Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barnes

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Barnes didnt sign a new contract because he was offered less than he was on previously... should have kept hold of him, he would have relished today's game and offered more than rodney.
An experienced championship player against a player who hasn't played in uk at all. I know who I'd prefer

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm not saying that at all - I'm discussing your post saying that Barnes has more chance of scoring for us than Obika is, when Obika has already scored a competitive goal for us. Also, a competitive goal will always be more important than a Friendly, because there is more riding on it (regardless of the score at the time).

I agree with you that Barnes is possibly a better player than Obika, but that's not the point i was raising.

I believe Barnes scored in the FA Cup against Arsenal, if that makes you happier and I will do my best to cite a more relevant example next time. The point is relevance to week in week out performance.

But IMO cup games do not matter as much as league, hence the original statement........:smile:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Barnes didnt sign a new contract because he was offered less than he was on previously... should have kept hold of him, he would have relished today's game and offered more than rodney.
An experienced championship player against a player who hasn't played in uk at all. I know who I'd prefer

said who

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Conjecture means there is incomplete information. There is no incomplete information. We had two fit forwards, we let one go, we brought in Obika, now we have one goalscorer when we had two.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
We miss him - as a lot of people thought we would. But that's life. We still had more than enough chances to win the match and enough talent on the pitch to do it.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Conjecture means there is incomplete information. There is no incomplete information. We had two fit forwards, we let one go, we brought in Obika, now we have one goalscorer when we had two.

There is incomplete information. You claimed we should have given him a better contract. Based on what facts? Until those facts are backed up, it is incomplete. Therefore using your definition; conjecture.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Is this thread for real? He still hasn't scored for Burnley off the bench, we got a decent amount of money for him. How would Barnes have had any more impact off the bench here than he has had a Burnley i.e none and should we really turn down three quarters of a million pounds for a player like that? Some people have very short memories...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I may have used the incorrect word (which i don't think i did as we don't have all the info) but if Barnes had been offered a better contract there was no guarantee he would have stayed...and how Much should it have been increased by?..up and up so he was the best paid? etc

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
The fact remains that Barnes is a much better footballer than Obika.

Thats not hard , I'M a much better footballer than Obika.............and so is my wife...........and her 92 year old Grandma !

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you want to keep a player you offer him a decent contract. We can outbid Burnley if we so choose. He is now understudy to ings and Vokes and getting very little football. We are falling out of contention because we are not putting away chances. Barnes has been our highest scorer in the Championship since Falmer. This is a ****- up by the club. I know he's gone but Lita and now Obika is a dog's dinner, and I fear Rodriguez may be soon added to that list.

geodavies

Jan 8, 2012
Saltdean
maybe you're right.

But are you saying by scoring in the fa cup obika is good enough for the championship, because it's about as relevant as the friendly.

My point is at this level barnes was and is a much better proposition than obika.

conjecture means there is incomplete information. There is no incomplete information. We had two fit forwards, we let one go, we brought in obika, now we have one goalscorer when we had two.

exactly. ....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That would be the same Burnley that are still receiving parachute payments ?

Yeah, that finanicial giant that lost £7.6 million last season WITH a parachute payment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here