Barnes wants to stay long-term

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Good. He has had a very hard job in the last couple of games as playing as a lone striker quite simply isn't his game. He's really adapted well though without Ulloa, hats off to him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I saw that headline and took it as "I want a longer contract offer". The club seems to have gotten into the habit of offering one or two year contracts recently, especially when renewing current players, and perhaps Ashley would prefer 3 or 4 years.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
How many has he got at this level, from open play? I've never denied that Barnes is a good player at his level.Which is league 1, he is not a championship striker and never wil be.

I always find this statement strange. Firstly, no bugger on here could probably score a decent free kick or penalty. Secondly, it wasn't that long ago we couldn't score a penalty for love or money with ANY player taking it. I really do not understand this hatred for Barnes.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
How many has he got at this level, from open play? I've never denied that Barnes is a good player at his level.Which is league 1, he is not a championship striker and never wil be.

So why do Poyet, Garcia and Sean Dyche (who bid £500k for him in August) think differently to you? What do you know that they don't?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So why do Poyet, Garcia and Sean Dyche (who bid £500k for him in August) think differently to you? What do you know that they don't?

Why do people keep quoting this £500k bid like it's some big deal....It's not what sort of striker can you buy for that? A good league 1 striker thats who.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I always find this statement strange. Firstly, no bugger on here could probably score a decent free kick or penalty. Secondly, it wasn't that long ago we couldn't score a penalty for love or money with ANY player taking it. I really do not understand this hatred for Barnes.

Not a hatred of Barnes - just reality. Kev is spot on - a decent Lg1 player but not Champ, may be worth renewing his contract as long as he's happy on the bench

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
How about some positives about him as well?
- He's worked his backside off for us all season, in a lone-striker position that doesn't suit him, with our best midfielders missing.
- He's strong defensively (6 clean sheets all featuring him in the side)
- He's got guts (playing on with a dead leg against Blackburn a good example)
- He links well with midfield, keeps possession, and is happy to do a stint anywhere on the park when needed
- He's still young and gets better every season
- He's committed to us and wants to stay with the Albion

Yes, he's not an out and out goal scorer - but who ever said he was supposed to be? For what it's worth, I think Barnes and Lita could be quite a combination once Lita gets fully fit.

I say get off his back.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Garcia hasn't had much choice, every other bugger is injured and Lita hasn't been fit....If you honestly think Barnes is going to play when everyones back, you dreaming.

Once again you are dodging the question, which was .....So why do Poyet, Garcia and Sean Dyche (who bid £500k for him in August) think differently to you? What do you know that they don't?

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
How about some positives about him as well?
- He's worked his backside off for us all season, in a lone-striker position that doesn't suit him, with our best midfielders missing.
- He's strong defensively (6 clean sheets all featuring him in the side)
- He's got guts (playing on with a dead leg against Blackburn a good example)
- He links well with midfield, keeps possession, and is happy to do a stint anywhere on the park when needed
- He's still young and gets better every season
- He's committed to us and wants to stay with the Albion

Yes, he's not an out and out goal scorer - but who ever said he was supposed to be? For what it's worth, I think Barnes and Lita could be quite a combination once Lita gets fully fit.

I say get off his back.[/

Once Ulloa is back fit Barnes & Lita wont get a look in especially if CMS is due back in December

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Hope the club learnt from the Glenn Murray saga , if Ashley Barnes has not signed the new contract by January then they need to sell him. we can not afford for him to walk away for free at the end of the season.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Good. He has had a very hard job in the last couple of games as playing as a lone striker quite simply isn't his game. He's really adapted well though without Ulloa, hats off to him.

last couple of games ? where have you been since Ulloa's suspension/injury ?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Where would we be without him?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure he knows the ground well enough to pick out the boos from the home supporters as well. It's been discussed on here about our own fans booing him, so if we heard it, why shouldn't he?
Blimey that's a big ask.

You are preparing to take a penalty.
ALL of the 900 people, nearest to you are booing.
But you can still hear the half a dozen people booing elsewhere in a crowd of 27,912.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports