Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Bellcheeses In The Supermarket (Coronavirus Edition)

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What gets me is people picking things up to look at them on the off-chance they might fancy eating them, and then putting them back. for me, THIS represents the biggest risk of the entire process. I buy stuff for elderly / at risk people in my street often, and it's a massive concern.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
What gets me is people picking things up to look at them on the off-chance they might fancy eating them, and then putting them back. for me, THIS represents the biggest risk of the entire process. I buy stuff for elderly / at risk people in my street often, and it's a massive concern.

Totally agree, but ingrained habits aren’t going to be shifted overnight, and in the case of the thickos, possibly never. The majority of people seem to be transitioning to this new way of life relatively successfully where supermarkets are concerned in my experience.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

but they might be checking use by date or ingredients?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I don't see that as necessary at this time. People should turn up with a clear idea of what they need / want. There is no excuse for unnecessary touching of produce. My view is, if you pick it up, you buy it.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

Indeed, plus in the current climate I have an irrational fear of unlucky number 13, and when I picked up a pack of runner beans in Sainsbury’s last night with a 13 April sell by date I immediately dumped them back and found some with a 15 April sell by date. I also handled 3 red peppers before selecting one, but will go for the first next time. In my defence I was wearing fresh out of the wash gloves. Soz Papa L.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Indeed, plus in the current climate I have an irrational fear of unlucky number 13, and when I picked up a pack of runner beans in Sainsbury’s last night with a 13 April sell by date I immediately dumped them back and found some with a 15 April sell by date. I also handled 3 red peppers before selecting one, but will go for the first next time. In my defence I was wearing fresh out of the wash gloves. Soz Papa L.

Sounds like you've got a few issues.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Went to Lidl today for a top up important shop. While most were pretty good at distancing etc, this silly pair of old twats went to get garden furniture and plants. I was queuing in the car park so watched them unload into their car. Not a single bit of food. So a completely unnecessary visit plus they both came out so it was a real jolly. Boiled my piss as we are doing this in part for people of their age bracket.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't see that as necessary at this time. People should turn up with a clear idea of what they need / want. There is no excuse for unnecessary touching of produce. My view is, if you pick it up, you buy it.

This.

You touched it? You just bought it.

You've probably got five minutes of contemplation before you even get inside the shop these days. How the merry **** can you not know what you want?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Equally stupid are those that are wearing gloves, touching everything then touching phones with the gloves still on....

People who are wearing gloved seem to think they are immune from everything.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Equally stupid are those that are wearing gloves, touching everything then touching phones with the gloves still on....

People who are wearing gloved seem to think they are immune from everything.

I know, odd isn't it. You can't catch the virus through your hands, so unless you treat the gloves exactly as you would you skin, then your at risk. The only advantage of the gloves is you have to wash 1 less thing when you get home, your hands. You still need to dispose of the gloves before you do anything else.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Of our local supermarkets Tesco seem to be the best organised to minimise the risks with lots of "2m" markings and a sensible "one way" system. Gears were ground by the following:

1. Fat daft bat and equally fat daft bat adult daughter holding a conference about each item they were thinking of purchasing.
  2. People without shopping lists - they should be made to show the list when entering and if they have not done went sent to the back of the queue to write one (paper and pencils could be provided :) ).
  3. Those gazing in wonder at the goods for an unreasonable time - on more than one occasion I was tempted to ask "our you thinking of buying something or trying to memorise everything on the shelf".
  4. Man in mask looking at Crunchy Nut cornflakes and for some reason being unable to make up his mind to buy small or large box. Part of the entry test I am devising for shoppers in this crisis would be "are you aware that the price per kg is displayed on the shelf label so you can easily compare which size box is the better value"

Good that some stores are enforcing a "one person only" limit. I did have unkind thoughts re a mum and two young sons (admittedly both very well behaved) in Morrison a week or so back but then noticed she looked almost guilty to be shopping. I will in future take the view that any families I spot do not have access to someone to baby sit and that their partner is probably on their sixth consecutive twelve hour shift in a local hospital. Unless the kids are being little s**s.

Apart from that full sympathies to all supermarket staff (included oldest Potting offspring) in these challenging times.

You should offer your services to Mr Barber. Some of your ideas could well be adopted in carolling some of the idiots in the concourse queues at the Amex.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
New one for me today, people wearing stupid make shift face masks out of stupid items, ive seen flannels, zip lock bags and old towels used today.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
This.

You touched it? You just bought it.

You've probably got five minutes of contemplation before you even get inside the shop these days. How the merry **** can you not know what you want?
People are still drawn the "offers" just like normal

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Yep, getting the right shape and size red pepper is definitely the priority these days.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I too had noticed that. The streets of Worthing are totally uncluttered. Where have they all gone?

Mrs T tells me every council was ordered on March 22 to remove every homeless person from the streets and put them into hostels. A £3.2 million emergency government splurge. This was in the Grauniad, apparently.

If it was that simple one wonders why it has taken 40 years to do this.

I was listening to an old John Peel show from 1994 last week, including the news at 11.00. The headline was PM John Major accusing rough sleepers and beggars of being disgusting and an eyesore. The 90s. eh? Good Times :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Went to Lidl today for a top up important shop. While most were pretty good at distancing etc, this silly pair of old twats went to get garden furniture and plants. I was queuing in the car park so watched them unload into their car. Not a single bit of food. So a completely unnecessary visit plus they both came out so it was a real jolly. Boiled my piss as we are doing this in part for people of their age bracket.

Adult women and her mum shouting so loudly to each other and all and sundry in Sainsbury yesterday they were very certainly propelling their disgusting droplets all around the store. Clowns.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
People are still drawn the "offers" just like normal

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Which is mad because it's essentially just the stuff the supermarket over ordered and wants rid of out of the warehouse. Another issue with "just in time" distribution.

My Mrs falls for it every time. She'll come back with the shopping list and then some random shit like some cheddar cheese that bends rather than crumbles, six bottles of shower gel and three bottles of Sauvignon Blanc that should only exist to clean the toilet. When I ask why the actual **** we need any of that shit the answer is always "well, it was on offer". :wozza:

It's like she's pulled a fast one on Tesco by buying shit we don't need slightly cheaper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here