Barnes or CMS upfront ? You decide !!!!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
CMS for sure but we wont get the best out of him until the long awaited additional striker we are supposed to be signing.
We then need to move the ball quicker to our strikers,Swansea style.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Three seasons ago at Hartlepool Glenn Murray was injured and Ashley Barnes led the attacking line, he couldn't do it. Today we go down to 10 men Ashley Barnes goes and leads the line, he couldn't do it. Has he actually improved over that period? He can't hold the ball up, he doesn't offer a creative option, he's not an out and out striker, he's not a winger and he's not a midfielder? I know the Barnes apologist's argument that he defends well but can we afford to have an attacker whose main strength is his willingness to track back? Obviously today's loss wasn't his fault. It is just a general point. If we are going to progress we are going to have to leave this PASSENGER behind.

This post is far to truthful to have any place on NSC. Spot on- finally there are others who understand football.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
But he achieves nothing just runs around a lot ... would be Ok if he held the ball up or won something in the air

CMS is expected to acheive so much - but with so little support. It is not surprising that he struggles at times. As a loan striker it is so much easier for e opposition defences to shut him down, even if his first touch is good because they often have a spare defender because of our formation. I have seen little evidence that Barnes would be any better in the same position. In fact when Murray was injured at the end of the 2010/11 season it was Chris Wood who played up front rather than Barnes lead the line and with Barnes in support.

I think most NSCers can see that whoever our front man is they would do miles better if they had closer support. I don't think Gus would ever go for 2 front men but he could give CMS much closer support. There was a spell at Huddersfield where we were ramapaging through their defence because Buckley was much closer to CMS and then Gus brought on Hoskins who looked very sharp and Orlandi was influential too. We should have had at least 2 more goals in that spell and Hudders were all over the shop trying to contain Buckers and CMS/Hoskins. Even Barnes might have had a decent game if he was allowed to push further forward. It is bizarre that Gus is so reluctant to allow that support to the frontman from the start.

BHAMalcom

Nov 15, 2012
Both. Gus needs to come up with a plan B at some point, one that will hopefully involve 2 up front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports