Game 2

Blue Jays 5
Rangers 3

Red Sox 0
Indians 6

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Cubs win with a solo Home run in the 8th.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Just watched game 2 at Loose Moose on Front St. Very cool atmosphere and result, especially as the city is quieter than normal due to your Thanksgiving on Monday.
Came here from So. Cal. for the weekend, and to treat the lady wife to a kid free time with a surprise trip to the Air Canada Centre tonight to watch Adele.

I have to say Toronto is a very, very cool city. Some of the places we have eaten are exceptional (Gusto's & Chase so far), it helps that the weather is also clear blue sky and sunny. Go Blue Jays.

The Loose Moose is a good choice for somewhere to watch a Jays game. Decent beer and the food is good too. :thumbsup:

You've picked a great weekend to visit. As you say, it's a bit quieter than usual, and the weather is great. I'd recommend heading to King Street West (west of University Ave), there's plenty of decent bars and restaurants. Also, if you're looking to explore, Leslieville is cool, Woodbine Beach area, around Trinity Bellwoods Park, High Park, and a trip to the Islands is always worthwhile.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The Loose Moose is a good choice for somewhere to watch a Jays game. Decent beer and the food is good too. :thumbsup:

You've picked a great weekend to visit. As you say, it's a bit quieter than usual, and the weather is great. I'd recommend heading to King Street West (west of University Ave), there's plenty of decent bars and restaurants. Also, if you're looking to explore, Leslieville is cool, Woodbine Beach area, around Trinity Bellwoods Park, High Park, and a trip to the Islands is always worthwhile.

Yes - Toronto is an interesting place. I was there a few months ago visiting friends at Etobicoke. Flew up on Porter - good airline and straight into the center of town, also a complimentary Steamwhistle beer on flight. Spent Saturday at Woodbine race course, then a laidback Sunday afternoon watching Jazz at Rex Hotel and then walked down Queen Street with the occasional whiff of weed now they've legalised it. Cool town with a good vibe

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm a real layman here but can anyone please explain how the post season works using the Bluejays as an analogy? Thanks.

There's the American League and the National League, each split into 3 divisions East, West, Central (Jays play in AL East). These leagues remain completely separate until the final (World Series).

So, using American League example:

The winner of the AL East, AL West, AL Central get a play-off spot.
The last play-off spot is decided in a one-off "Wildcard" game between the two teams who have the next best records. This year it was Blue Jays vs Orioles who happened to be in the same division and had the same record (home advantage was because Jays had a better record against Orioles)

With 4 teams, who plays who is much the same as our play-offs: 1st best record plays 4th best record, 2nd v 3rd.

ALDS1: Rangers (1st) vs Jays (4th)
ALDS2: Red Sox (2nd) vs Indians (3rd)

Both best of 5 games series.

Then:

ALDS1 Winner vs ALDS2 Winner (Best of 7 games)

Exactly the same thing happens with the National League and the winners play in the 7 game World Series.

Simple really, it's just s straight knockout, the only complication is the Wildcard game which is quite a recent addition.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Ok I think i've got it.

If the Bluejays beat the Rangers tomorrow night then they win the AL Division series and would then face winners of the Indians/Red Sox series with the winners of that series going on to represent the AL in the World Series?!

daves143

Soton Seagull
Apr 18, 2009
Southampton
Ok I think i've got it.

If the Bluejays beat the Rangers tomorrow night then they win the AL Division series and would then face winners of the Indians/Red Sox series with the winners of that series going on to represent the AL in the World Series?!

You'v got it! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
There's the American League and the National League, each split into 3 divisions East, West, Central (Jays play in AL East). These leagues remain completely separate until the final (World Series).

So, using American League example:

The winner of the AL East, AL West, AL Central get a play-off spot.
The last play-off spot is decided in a one-off "Wildcard" game between the two teams who have the next best records. This year it was Blue Jays vs Orioles who happened to be in the same division and had the same record (home advantage was because Jays had a better record against Orioles)

With 4 teams, who plays who is much the same as our play-offs: 1st best record plays 4th best record, 2nd v 3rd.

ALDS1: Rangers (1st) vs Jays (4th)
ALDS2: Red Sox (2nd) vs Indians (3rd)

Both best of 5 games series.

