Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BDO Lakeside starts today.

A couple of absolute ripsnorters tonight...

'Yozza' Jamie Hughes v 'The Boss' Ross Mongomery
'The Prince of Wales' Martin Phillips v 'The Count' Ted Hankey.

Also looking forward to seeing the Assassin Martin Atkins and John Boy Walton start their campaigns this afternoon.

Ripsnorters is a vastly underused word.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
The PDC is obviously a higher standard when you look at top end of the game, but I think it’s unfair to write off the whole BDO as being rubbish.

Yes the top PDC players are exceptional, but outside the top 25 the standard isn’t that much different. There are currently players in the BDO who could make the top 25 in the PDC and given a year or two possibly the top 10.

I’ve heard people say that anyone of the top 25 PDC players would win the BDO world championship, and no one in the BDO could win the PDC. I think top 15 PDC would be dead certs if they moved across, 16 to 25 in the PDC would have a very good chance but not guaranteed. I wouldn’t disagree that anyone moving over to the PDC would find it hard to win, simply because the PDC WC is a very hard tournament to win.

BUT outside the top PDC 15 I don’t think there is anyone who would automatically get to the final of the BDO WC let alone guaranteed to win it.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
A fine display from Ted Hankey :tosser: Time to call it a day.

Never nice to see a great on the way down. I remember in his heyday him saying he could mix it with the likes of Taylor and the rest of the PDC, didn't happen when he got the chance.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The problem with the BDO is that when the "old guard" of O'Shea, Adams, Fitton, Hankey and Ross the Boss DO get knocked out they're beaten by the likes of fresh-faced Dennis Harbour and Martin Phillips (a combined 109 years from that pair).

It's less the Championship division of Darts and more the Seniors Division. There's one or two good players but the rest are either mates of Leighton Rees, mechanics from Leeds or chancers from Holland. Phil Taylor should go back to the BDO - he'd win another 5 World Titles.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
The problem with the BDO is that when the "old guard" of O'Shea, Adams, Fitton, Hankey and Ross the Boss DO get knocked out they're beaten by the likes of fresh-faced Dennis Harbour and Martin Phillips (a combined 109 years from that pair).

It's less the Championship division of Darts and more the Seniors Division. There's one or two good players but the rest are either mates of Leighton Rees, mechanics from Leeds or chancers from Holland. Phil Taylor should go back to the BDO - he'd win another 5 World Titles.

I still have a feeling Taylor will win another PDC world championship.

Durlston

NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
I still have a feeling Taylor will win another PDC world championship.

I don't. It's sad to see such a legend struggling now but there's a good chance of making some money every Thursday night in the spring - oppose Phil Taylor in the Premier League. The bookies still price him up from five years ago.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I don't get why people complain about the standard of bdo. Most of these guys are amateurs while the PDC is pro and loads more money. It is obviously a higher standard. That said would the PDC be anything without young players going up through BDO tournaments?

It is almost like watching the walker cup and saying "these guys are crap compared to those you see in the Ryder cup"

Agree with that but its fashionable now to knock the BDO, an organisation that elevated darts from a pub game to a tv spectacle. The NOTW was the main competition that everyone entered from local level up to the finals at a big venue in front of 15,000 but it was the BDO WC that gave us Rees, Evans, Lowe, Lazarenko, Wilson, Bristow, Deller, Gregory, Whitcombe, Taylor, Priestley, Part, RVB, Anderson, King, Bunting etc.
Just as the PL was borne out of elitism so was the PDC and now it dominates the sport, awash with money and most of the talent. The public lap it up and those of a younger generation sneer at the BDO, from the comfort of their armchairs. But just like football needs its pyramid, its support structure, its lower leagues, so does darts. It needs the BDO. Its there to provide the framework for the game at all levels, including ladies darts.
As others have posted, don't come on here boring us with comments like...." its so poor "....." I could do better "...." its just all 26's and 7's ".....Yes, we know its not as good. We have eyes in our heads. You don't go and watch Whitehawk play and then come away saying..." its not as good as the Albion "
If you don't want to watch it...don't. Its your choice. Keep pouring money into Sky and stay watching the PDC.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Agree with that but its fashionable now to knock the BDO, an organisation that elevated darts from a pub game to a tv spectacle. The NOTW was the main competition that everyone entered from local level up to the finals at a big venue in front of 15,000 but it was the BDO WC that gave us Rees, Evans, Lowe, Lazarenko, Wilson, Bristow, Deller, Gregory, Whitcombe, Taylor, Priestley, Part, RVB, Anderson, King, Bunting etc.
Just as the PL was borne out of elitism so was the PDC and now it dominates the sport, awash with money and most of the talent. The public lap it up and those of a younger generation sneer at the BDO, from the comfort of their armchairs. But just like football needs its pyramid, its support structure, its lower leagues, so does darts. It needs the BDO. Its there to provide the framework for the game at all levels, including ladies darts.
As others have posted, don't come on here boring us with comments like...." its so poor "....." I could do better "...." its just all 26's and 7's ".....Yes, we know its not as good. We have eyes in our heads. You don't go and watch Whitehawk play and then come away saying..." its not as good as the Albion "
If you don't want to watch it...don't. Its your choice. Keep pouring money into Sky and stay watching the PDC.

