Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White Question

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes, as it happens, but that was never my point.

If you go back to.my initial comment, you will see that I was saying that if the Albion end up paying out PL wages for extra months if the season is extended ( and there will be no extra TV income for this, by the way ) and then got relegated - meaning no PL income next season ( except flimsy parachutes which won't take this crisis into account ) - then the Albion will be in a deep financial mess. In this case big money player sale(s) would be needed.

Liverpool and others know they will not be relegated, so they know they can weather the storm and the above does not apply to them.

In summary, I fear for any PL club that is relegated this year if the season is extended as they will have bigger losses than normal if the season is extended, and small TV revenue next year ( even with pathetic, non adjusted for the crisis, parachutes ).

Sorry, I was just attempting a quantum mechanical joke

https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/superposition

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
People seem to forget that we have another youngster out on loan who’s been equally impressive who could easily slot in next season I wouldn’t be surprised if we sold white to Liverpool and kept the better option with us

Molumbey's not a CB.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think he means Ostigard, but I think hes out of cotract in the summer, I hope we convince him to sign a new one.
I believe we have an option to extend Ostigard's deal in the summer for a year, but of course we'll want him to sign a new deal regardless.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I’ve seen a bit of him at st Paulie I think he could step up to be on the bench rotation next season

If that is the case then even better, I know he says that now he only wants first team football and if we gave it to him then he would more likely sign a longer term contract.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Even without all of this - we're on track to make even bigger losses than last season. Who could blame Tony Bloom if he couldn't keep subsidising £20M+ every year

Selling good young and relatively low wage players with a substantial potential value uplift in the future before that value is realised is the quickest way to double those losses. Duffy and for that matter Dunk are probably at their peak in terms of value and it would make more financial sense to sell one of those than White. It may well in Duffy's case in particular make sense from a footballing sense too...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Selling good young and relatively low wage players with a substantial potential value uplift in the future before that value is realised is the quickest way to double those losses. Duffy and for that matter Dunk are probably at their peak in terms of value and it would make more financial sense to sell one of those than White. It may well in Duffy's case in particular make sense from a footballing sense too...

Can't see us getting much for Duffy in all honesty. Dunk possibly but to who and at what cost?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Can't see us getting much for Duffy in all honesty. Dunk possibly but to who and at what cost?

As an albion fan you may see duffys faults, particularly in potters intricate system.
But clubs with a more agricultural set up may seem him as one half of the dunkandduffy wall, main man at Ireland and a tried and tested premier league defender.
At the right club Duffy will be a big asset.
We should push for big money on those grounds.
Whatever the case, he should make way for white.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As an albion fan you may see duffys faults but other clubs may seem him as one half of the dunkandduffy wall, main man at Ireland and a tried and tested premier league defender.
We should push for big money on those grounds.

No I've always thought that, I don't think he is a bad player just not sure what his level is if he falls down the pecking order here. His Irish CB pairing was Richard Keogh which hardly says much for Republic of Irelands choices at CB. Who do you think would buy Duffy?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
No I've always thought that, I don't think he is a bad player just not sure what his level is if he falls down the pecking order here. His Irish CB pairing was Richard Keogh which hardly says much for Republic of Irelands choices at CB. Who do you think would buy Duffy?

If Burnley lost one of their cbs they could do a lot worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here