Then:

ALDS1 Winner vs ALDS2 Winner (Best of 7 games)

Exactly the same thing happens with the National League and the winners play in the 7 game World Series.

Simple really, it's just s straight knockout, the only complication is the Wildcard game which is quite a recent addition.

Thanks! No idea why I find it so complex but I guess in the main because they play so many matches that a match up between two teams both of whom have won over 60% of their regular season games doesn't seem like there is much point in ranking them especially as home field advantage doesn't seem to count for as much.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just watched game 2 at Loose Moose on Front St. Very cool atmosphere and result, especially as the city is quieter than normal due to your Thanksgiving on Monday.
Came here from So. Cal. for the weekend, and to treat the lady wife to a kid free time with a surprise trip to the Air Canada Centre tonight to watch Adele.

I have to say Toronto is a very, very cool city. Some of the places we have eaten are exceptional (Gusto's & Chase so far), it helps that the weather is also clear blue sky and sunny. Go Blue Jays.
Even Adele has good taste in ball clubs. As you know, she chose to dress in a Blue Jays shirt at her gig. Good girl. [emoji106]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its such a wonderful sport. I'm a recent-ish convert, last 3-4 years or so. And now, having made my pilgrimage to see the Twins play at Citifield NY, and then Target Field MN, it is firmly embedded in my heart. One of the greatest live sporting spectacles you could ever wish to see.

My missus has NO interest in sport whatsoever, but she was completely swept up with the baseball, and ended up going to 3 games with me when I was pretty convinced she would be bored and fed up half way through the first. I'm just gutted it'll probably be a couple of years at least before I get to go to another game.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.

Thanks for the tips, we did the Islands today which was super quiet and kind of shut down for the season, but some amazing views back to the city skyline, we are off to Leslieville tonight for dinner, then an early flight back to Orange County early tomorrow as our eldest has a baseball tournament up in LA. For this playoff season I shall be a newbie Blue Jays fan just because of this trip. Enjoy your city, great place and one of the most easiest cities I have experienced, everything is so close, accessible and friendly. Good times.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Even Adele has good taste in ball clubs. As you know, she chose to dress in a Blue Jays shirt at her gig. Good girl. [emoji106]

Indeed she did on Thursday night, last night was regular dressing. Quality performance, funny, sounds like she does on all recordings, very respectful of her host city, all around nice person, plus the hotness level of the majority Canadian ladies in the crowd was well worth the flight/hotel/ticket fee.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Game 2

Giants 2
Cubs 5

Dodgers / Nationals postponed

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I had no idea that baseball fans sing at baseball matches.

Cubs fans sing this song after every win. The whole crowd sings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9XtDyDUjIU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHM4myMjVu0

Also they fly those "W" flags from flag poles and houses all over the city. All the statues at Wrigley Field were dressed with Cub uniforms. It was very exciting to see the home team win their second game against the Giants. The final score Saturday night was 5-2.

I now feel that I am one small part of the Cubs resurgence to a possible World Series victory.

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I had no idea that baseball fans sing at baseball matches.

Cubs fans sing this song after every win. The whole crowd sings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9XtDyDUjIU

Also they fly those "W" flags from flag poles and houses all over the city. All the statues at Wrigley Field were dressed with Cub uniforms. It was very exciting to see the home team win their second game against the Giants. The final score Saturday night was 5-2.

Cubs have got a good chance

daves143

Soton Seagull
Apr 18, 2009
Southampton
Damn am so jealous of all of you been over there able to see it all live and experience the atmospheres by being there! I managed to avoid the Cubs result and watch it this morn, cubbies are really on a role I don't anyone on the national side beating them! Indians and jays can both progress tonight. Rodgers centre will literally be rocking tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Its such a wonderful sport. I'm a recent-ish convert, last 3-4 years or so. And now, having made my pilgrimage to see the Twins play at Citifield NY, and then Target Field MN, it is firmly embedded in my heart. One of the greatest live sporting spectacles you could ever wish to see.

My missus has NO interest in sport whatsoever, but she was completely swept up with the baseball, and ended up going to 3 games with me when I was pretty convinced she would be bored and fed up half way through the first. I'm just gutted it'll probably be a couple of years at least before I get to go to another game.

Have you seen the tentative plans to bring a regular season match up to the Olympic Stadium? Maybe as soon as next season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here