Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Bellcheeses In The Supermarket (Coronavirus Edition)

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I went to Sainsbury’s and whilst the queue to get in was long, it moved ok. When I got in, I was horrified there were so many people inside. There is no way at all you could complete a shop and keep 2 meters from anyone. I felt very uncomfortable, even though both my wife and I wore masks and gloves and frankly couldn’t wait to get the hell out! We manage to buy enough that we don’t have to face that horrendous experience again for a number of weeks!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I went to Sainsbury’s and whilst the queue to get in was long, it moved ok. When I got in, I was horrified there were so many people inside. There is no way at all you could complete a shop and keep 2 meters from anyone. I felt very uncomfortable, even though both my wife and I wore masks and gloves and frankly couldn’t wait to get the hell out! We manage to buy enough that we don’t have to face that horrendous experience again for a number of weeks!

Exactly my experience in Tesco Worthing yesterday as I posted above somewhere. It was horrible and I left very unhappy at the whole stressful experience.

My previous visits there were around 9pm when it was deserted. They had fewer things on the shelves, but I’d take that over my experience of yesterday every time.

(Why did you both go though?)

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
My local shop is 2 customers at any one time now. Screens have been put up at the counter and the staff are taking it seriously now, as most of the customers do and I think the shop is booming as a result. Anyway, I went in earlier to get some bits I needed and an old guy I know walks out, deliberately turns left rather than walk directly straight out and walks right through the queue as a result. He does have poor eyesight, but he just being a thoughtless idiot, he just couldn't care less. Government advice to stay in, will make him roll up his sleeves and go out as much as possible, because it's not going to stop him. Shame that attitude is '**** the rest of you' though when he thinks he's doing the Blitz spirit because he knows best.

One of my neighbours is like that old guy and I know his wife is in poor health just to make things worse.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
A very poor trip to Tesco this morning. Nice orderly queue to get in, one way systems still clearly in place, lots of staff on hand with signage highlighting the distancing measures. However, far too many people in the store and still lots and lots of 50-60 year olds going wherever the fück they like, bringing past people, wrong ways down aisles, handling products before selecting right one. These particular age category are the absolute worst, they seemingly have zero idea of what is going on, or they simply don’t give a monkey’s.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Are the shops being bellcheeses by not opening on Sunday given the circumstances.

No - Sunday Trading Laws are the Bellcheese :

Under the Sunday Trading Act 1994 the limits on shop opening hours are:

Small shops (under 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft) - no restrictions on opening
Large shops (over 280 sq m/3,000 sq ft) - Monday to Saturday - no restrictions; Sunday - Opening for 6 continual hours only, between 10am and 6pm; Easter Sunday - closed
In addition to regulating opening by large shops on Sunday, the Sunday Trading Act 1994 prohibits large shops from opening on Easter Sunday.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Useless fact, whilst mentioning use by dates, did you know the use by date on a packet of crisps always falls on a Saturday ?

It's stuff like this that makes it worth getting up in the morning.

:thumbsup:

And surely an urban myth I thought. But, no - I've just checked the four totally different brands of crisps kicking around our place - all to be used by a Saturday!

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
A very poor trip to Tesco this morning. Nice orderly queue to get in, one way systems still clearly in place, lots of staff on hand with signage highlighting the distancing measures. However, far too many people in the store and still lots and lots of 50-60 year olds going wherever the fück they like, bringing past people, wrong ways down aisles, handling products before selecting right one. These particular age category are the absolute worst, they seemingly have zero idea of what is going on, or they simply don’t give a monkey’s.

I reckon I could make a sweeping generalisation about the ignorant behaviours of any age group - “ it won’t happen to me” , “ it doesn’t apply to me” - just about characterises every age group.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I reckon I could make a sweeping generalisation about the ignorant behaviours of any age group - “ it won’t happen to me” , “ it doesn’t apply to me” - just about characterises every age group.

Fair enough, but my comments aren’t sweeping generalisations as such, I’ve encountered exactly the same poor behaviour by the same age of customer in consecutive weeks, everyone else is playing along. Also, I haven’t suggested that this behaviour is exclusive to that generation in all avenues of their lives, but they’re very much not taking social distancing seriously.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Fair enough, but my comments aren’t sweeping generalisations as such, I’ve encountered exactly the same poor behaviour by the same age of customer in consecutive weeks, everyone else is playing along. Also, I haven’t suggested that this behaviour is exclusive to that generation in all avenues of their lives, but they’re very much not taking social distancing seriously.

Understand what you’re saying but disagree that everyone else is playing along. I know of ass holes in all age groups who simply don’t get it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

On my visit to Tesco Durrington yesterday (not sure if this is the same store you went to), my opinion is broadly aligned to your own: too many people in the store, too many people in a rush and not observing 2m and lots of people not able to follow the simple one-way system.

But I'd say that I didn't notice a particular trend in the ages of the worst cases - ****wittery seemed to be achievable by a wide range of ages.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Why did you go with your wife? Couldn't just one of you have gone?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
On my visit to Tesco Durrington yesterday (not sure if this is the same store you went to), my opinion is broadly aligned to your own: too many people in the store, too many people in a rush and not observing 2m and lots of people not able to follow the simple one-way system.

But I'd say that I didn't notice a particular trend in the ages of the worst cases - ****wittery seemed to be achievable by a wide range of ages.

Something else that I’d noticed on this visit was the amount of people shopping together. The previously mentioned older couples bumbling around and plenty of parents plus one child, but when I say child I mean late teens. Surely, for everyone’s benefit, only the adult needed to make the journey?

Tesco in Shoreham is the store I use.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Something else that I’d noticed on this visit was the amount of people shopping together. The previously mentioned older couples bumbling around and plenty of parents plus one child, but when I say child I mean late teens. Surely, for everyone’s benefit, only the adult needed to make the journey?

Tesco in Shoreham is the store I use.
You have no idea about these people's lives.
Some children, even the big galumphing ones, just can't be left at home, for all manner of reasons.

Perhaps they could have been left in the car, assuming they drove there, just so long as their owner was responsible and left a window open.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You have no idea about these people's lives.
Some children, even the big galumphing ones, just can't be left at home, for all manner of reasons.

Perhaps they could have been left in the car, assuming they drove there, just so long as their owner was responsible and left a window open.

But you know enough about them to leap to their defence, or is it that you just have to be a contrarian?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But you know enough about them to leap to their defence, or is it that you just have to be a contrarian?

I know enough about me and my family to know my great galumphing special needs children can't be left alone in the house together despite presenting as 'normal' teenagers.

So attacking those people you know nothing about is the same as attacking me, whom you also know nothing about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here