Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White Question

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We are a club of honour, I expect us to extend the deal with Leeds if required

They have a considerable amount of players on loan, this could be a huge problem for them

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Maybe. Depends on the loan fee for the extension and whether we are still happy with the wages split ?

No, we're not that sort of club. We're not penny pinching by not paying staff, and we're not going to claw any clubs eyes out. If the season is extended, the loan deal will be extended in good faith. That's how you do business, and it's how you continue to get the best business going forward. Other clubs can worry about being morally bankrupt, but it won't be a problem our club has.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No, we're not that sort of club. We're not penny pinching by not paying staff, and we're not going to claw any clubs eyes out. If the season is extended, the loan deal will be extended in good faith. That's how you do business, and it's how you continue to get the best business going forward. Other clubs can worry about being morally bankrupt, but it won't be a problem our club has.

Who is funding the wages if next season starts late because this one is extended ? Sky ?

I suspect there may be some harsh financial decisions made if the season goes beyond May 31st, with no Sky money (or parachutes) for the new season until it starts.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Football insider now reporting he will not be coming back because we are well set with defenders and Leeds looking to offer 35m. Think the writer was a Leeds fan

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
We are a club of honour, I expect us to extend the deal with Leeds if required

They have a considerable amount of players on loan, this could be a huge problem for them

Apologies I haven't really been following this very closely. However I can't see how the season can be extended beyond the end of June. It isn't about clubs acting honourably, but more about player power, as the Bosman case demonstrated.

Just trying to step through this logically.

1 Football finance will be a mess and FFP will be swept aside in the short term.
2 Players will have their contractual freedom of movement legally underwritten (especially where contracts have expired), but also through fire sales supported by club owners looking to cut their losses.

To continue an old season with a new set of players, would be a farce. For example lets say a rich Midlands based club, decides to buy an entire new team in June and the season doesn't start until November. how does this competition relate to the 19/20 season?

For me this season will see a number of incremental delays, right up until the point it is no longer feasible to complete the season by the end of June. It would be astonishing if there were not a set of force majeure rules, although if they exist, you would think they would have leaked out by now.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
The main reason that the Premier League clubs try to get the season completed is because if not they would have to pay the TV companies £750 million back that was paid to them in February.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Football insider now reporting he will not be coming back because we are well set with defenders and Leeds looking to offer 35m. Think the writer was a Leeds fan

Good to see he is blinkered enough to think White won’t be replacing CBs who may be moving on from the Albion in the window

Must be a Leeds fan

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The main reason that the Premier League clubs try to get the season completed is because if not they would have to pay the TV companies £750 million back that was paid to them in February.
And if it is extended there will be no new Sky money until the next season eventually starts... but monthly wages will keep clocking up.

There will be some harsh financial choices if next season starts too much beyond September.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Our Financial position means a sale of 1 or more players this summer must be required unless current lot align with club.

Sky Sports
"Andy O’Brien, who is a Liverpool scout, has watched almost every game of Ben White. The big teams are interested."

Twitter
https://twitter.com/indykaila/status/1247275555650768904?s=20

Why would the Albion want to sell a bloke who could be worth twice as much after one season with us a PL level? Makes no sense. If he comes in and does well we would get north of £50m next summer. Far more likely to sell Duffy IMO

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why would the Albion want to sell a bloke who could be worth twice as much after one season with us a PL level? Makes no sense. If he comes in and does well we would get north of £50m next summer. Far more likely to sell Duffy IMO
Because Albion will need every penny they can get if this season is extended for too long with the relentless monthly payout of wages and no extra TV money to cover it.

If that then ends in relegation and no PL TV money to top up the coffers next season, then we could face wipeout and a big money player sale fee could save the club.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Because Albion will need every penny they can get if this season is extended for too long with the relentless monthly payout of wages and no extra TV money to cover it.

If that then ends in relegation and no PL TV money to top up the coffers next season, then we could face wipeout and a big money player sale fee could save the club.

But aren't all clubs in the same position? Where are they going to magic the money from to buy him?

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
People seem to forget that we have another youngster out on loan who’s been equally impressive who could easily slot in next season I wouldn’t be surprised if we sold white to Liverpool and kept the better option with us

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Even without all of this - we're on track to make even bigger losses than last season. Who could blame Tony Bloom if he couldn't keep subsidising £20M+ every year

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But aren't all clubs in the same position? Where are they going to magic the money from to buy him?
Liverpool, even though they are so poor they needed to furlough staff, are rich at the same time after making a healthy profit last year.

It is like the wave/particle theory of light, or schrodinger's football finances.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Liverpool, even though they are so poor they needed to furlough staff, are rich at the same time after making a healthy profit last year.

It is like the wave/particle theory of light, or schrodinger's football finances.

Are you saying Liverpool are in a Super-position?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Are you saying Liverpool are in a Super-position?
Yes, as it happens, but that was never my point.

If you go back to.my initial comment, you will see that I was saying that if the Albion end up paying out PL wages for extra months if the season is extended ( and there will be no extra TV income for this, by the way ) and then got relegated - meaning no PL income next season ( except flimsy parachutes which won't take this crisis into account ) - then the Albion will be in a deep financial mess. In this case big money player sale(s) would be needed.

Liverpool and others know they will not be relegated, so they know they can weather the storm and the above does not apply to them.

In summary, I fear for any PL club that is relegated this year if the season is extended as they will have bigger losses than normal if the season is extended, and small TV revenue next year ( even with pathetic, non adjusted for the crisis, parachutes ).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here