Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Until this season he had only played IN LEAGUE 1. We were about to embark upon a campaign with a new manager, in his first season in the PL, his second in English football. We had an opportunity for Ben to possibly play an entire season with a good squad in the Championship, under a decent manager. It was a very good opportunity.

We OBVIOUSLY knew his potential as we kept him, kept giving him new contracts, and refused options to buy - all of this BEFORE he went to Leeds.

Steven Alzate had only made 12 senior appearances at League 2 level.

Aaron Connolly just 2 senior appearances at League 1 level.

Both younger than White, both with a lot less experience.

I suspect with Alzate and Connolly, they were both slated for loans too, BUT, and this is pure SPECULATION on my part, GP was able to have his say in keeping them and giving them a go in the first team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not sure I agree.

After a couple of weeks in the job "I hope we're keeping Ben White?"

"No, we've already agreed a loan to Leeds because our development excel spreadsheet said so"

"Oh, that's a shame, you're going to have to bring Adam Webster instead then please."

I don't think £20m deals happen on the hoof.

It could just as easily have been:-

'I want White to go to a top Championship side because I want Webster II back here August '20'.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nearly six weeks between GP arriving and BW going to Leeds - plenty of time to have a look at him. Besides, GP already knew a lot about BW - he wanted to sign him at Swansea.

It was close to 6 weeks, but they hadn't returned to training right? White didn't even come back to B&H preseason, he was already at Leeds. I suspect that deal was done before GP had a say.

Of course the loan plan could have been changed - it was for Connolly I believe. Anyway, I'm sure BW learned a lot more playing every match in the Championship than he would have done as fourth or fifth CB at Brighton.

Agree, as said above GP moved quickly to keep Connolly and Alzate in the setup when they were likely both being loaned out. Only GP will be able to answer whether he was frustrated BW had been loaned out, having already rated him as you say.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

I suspect with Alzate and Connolly, they were both slated for loans too, BUT, and this is pure SPECULATION on my part, GP was able to have his say in keeping them and giving them a go in the first team.

But our options in those positions compared to CB are miles apart, and the opportunity for Ben at Leeds almost certainly better than anything for Connolly and Alzate. We didn't really have much of a decision to make on those

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

But that's a striker and a utility player, kept in a squad.
Best not forget the USP that got Potter the job in the first place - I can win with kidz.

Keeping White the centre back would be somewhat wasteful when the club already had half a dozen other centre backs for a season when centre back was never a problem position, with or without Webster.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't think £20m deals happen on the hoof.

It could just as easily have been:-

'I want White to go to a top Championship side because I want Webster II back here August '20'.

Honestly Stat, I don't think there is anyway GP would have let BW go a full month ahead of confirming the signing of Webster, a deal that could easily have fallen through. Had we signed Webster THEN loaned out White, you may have a point, the fact it was the other way round suggests what you're saying didn't happen.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But that's a striker and a utility player, kept in a squad.
Best not forget the USP that got Potter the job in the first place - I can win with kidz.

Keeping White the centre back would be somewhat wasteful when the club already had half a dozen other centre backs for a season when centre back was never a problem position, with or without Webster.

Sorry, isn't one of White's strengths that he can play defensive midfield as well as CB and RB? Hardly a USP that we couldn't have done without last season?

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
You do realize how big the Leeds-Bradford area is don't you?

It's much larger than Liverpool and it's not shared by two clubs. err have you not heard that Bradford have a team based in err Bradford?

Kinnear has stated that with TV revenue, new kit deals and a new major sponsor, they are forecasting Leeds will be in the top 7 of EPL revenue earners in 2020. Many a forecast has been missed

West Ham were 7th with revenue of ~£190M in 2019. Tottenham were 6th with ~£365M . Leeds will slot in somewhere probably north of £200M. Be interesting to review this point next year

Everton were 8th. Brighton were 15th with £132M.

Leeds revenue absolutely dwarfed the next largest in the Championship and that includes the likes Fulhum, Derby, West Brom, Middlesbrough, Forest, Swansea, Cardiff etc. What were the revenues of the “mighty” Leeds and the others that you refer to? You seem so well informed of PL revenues.

You can talk shit about them as much as possible regarding White, call their fans ****ing idiots etc, but their fans rock up, they pay their hard earned. They are one of the biggest kit sellers in the UK and have 30k on their waiting list for a season ticket at ER, they would be able to sell it out two times over this coming season if the fans were allowed back.. Commercially, they are a huge club. and given any sort of ongoing success, probably have as much potential growth to reach the next tier of someone like Tottenham's revenue level as any other side in the league. Glory hunters who only come out of the woodwork to support the love of their life when they play in the PL - where have they all been for the past 16 years?

