Bendtner to palace

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Will they never learn. CPFC so busy spending someone else's money, happy to turn a blind eye to that rather inconvenient fact. Already spent more than the Zaha money. The wages bill must be escalating very nicely. Insufficient genuine income to cover costs.

Take away the Prem money and they are a busted flush.

At least we are trying to live within our means.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011

That's an irrelevant argument. They DO have the prem money so they can "live" within that budget like all the other Premier League teams.

We'd be doing the same if we were in the PL as we'd have this large income source that we currently do not.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Quote from Sporting Life:-

'Selhurst Park increasingly turning into a dumping ground for awful Arsenal strikers. Nicklas Bendtner's been seen at the Crystal Palace training ground today, with Barry Bannan and Adrian Mariappa also potential incomings there.'

albionite

May 20, 2009
That's an irrelevant argument. They DO have the prem money so they can "live" within that budget like all the other Premier League teams.

We'd be doing the same if we were in the PL as we'd have this large income source that we currently do not.

True but I would hope we could do a better job than palace of getting players in that would help us to compete in that league.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
True but I would hope we could do a better job than palace of getting players in that would help us to compete in that league.

Of course! When a club comes into money, it can be a great opportunity to invest (stadiums, training grounds etc.) and buy players that improve the squad. It's also an opportunity to squander it all :D I'd laugh if they did the latter.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Will they never learn. CPFC so busy spending someone else's money, happy to turn a blind eye to that rather inconvenient fact. Already spent more than the Zaha money. The wages bill must be escalating very nicely. Insufficient genuine income to cover costs.

They have now signed 13 players on Prem league wages and Chamakh was on 93k per week at Arsenal, although obviously Palace will not be paying this amount but I cannot believe the player would reduce his salary by more than 50%. Kebe, Thomas and Puncheon all on Prem wages, the bill as you say must be escalating and with a 23k attendance income which were mainly sold at Championship prices, won't leave much for the big ground improvement plans.

Hawaii

Banned
Mar 28, 2011

There is so much wrong with this paragraph it's laughable.

Hawaii

Banned
Mar 28, 2011
Are you the palace dullard then?

If you'd like me to be.

I have no idea how much we/Arsenal would be paying for Bendtner's wages. To be honest I doubt he'll even sign.

However the majority of our signings (Hunt, Mariappa, Kebe, Dobbie, Campana, Puncheon, Gayle etc.) aren't big names and won't be on sizeable wages for a club in the top tier. Plus they cost a grand total of around £10m in transfer fees which is money we had from the Zaha deal before we were even promoted.

I don't think stretching our wage budget slightly for one (potentially vital) goalscorer is being irresponsible at this level. We've hardly done a QPR.

PS, thanks for the avatar! It only took 12 years...

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
If you'd like me to be.

I have no idea how much we/Arsenal would be paying for Bendtner's wages. To be honest I doubt he'll even sign.

However the majority of our signings (Hunt, Mariappa, Kebe, Dobbie, Campana, Puncheon, Gayle etc.) aren't big names and won't be on sizeable wages for a club in the top tier. Plus they cost a grand total of around £10m in transfer fees which is money we had from the Zaha deal before we were even promoted.

I don't think stretching our wage budget slightly for one (potentially vital) goalscorer is being irresponsible at this level. We've hardly done a QPR.

Fair points. However do you honestly think these guys are SUBSTANTIALLY better than what you already have? They seem like mid table Championship signings to me.

Saying that if you go down and these are on longish contracts you will have some depth next season.

albionite

May 20, 2009
If you'd like me to be.

Shame you can't count you have only been on nsc for just over 2 years. Suppose it is to be expected coming from Croydon.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
If you'd like me to be.

Do you think the Zaha money may have been used to pay off the clubs debts or is it a case that Palace never pay debts?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Serious question to the legions of Palace on here today.

Do you feel even a little bit of remorse / embarrassment about splashing all this money around when you have left individuals and businesses bankrupt in the recent past by not paying debt?

Not being facetious. Serious question - does it register or not really?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports