Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes wants to stay long-term

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Where would we be without him?
Technically exactly where we are now, but with a goal difference 2 less.

But that's doing a disservice to Barnes defensive abilities on corners and free kicks.
For which he was excellent on Saturday.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Barnes: "I felt like I was getting pushed out of the club..."

When was that then?!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
How about some positives about him as well?
- He's worked his backside off for us all season, in a lone-striker position that doesn't suit him, with our best midfielders missing.
- He's strong defensively (6 clean sheets all featuring him in the side)
- He's got guts (playing on with a dead leg against Blackburn a good example)
- He links well with midfield, keeps possession, and is happy to do a stint anywhere on the park when needed
- He's still young and gets better every season
- He's committed to us and wants to stay with the Albion

Yes, he's not an out and out goal scorer - but who ever said he was supposed to be? For what it's worth, I think Barnes and Lita could be quite a combination once Lita gets fully fit.

I say get off his back.

This

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Barnes: "I felt like I was getting pushed out of the club..."

When was that then?!
When we kept signing better players than him.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
The way Barnes has been treated by some people on here, he might have been better off joining Burnley. No doubt this thought has occurred to him as well.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
If I was him I'd move to be honest. I rekon he'd get loads of goals at this level with the right partner up front.

With us he invariably does a thankless task for the team, still chips in with a few goals and in return he gets abuse from all the idiots like kev who don't understand football.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
When we kept signing better players than him.

Which we should be doing. If our ambitions were solely to sign players for £60k from clubs of the status of Plymouth reserves, then that would show a total lack of desire to improve.

However in a FFP environment, giving Barnes a contract and having him fight for his place (he's a squad player rather than first choice IMO, but has delivered in that role reasonably well) is a sensible financial decision. The team we played on Saturday paid £11 million for Rhodes and Best, lost £36.5 million last year.........and our team, with CMS. Leo, Bridders, Orlandi, Hoskins, Andrews, Buckley and KLL all missing, gave them a bit of a spanking.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The way Barnes has been treated by some people on here, he might have been better off joining Burnley. No doubt this thought has occurred to him as well.

If I was him and I'd heard the audible GROAN around the stadium as I stood up to take a penalty (when I had a very good penalty recrod) ....then I would also think about it.

I genuinely CRINGED as I heard it. Imagine how it sounded down on the pitch.

I think he did quite well to hold back on the celebrations. I'd have gone MENTALSHITCRAZY....or stood in the Cantona pose and just looked around. Not quite decided yet.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Which we should be doing. If our ambitions were solely to sign players for £60k from clubs of the status of Plymouth reserves, then that would show a total lack of desire to improve.

However in a FFP environment, giving Barnes a contract and having him fight for his place (he's a squad player rather than first choice IMO, but has delivered in that role reasonably well) is a sensible financial decision. The team we played on Saturday paid £11 million for Rhodes and Best, lost £36.5 million last year.........and our team, with CMS. Leo, Bridders, Orlandi, Hoskins, Andrews, Buckley and KLL all missing, gave them a bit of a spanking.

I still can't quite believe that Blackburn paid £8M for Rhodes. What a waste of money. No wonder their losses are so high.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If I was him I'd move to be honest. I rekon he'd get loads of goals at this level with the right partner up front.

With us he invariably does a thankless task for the team, still chips in with a few goals and in return he gets abuse from all the idiots like kev who don't understand football.

Indeed. NSC has also written off such talents as Chris Wood and Sam Vokes and Glen Murray in recent years.

We are WELL CLEVER.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I still can't quite believe that Blackburn paid £8M for Rhodes. What a waste of money. .

It's a waste of money in terms of the rest of their squad needing major work but as an individual player Rhodes is worth it (in my opinion)

He's scored 10 in 15 this year, and 26 last season and 36 the year before.

He's a brilliant player. When he moves to a proper team he will score for fun.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I was him and I'd heard the audible GROAN around the stadium as I stood up to take a penalty (when I had a very good penalty recrod) ....then I would also think about it.

I genuinely CRINGED as I heard it. Imagine how it sounded down on the pitch.

I think he did quite well to hold back on the celebrations. I'd have gone MENTALSHITCRAZY....or stood in the Cantona pose and just looked around. Not quite decided yet.
Ear cupage to the away fans.

If I accidentally turned full circle before bringing my hand down, then so be it.

Although I'm still struggling to believe he was aware of an Albion negative response, when the nearest fans to him were the B/burn ones.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
It's a waste of money in terms of the rest of their squad needing major work but as an individual player Rhodes is worth it (in my opinion)

He's scored 10 in 15 this year, and 26 last season and 36 the year before.

He's a brilliant player. When he moves to a proper team he will score for fun.

Maybe, but £8M is a hell of a lot of money for a player in the Championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here