True to a point but the BDO is not really a "world" championship is it? It all comes across as bit silly to say so when there are a bunch of much better players taking part in a tournament of a much higher standard.

If the BDO stopped pretending it was I think it would make life easier for the sport

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
I don't. It's sad to see such a legend struggling now but there's a good chance of making some money every Thursday night in the spring - oppose Phil Taylor in the Premier League. The bookies still price him up from five years ago.

There are two things about Taylor at the moment.
One people say he’s struggling, but in the world champs he averaged 98.39, 92.91 and 100.03. That’s not rubbish, it’s a little off the pace if you want to win it, but it’s a million miles away and it’s certainly not struggling.
Two, the fact he’s going through a divorce and has a lot going on privately means he might have taken his eye off the ball a little bit. But in time it might motivate him to have one last go at it. He’s going to lose half his money, and I bet he’ll want to earn some of that back before he does retire. If he gets things settled down later in the year or possibly next year, I think he could easily get that focus back to push his averages back up that little bit to where they need to be. I reckon we’ll have a resurgence in the next couple of years, one last throw of the dice.

Alternatively I could just be being sentimental about Taylor.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
True to a point but the BDO is not really a "world" championship is it? It all comes across as bit silly to say so when there are a bunch of much better players taking part in a tournament of a much higher standard.

If the BDO stopped pretending it was I think it would make life easier for the sport

But is it not the only competition open to every dart player in the world? (obviously other than all the PDC tour card holders)

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I find the crowd at Lakeside to be far less "lad bants" and nobby than the gurning chimps up at "Ally Pally". And I like the fact that with the BDO it's not as slick as the PDC, it has more of a cheesy pub darts competition feel to it. Also love watching the absolute munters in the female tournament- all of them look like they'd mess you up if you touched their pints and snouts

Durlston

NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
What an amazing match just played on BBC2.

Defending champion Scotty 'dog' Mitchell won a sudden-death leg to win an absolute classic. For people that knock the BDO, just watch this entire match. The standard and tension was fantastic. McGeeney missed eight darts for the match! Just pressure he couldn't handle at the end.

Well done, Jan Molby. :clap2:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There are two things about Taylor at the moment.
One people say he’s struggling, but in the world champs he averaged 98.39, 92.91 and 100.03. That’s not rubbish, it’s a little off the pace if you want to win it, but it’s a million miles away and it’s certainly not struggling.
Two, the fact he’s going through a divorce and has a lot going on privately means he might have taken his eye off the ball a little bit. But in time it might motivate him to have one last go at it. He’s going to lose half his money, and I bet he’ll want to earn some of that back before he does retire. If he gets things settled down later in the year or possibly next year, I think he could easily get that focus back to push his averages back up that little bit to where they need to be. I reckon we’ll have a resurgence in the next couple of years, one last throw of the dice.

Alternatively I could just be being sentimental about Taylor.

I'm a big Taylor fan but I honestly believe Father Time has caught up with him. His scoring on the 20s and 19s is fine - it's basically muscle memory to him - but when he has to go around the board he's been found wanting. He's been missing too many darts at double and I'm not sure he has the ability to dig deep when he needs to.

I watched the Grand Slam of Darts Final last night - he was 7-3 up against MVG, then lost 6 in a row and never recovered. He had the odd chance to level up the match but missed out. I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing in glasses soon.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I'm a big Taylor fan but I honestly believe Father Time has caught up with him. His scoring on the 20s and 19s is fine - it's basically muscle memory to him - but when he has to go around the board he's been found wanting. He's been missing too many darts at double and I'm not sure he has the ability to dig deep when he needs to.

I watched the Grand Slam of Darts Final last night - he was 7-3 up against MVG, then lost 6 in a row and never recovered. He had the odd chance to level up the match but missed out. I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing in glasses soon.
He tried playing in Glasses a few years back and didn't get on with them.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not every player in the PDC is a professional - doesn't pay THAT well for all! Much depends on sponsors...

Well done to Sotty Dog & good to see Pipey in the crowd :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here