Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes wants to stay long-term

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Or, if you want to be cynical, he saying he only wants to stay here and making comments about being willing to wait until the end of the season to sort out his contract could be seen as an attempt to put himself in a great bargaining position at the end of the season. By saying he wants to stay long term, the club feel no urgency to sign him up and tie him to a contract, but neither do the feel like they need to sell him in January. If he wants to stay they won't lose out on him. Then come July he is free to negotiate and use other club offers against each other to get himself the best deal. Talk of feeling pushed out also works to lay ground works to explain him going.

Or, as I said in my last post, maybe he just wants a longer deal with us.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Ok, he can be petulant and a bit sulky, but he's still youngish and is roughly a one in three striker. I vote he's been good for us, he's prepared to cover all the pitch and doesn't shirk on defensive duties. Now we have an international break, the whiny whinge bags on here will have to find something else to bleat about

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Not a hatred of Barnes - just reality. Kev is spot on - a decent Lg1 player but not Champ, may be worth renewing his contract as long as he's happy on the bench

Thats the sort of thing that was leveled towards some of the other, younger strikers we have had in recent years and they have developed into good championship players and i think Barnes can too. Think Chris Wood, Sam Vokes.......

Some people are just far too quick to right off a young player still learning his trade and carry what seems like a vendetta against them and feel that they have to force that player out of the club rather than let them improve and benefit us rather than another championship team..

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
I wouldn't blame him if he did want to leave. He might be more appreciated elsewhere

I doubt it. I think he's just one of those people who will always divide opinion (and I said people instead of players because I think a lot of it is down to his personality and the way he reacts to things). My mum doesn't like him and she likes most people, especially Brighton players.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Negotiation tactics 101, after a good display go the papers and make out that you've always wanted to stay but the nasty suits arnt offering you a contract when in reality, you just want me money on top of what they've already offered you.

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
Blimey that's a big ask.

You are preparing to take a penalty.
ALL of the 900 people, nearest to you are booing.
But you can still hear the half a dozen people booing elsewhere in a crowd of 27,912.

no, it's just being able to tell the difference between sounds coming from different direction. i.e. boos coming from between people between 10 and 12 o clock (the away fans), and boos coming from any other direction (quite a few more than half a dozen!).

If you're saying Barnes doesn't even have the ability to do that...!!!

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
There's no reason to not offer him a deal! Even if we go up it's better he has a contract, because he becomes more valuable. We don't want another Murray situation.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
The man behind me shouts at Barnes for absolutely everything. If CMS misses no one cares, but Barnes, who cost a fraction of the price, is ridiculed. Is it fair? I wouldn't say so.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The man behind me shouts at Barnes for absolutely everything. If CMS misses no one cares, but Barnes, who cost a fraction of the price, is ridiculed. Is it fair? I wouldn't say so.

There's a man who sits in front of me who would care, eh Buzzer?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You've got a short memory.
We get exactly the same nonsense when CMS plays.

It'll be amusing when the Pro Barnes Lobby attack Team CMS, because 'he's not playing well as a loan striker' :lol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

For his first season with us, CMS got a lot more leeway than Barnes for the most part. CMS needed to go 6 or seven games without a goal before people got on his case. During his second season, people were quicker to turn on him. At least on here. I didn't hear as much criticism of CMS at the amex, but definitely on here he got plenty of abuse for his misses last season.

You've got a short memory.
We get exactly the same nonsense when CMS plays.

It'll be amusing when the Pro Barnes Lobby attack Team CMS, because 'he's not playing well as a loan striker' :lol:

It will be, because the grammar police will be out in force on that one.

Also, it isn't so neat as pro barnes = anti cms. It's just that as a fellow striker comparisons are drawn and double standards exposed when you highlight how similar their end products and what their strengths and weaknesses are.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
He scores a goal every 3.2 games, that's pretty good considering the position he often played under Poyet. And he has never been our first choice hit man, unless injuries force the issue. He usually plays second fiddle to the likes of Wood, Murray, CMS and Ulloa. 50 goals have mostly been in the Championship too :D

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
What is his goals to games ratio in the Championship?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here