Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben Foster Predicts Brighton to be Relegated

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ask GB. This is what he said when I questioned Ben Fosters knowledge about how good Brighton are currently:

Well his prediction was for the whole season, not for one game. The transfer window isn't even closed yet.

And, yes, the guy is a pro footballer with a very successful YouTube channel. My 14 year old son and all his mates, including those quite a bit older all watch Foster and Spencer from Hashtag Utd when it comes to football, KSI when it comes to entertainment and Aarava for Formula One. They're not remotely interested in Match of the Day, Romesh Raganathan or Crofty. In fact the only time he watches "normal" television is when Brighton are on it. Of all those I've mentioned only Foster is a current professional sportsman.

Nice to see you've joined us reactionary old farts :thumbsup:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Long way to go, let's not get cocky... but I can't see us going down. There are at least 6-8 teams we are comfortably better than.

Last season our difficulties came in beating those sides who are in a relegation battle. Having beaten both Burnley & Watford already we may have cracked that issue which could enable us to have a significantly better season than previously. Norwich, Watford, Newcastle, Burnley, Wolves, Southampton & Palace all look like they could be in for long seasons. If we can finish ahead of all of these then we won't be too far away from a top 10 finish

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
My guess is that no team has ever been relegated from PL after winning first two games. In 2017/18 Huddersfield beat Palace 3-0 and Newcastle 1-0 in their opening matches; they ended with 37 points and 16th; 31 points would have seen them 20th.

It is simple maths: 9 wins is nearly always enough to stay up (as we know..) - a win ratio of 23.7%. Winning first two games means that a ratio of 19.4% (i.e. winning just 1 in 5 of the remaining games) is required from rest of season. It seems slightly crazy but a good start is a fantastic buffer.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
My guess is that no team has ever been relegated from PL after winning first two games. In 2017/18 Huddersfield beat Palace 3-0 and Newcastle 1-0 in their opening matches; they ended with 37 points and 16th; 31 points would have seen them 20th.

It is simple maths: 9 wins is nearly always enough to stay up (as we know..) - a win ratio of 23.7%. Winning first two games means that a ratio of 19.4% (i.e. winning just 1 in 5 of the remaining games) is required from rest of season. It seems slightly crazy but a good start is a fantastic buffer.

In 1974-75 Carlisle United won their first three games and were top of the league, but ultimately finished bottom and were relegated in their first and only season in the top flight.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
In 1974-75 Carlisle United won their first three games and were top of the league, but ultimately finished bottom and were relegated in their first and only season in the top flight.

I did say PL! 4 games more in 1975 old First Division when 2 points for win. Carlisle won as many games as Coventry who were 14th, but drew only 5. It was much more important in those days to avoid defeat; now it is all about wins.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes .... but ... IIRC they tonked Chelsea 3-0 in their first match (unlikely that a newby team would do that now!) and their best player was an England international player - at cricket.

Different times!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Can’t work out if that’s top stats or if you seriously need to get out more.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
18th for us due to a "very quiet transfer window"

Down with the barcodes and Norwich. Although he did pick Watford to finish 13th and reckons they see their early games as winnable.

His youtube channel is well worth watching though and would be great if he is allowed his gopro in goal if he starts.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

:lol:

West Bromwich Albion were relegated in 2017-18 after winning their first two matches.

:lol:

I kid you not:-

WBA.jpg

WBATable.jpg

After those opening two victories, they proceeded to not win any of their next 20 PL matches. They hosted us in their 23rd match of the season - and beat us 2-0 :facepalm:

The memory is etched into my brain. :nono:

(If we draw 1-1 with Everton on Saturday I'm going to start panicking.......).

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
:bounce:

Screenshot_20220103_000447_com.android.chrome_edit_63657948669453.jpg
Screenshot_20220103_000511.jpg

This is aging well. Bloke is a first class bellend.

:D

Sadly, I agree with him.

Unless we do some good transfer business in the next couple of weeks, I can't see us avoiding the drop for a 5th consecutive season. We certainly can't rely on 3 teams being far worse than us again, and with injuries mounting already, and unless Connolly has vastly improved over the summer - I'm not optimistic about our chances this time.

This aged well hahahahah

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I certainly didn't see the bottom of the division being historically bad.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Oh there's gonna be a lot of pearl clutching.

Guardian journo John Brewin also thinking after 4 seasons of perennial relegation fodder this will be our last.

The rest of the pundits on Football Weekly had us between 14th and 17th.

Hopefully, and for the right reason, his prediction will prove to be correct .:amex:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That'll learn him for making a prediction before the transfer window shut and our signing of Cucurella on the last day of the window.

Lol.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So you don't think the fact that our first home game is against WATFORD or that Foster is a far more successful blogger than either of us comes into it at all?

We all know who to BOOOOO now.

:wink:

Nevertheless, he is far more in a position to judge than even Lineker or Ian Wright who haven't seen anything other than the inside of a TV studio for years. It won't stop me posting predictions or making bets either but you can't dismiss his current knowledge.

Surprisingly the popularity of Ben Fosters blog has had little to no impact on the league table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here