at Three Bridges or Barnham if you don't get away promptly from evening games.

You could try going towards Brighton then across to the A23 and back out. I suspect though that it's as broad as it is long.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Er no it didn't. It ran better but far from perfect. And 1 out of how many matches? And this isnt just about BF but the surrounding several miles. Still, lots of OB walking around the immediate stadium looking for non existent trouble each match that could be used for traffic...most likely trouble at the Amex is ironically caused by club not managing traffic as the withdrawal of stewards in BF was testimony to. Wouldn't happen if was managed better

Have the roadworks at Old Boat Corner finished? Or weren't these a factor?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Er no it didn't. It ran better but far from perfect. And 1 out of how many matches? And this isnt just about BF but the surrounding several miles. Still, lots of OB walking around the immediate stadium looking for non existent trouble each match that could be used for traffic...most likely trouble at the Amex is ironically caused by club not managing traffic as the withdrawal of stewards in BF was testimony to. Wouldn't happen if was managed better

I didn't say perfect, I said satisfactorily. And yes, that was my point, it was the one and only time the Police took full control. So there is something to be learned there from the Police, so the club should go and learn it. If it means overiding the lights an fast-tracking batches of cars out, so be it, that's what happens at roads around stadiums all over the country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here