Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barnes

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
How many minutes has he played, If he plays from the start he will start scoring, 5-mins at the end of a game would see most top strikers also failing to score ... but we have that 3rd div replacement so your obviously very happy with him

Not that at all. Oscar plays one up front, so Barnes would either play on the wing and not score many goals, or be used as back up. I'd take three quarters of a million for a back up player every day of the week.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not that at all. Oscar plays one up front, so Barnes would either play on the wing and not score many goals, or be used as back up. I'd take three quarters of a million for a back up player every day of the week.

Yes but we needed to replace him like for like and not bank the cash

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Yes but we needed to replace him like for like and not bank the cash

I reckon we probably will do, but at the end of the season now. We tried to sign Grabban don't forget. No point in rushing into purchasing someone who is useless, thank god Obika isn't permanent.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I reckon we probably will do, but at the end of the season now. We tried to sign Grabban don't forget. No point in rushing into purchasing someone who is useless, thank god Obika isn't permanent.
Most would have said the same about Vokes but I think the club are pinning their hopes on CMS and possibly Hoskins.coming back to solve the problem.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I thought it was more about his salary rather than his talent.

And what were his 30+ goals worth to palace?? Which everway you look at it letting Murray go and buying cms for 2.5 million plus add ons was a total cock up by the club. Hind sight is a wonderful thing! We would be in the premier league with Murray's scoring. We have had goal scoring issues since the move to the Amex Saturday against Wigan demonstrated the 3 year issue in a nut shell. What did we have 20 attempts on goal.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
And what were his 30+ goals worth to palace?? Which everway you look at it letting Murray go and buying cms for 2.5 million plus add ons was a total cock up by the club. Hind sight is a wonderful thing! We would be in the premier league with Murray's scoring. We have had goal scoring issues since the move to the Amex Saturday against Wigan demonstrated the 3 year issue in a nut shell. What did we have 20 attempts on goal.

No disputing it was a mistake. But people need to make their minds up about who made that mistake. Apparently every good signing was somehow instigated by Gus Poyet and signed off by the club who should take no credit at all. And every less successful signing was made solely by the club with zero input from the manager. That seems a very strange two tier way of working.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was everything about Gus not liking Murray rather than a 'talent' issue.
Gus can't have disliked him that much, we did offer him a new contract.

And what were his 30+ goals worth to palace?? Which everway you look at it letting Murray go and buying cms for 2.5 million plus add ons was a total cock up by the club. Hind sight is a wonderful thing! We would be in the premier league with Murray's scoring.
We don't even know that. Palace were all out attack at the start of the season, playing to Murray's strengths, and both scoring and letting in plenty. They also had more than their fair share of penalties. And yet despite it all, we finished above them. They went up instead of us/Watford thanks to a couple of playoff games that Murray didn't even play in.

I'm sick to death of this Murray ****ing bullshit. NSC seems to be blessed with so many wise oracles, all saying how stupid it was to let Murray go, yet none (or very close to none) of them said they'd rather have Murray than CMS at the time.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Pointless thread this because he wanted out to get a better financial deal. The question one should ask was why knowing that he was refusing to re-sign a contract since Burnleys summer approach and having CMS and Hoskins out long term where we not at least half ready to replace him.
Spanish Rodney ? Obika ? I might be wrong but both seemed panic buys or deals to me.
I think the club were banking on CMS and Hoskins to be fit by January so could let him go if need be

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
No disputing it was a mistake. But people need to make their minds up about who made that mistake. Apparently every good signing was somehow instigated by Gus Poyet and signed off by the club who should take no credit at all. And every less successful signing was made solely by the club with zero input from the manager. That seems a very strange two tier way of working.

That's why I said the club as I have no idea how it was handled!

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Gus can't have disliked him that much, we did offer him a new contract.

We don't even know that. Palace were all out attack at the start of the season, playing to Murray's strengths, and both scoring and letting in plenty. They also had more than their fair share of penalties. And yet despite it all, we finished above them. They went up instead of us/Watford thanks to a couple of playoff games that Murray didn't even play in.

I'm sick to death of this Murray ****ing bullshit. NSC seems to be blessed with so many wise oracles, all saying how stupid it was to let Murray go, yet none (or very close to none) of them said they'd rather have Murray than CMS at the time.

I was like most very happy with the signing of cms and I have never wanted a Brighton player to succeed as much as him his effort is unquestionable. I was equally disappointed that Murray left for whatever reasons. My point being that if we had had 30 plus goal scorer last season we wouldn't have been in the play offs we would have won the league! We create loads of chances but are just too profligate. I know it's in the past and can't be changed but it still erks as does that dark night in May.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here