Including your beloved Everton.

They haven't broken the bank buying their way into the league under Bielsa, infact they've spent basically nothing in the previous 2 transfer windows. Low wage bill etc means if they consolidate in the PL, they will probably improve fairly rapidly with a lot of net income at their disposal. Especially when you think how much Everton and West Ham have unloaded in the transfer market recently and they will have very comparable revenue levels.did on loans so on the cheap. But now we want our player back you will have to spend plus replace others that even your own have admitted might not cut the cloth - be interesting see how much the transfer market takes from that “lot of net income”

So enjoy the shithousery, but hope like hell they get relegated, because you have all of about 12 more weeks to enjoy any sort of financial advantage over them.
it’s been a laugh a minute which quite possibly may continue for quite a few months yet

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So he's good at being a runner up then. 6 titles, only 1 of them of any significant value. in 40 odd years for a manager who you claim as some kind of messiah is not good is it.

And he's also 20 years older than Potter - of course he has achieved more.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
You do realize how big the Leeds-Bradford area is don't you?

It's much larger than Liverpool and it's not shared by two clubs.

Kinnear has stated that with TV revenue, new kit deals and a new major sponsor, they are forecasting Leeds will be in the top 7 of EPL revenue earners in 2020.

West Ham were 7th with revenue of ~£190M in 2019. Tottenham were 6th with ~£365M . Leeds will slot in somewhere probably north of £200M.

Everton were 8th. Brighton were 15th with £132M.

Leeds revenue absolutely dwarfed the next largest in the Championship and that includes the likes Fulhum, Derby, West Brom, Middlesbrough, Forest, Swansea, Cardiff etc.

You can talk shit about them as much as possible regarding White, call their fans ****ing idiots etc, but their fans rock up, they pay their hard earned. They are one of the biggest kit sellers in the UK and have 30k on their waiting list for a season ticket at ER, they would be able to sell it out two times over this coming season if the fans were allowed back.. Commercially, they are a huge club. and given any sort of ongoing success, probably have as much potential growth to reach the next tier of someone like Tottenham's revenue level as any other side in the league.

Including your beloved Everton.

They haven't broken the bank buying their way into the league under Bielsa, infact they've spent basically nothing in the previous 2 transfer windows. Low wage bill etc means if they consolidate in the PL, they will probably improve fairly rapidly with a lot of net income at their disposal. Especially when you think how much Everton and West Ham have unloaded in the transfer market recently and they will have very comparable revenue levels.

So enjoy the shithousery, but hope like hell they get relegated, because you have all of about 12 more weeks to enjoy any sort of financial advantage over them.

You're still pretending to not be a Leeds fan? Pathetic.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry, isn't one of White's strengths that he can play defensive midfield as well as CB and RB? Hardly a USP that we couldn't have done without last season?
I think you're putting an awful lot of faith in hindsight.

Naylor is reporting Jocko is "amazed" by just how fast the EPL is.

Nobody other than Leeds are saying BW is a surprise.

We all knew he could be the business and now he is.

He's had textbook loans while with the Albion and has returned Premier League Ready, I genuinely don't see what more the club could have done.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
You really are thick. Much of our support comes from West Sussex.

So add that in, then actually add, you know, Brighton and Hove while you’re at it 😂

Ha, indeed. Combined total of East and West and Brighton & Hove is apx 2 million.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Would be funny to see White pull on a red shirt against Leeds in the opening fixture, while we sit laughing with around £55 million in the bank.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Leeds managing director was just on Sky Sports News. He said it will be very challenging to sign Ben White and they have other targets so it does seem they are on the verge of giving up.

The water levels on the River Aire will be rising as we speak, with the tears of Leeds fans. Flood alert warnings downriver in Castleford.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Quite. We don't know, he doesn't really know, Potter probably doesn't know until he actually tries him in a PL game in a role.

For White, he does know exactly what his role will be at the club who wants to sign him, and that he'd likely play every game. Forgetting all the sniping at Leeds fans for a second, I don't think we've put ourselves in a great position with this one, I think his success has come as a big surprise, and unlike some, I don't think we did see his potential as being quite what has happened at Leeds for him. Why on earth would we have loaned him out if we saw the potential that he is showing now last summer?

why would we have refused leeds a clause to buy if we didn't think there was more to come from him?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I've bet my Leeds supporting boss £10 that White WON'T be a Leeds player when the window closes. Safe bet?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here