Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Bellcheeses In The Supermarket (Coronavirus Edition)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I spent nearly an hour on the phone earlier today ranting to a mate about how the English don't understand their own language. This trait used to drive a German I once knew mad. But this started me thinking. I have now formed the theory that we choose ambiguity deliberately, to confuse and annoy foreigners. Should of known. Anyway, the sooner Covid is decimated the better.

The English language is great. On this particular topic, I'm not sure we could say 'I'm off to Tesco', as Tesco is a corporate identity, and not a 'thing' in itself - so we can't actually go there. What we're doing is going 'to one of Tesco's shops'. So, maybe Tescos isn't adding on an S incorrectly, but actually abbreviating what we are saying. Any thoughts?

PS - I assume the 'of' was deliberate......?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Its up too you how you read his response, its you’re provocative innit

Indeed. And I'm not one to cow-tail to the lowest common dominator.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The English language is great. On this particular topic, I'm not sure we could say 'I'm off to Tesco', as Tesco is a corporate identity, and not a 'thing' in itself - so we can't actually go there. What we're doing is going 'to one of Tesco's shops'. So, maybe Tescos isn't adding on an S incorrectly, but actually abbreviating what we are saying. Any thoughts?

PS - I assume the 'of' was deliberate......?

First, of course the 'of' was deliberate. I am saddened and disappointed that one or two fought it was a genuine misteak.

I agree the English language is great but I still maintain we have acquired the habit of careless ambiguity largely to baffle outsiders. It used to drive my German ex-girlfriend mad. Or, to be more precise, I used to drive her mad with my 'English verdplay' :lolol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
First, of course the 'of' was deliberate. I am saddened and disappointed that one or two fought it was a genuine misteak.

I agree the English language is great but I still maintain we have acquired the habit of careless ambiguity largely to baffle outsiders. It used to drive my German ex-girlfriend mad. Or, to be more precise, I used to drive her mad with my 'English verdplay' :lolol:

Yes, I've been whooshed :dunce:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I guess those people should be going to local shops and not the supermarket as they will come into contact with far fewer people there, but quite how they are going to police this will be interesting, will people have to submit a list before being able to enter? plus some things, fresh meat etc.. I wouldn't be buying from my local shop.

Bit of a problem if one has run out of milk or bread. It would be annoying to have to buy 10 items but I suppose that is better than someone constantly picking up a couple of frivolous items.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They should not relax the rules on this. One of the main reasons shops now have stock back is because they have these rules in place.
I say they should keep them in place permanently, help stop the atrocious food waste we see every day.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Bit of a problem if one has run out of milk or bread. It would be annoying to have to buy 10 items but I suppose that is better than someone constantly picking up a couple of frivolous items.

I think this is the point though. We're being encouraged to only go shopping as infrequently as possible. So, we should either make sure we don't run out of these items in the timescale we have set ourselves between shops (such as a week, or ten days, or whatever), or, when we run out, we go without until our next allocated shopping trip. We've become used to the just in time way of shopping meaning we can always have just what we want, myself included. But when I lived in a more remote place, if I cocked up my week's shopping and ran out - then I just had to put up with black tea, or eggs for breakfast instead of cereals, etc. It's quite hard to get ourselves back into that way of thinking and acting though.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I guess those people should be going to local shops and not the supermarket as they will come into contact with far fewer people there, but quite how they are going to police this will be interesting, will people have to submit a list before being able to enter? plus some things, fresh meat etc.. I wouldn't be buying from my local shop.

No idea either, I expect it’s more to try and put people off from going every day (which is what we are seeing)

It’s pretty obvious who the ones that come in everyday are - so I guess you could just ban them.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Another 5 hour shift completed and again, no bellcheesery of note. Some people cannot fathom out the one way system as arrows are too difficult to follow apparently, others going over the top in the one way system and going round again when they have forgotten something on a shelf they have only just passed. Generally all rather civilised today.

Had yet another person this morning asking where the hot chicken counter has gone - it is only a year since it closed to I suppose they may not have noticed in that time. Someone else asked me if a sultana scone was a fruit scone :facepalm:. Oh, and anyone who goes around shopping whilst talking to someone on the phone with the volume turned up full blast so everyone can hear should be shot imo.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Another 5 hour shift completed and again, no bellcheesery of note. Some people cannot fathom out the one way system as arrows are too difficult to follow apparently, others going over the top in the one way system and going round again when they have forgotten something on a shelf they have only just passed. Generally all rather civilised today.

Had yet another person this morning asking where the hot chicken counter has gone - it is only a year since it closed to I suppose they may not have noticed in that time. Someone else asked me if a sultana scone was a fruit scone :facepalm:. Oh, and anyone who goes around shopping whilst talking to someone on the phone with the volume turned up full blast so everyone can hear should be shot imo.

So you do admit to some MILD form of bellcheesery going on round your way then?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
This was on our delivery truck this morning:

toilet rolls.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Today we had people kicking of they were not allowed in during the NHS hour

Police had to be called.

Classic

Wouldn't be that TESCO in Burgess Hill by any chance would it? Judging by the posts on here it appears to be the local epicentre for bellcheeses. Not to mention ****s.

Bellcheese Central innit :thumbsup:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think this is the point though. We're being encouraged to only go shopping as infrequently as possible. So, we should either make sure we don't run out of these items in the timescale we have set ourselves between shops (such as a week, or ten days, or whatever), or, when we run out, we go without until our next allocated shopping trip. We've become used to the just in time way of shopping meaning we can always have just what we want, myself included. But when I lived in a more remote place, if I cocked up my week's shopping and ran out - then I just had to put up with black tea, or eggs for breakfast instead of cereals, etc. It's quite hard to get ourselves back into that way of thinking and acting though.

I think this is a really interesting point.

How many of those standing queues actually need to do so? How much stuff have they got in the freezers at home they could use?
Do they really need more toilet roll? Are they buying because they want to or because they need to?

I’m lucky as I have a decent corner shop, a butchers and a fishmongers nearby. Haven’t been to a large supermarket since this all started and have worked on buying a few fresh things and emptying my freezer. I know not everyone can do this but how many actually could if they made an effort?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here