Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bennett's Field last night

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
What's the latest?. Is it taking less time to get away from the car park or is it still up to an hour to get out?
Has anyone taken up the option of transferring their parking space to the Sussex University car park? If so how are you finding it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I cannot comment on Bennett's Field but I did switch my parking space to the university. I have used it on occasion. Getting away is generally fine, no holds ups. The main issue is getting to it from the A27 for evening games. There is a lot of traffic and it took about 30 mins from the a23 to Stanmer Park last time I tried.

I now use the train from Hove for both evening and afternoon games and it's a breeze and stress free. I had a pint after last night's game, walked straight onto the platform and onto a train a few minutes later. Easy.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
What's the latest?. Is it taking less time to get away from the car park or is it still up to an hour to get out?
Has anyone taken up the option of transferring their parking space to the Sussex University car park? If so how are you finding it?

Sussex Uni last night, straight out but we did jog back to the car. I assume the longer it takes to get back to the car park, the longer the queue will be to get out. Liverpool we queued for about 20 mins to get out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Dex10

Sep 8, 2010
Ive found it to be much better over the last few games, last night we left the ground to go back to the car at around 10.20 and had about a 20-25 minute wait until we were on the by pass. People seem to be happy to que now rather than cut through which makes a big difference, plus the fact that the club are filtering the cars out with the buses.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I cannot comment on Bennett's Field but I did switch my parking space to the university. I have used it on occasion. Getting away is generally fine, no holds ups. The main issue is getting to it from the A27 for evening games. There is a lot of traffic and it took about 30 mins from the a23 to Stanmer Park last time I tried.

I now use the train from Hove for both evening and afternoon games and it's a breeze and stress free. I had a pint after last night's game, walked straight onto the platform and onto a train a few minutes later. Easy.

Am I right in that if I was to get to the Uni Car Park from the East A27 that I would have to go past the Amex, up whatever the hill is called, off at the ASDA exit and then back down again? Or can you turn off at Falmer from the A27 from the EAST?
(Don't know why I am assuming you might know the answer to this!!)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Am I right in that if I was to get to the Uni Car Park from the East A27 that I would have to go past the Amex, up whatever the hill is called, off at the ASDA exit and then back down again? Or can you turn off at Falmer from the A27 from the EAST?

If you are heading from the east yes you have to drive past the AMEX and turn off just after it. The Uni entrance which is at the Falmer roundabout is not in use on match days. All entry and exit is via the Stanmer park entrance.

From the east, to get into the Sussex University car park, you use the road that leads to the entrance to Stanmer Park. This involves leaving the A27 for the A270 road to Brighton and then using the underpass near the Southern Water entrance. Simple. Follow the signs for Stanmer Park.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
We were stuck in Bennett's field until a few minutes past 11, even though we were relatively close to the exit. The stewards seemingly made us do an entire lap of the car park after being stationary for over 50 minutes.
I'm not normally a moaner, but they really need to get it organised. It's too busy with cars and P&R trying to leave on the same road.
I highly doubt I'll be going in the car to a game in the near future! Train it is for me.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
If you are heading from the east yes you have to drive past the AMEX and turn off just after it. The Uni entrance which is at the Falmer roundabout is not in use on match days. All entry and exit is via the Stanmer park entrance.

From the east, to get into the Sussex University car park, you use the road that leads to the entrance to Stanmer Park. This involves leaving the A27 for the A270 road to Brighton and then using the underpass near the Southern Water entrance. Simple. Follow the signs for Stanmer Park.

Thankyou muchly gentlemen.
It's got to be the answer hasn't it. Bennetts Field is a disaster and it doesn't look like it's getting any better.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
You were right about working on your base fitness :)

lol!! This session was not in my Runners World sub-4hr schedule nor is the Bobby's Bacon Snacks in their guide to healthy & nutricious food!

Lush

Mods' Pet
If driving/parking mares are making people think about using public transport as it's more convenient, and people who want a quick getaway under their own steam are now thinking about motorbikes and cycles, this can only be a good thing no?

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
If driving/parking mares are making people think about using public transport as it's more convenient, and people who want a quick getaway under their own steam are now thinking about motorbikes and cycles, this can only be a good thing no?

Guess so and I know we've been through this before but 1901 was originally conceived to appeal to the corporate client with lovely convenient parking and yet the idea of taking clients and sitting in a car park with them for an hour until 11pm on a Monday night doesn't quite work.

Sussex Uni last night, straight out but we did jog back to the car. I assume the longer it takes to get back to the car park, the longer the queue will be to get out. Liverpool we queued for about 20 mins to get out.

We were is CP1 last night, took us 15-20mins to get out on to the Lewes Road.
Developing issue is the tailback from the lights at the bottom of Coldean Lane which seems to be getting longer - now almost back to the filter lane from the Univ CP. Seems to be due to the volume of traffic filtering on to Coldean Lane after the match - perhaps the club/council will pick this up during the Transport Management review?

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
We were is CP1 last night, took us 15-20mins to get out on to the Lewes Road.
Developing issue is the tailback from the lights at the bottom of Coldean Lane which seems to be getting longer - now almost back to the filter lane from the Univ CP. Seems to be due to the volume of traffic filtering on to Coldean Lane after the match - perhaps the club/council will pick this up during the Transport Management review?

Would a change in the traffic lights sequence help??

I thought this might happen when we were delayed getting out after liverpool, given all the traffic behind us.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Stayed till the end, clapped the players off the pitch, home in midsussex by 10.10 = BMW R1100 GS.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
95% of the match day transport problems are caused by cars leaving Bennett's Field.

Hopefully when they are reallocated south to the Falmer School site it should be a lot better.

TB

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
95% of the match day transport problems are caused by cars leaving Bennett's Field.

Hopefully when they are reallocated south to the Falmer School site it should be a lot better.

TB

You are right it is Bennetts Field that has/causes greatest problems. Clearly it is possible for both to exist (as per the game where the police handled the exit process it was 'okay') but for some reason it seems beyond the wit of our stewards to achieve it subsequently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here