Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes or CMS upfront ? You decide !!!!

brighton7

Feb 15, 2012
Does Barnes play upfront, as for cms he needs a strike partner but Gus ..... oh well maybe in January.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
However it was the first time we won by 2 goals in 14 games. I believe we found Barnes' natural position that night.

I reflected on this earlier today, but I genuinely think Gus played a canny move on Tuesday. He knew Barnes and CMS needed a rest and it would be interpreted as them being dropped for missing chances against Bolton - a popular decision for some fans. And against a poor side, he could give Hoskins and Dobbie a runout. Dobbie didn't take his chance and continued to look out of sorts, although Hoskins continued to show unfulfilled promise. At the same time, Gus could give CMS and Ash a much needed break to recharge before being part of his strongest team today - a decison that would have been vindicated had Dunk not got carried away.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Three seasons ago at Hartlepool Glenn Murray was injured and Ashley Barnes led the attacking line, he couldn't do it. Today we go down to 10 men Ashley Barnes goes and leads the line, he couldn't do it. Has he actually improved over that period? He can't hold the ball up, he doesn't offer a creative option, he's not an out and out striker, he's not a winger and he's not a midfielder? I know the Barnes apologist's argument that he defends well but can we afford to have an attacker whose main strength is his willingness to track back? Obviously today's loss wasn't his fault. It is just a general point. If we are going to progress we are going to have to leave this PASSENGER behind.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Three seasons ago at Hartlepool Glenn Murray was injured and Ashley Barnes led the attacking line, he couldn't do it. Today we go down to 10 men Ashley Barnes goes and leads the line, he couldn't do it. Has he actually improved over that period? He can't hold the ball up, he doesn't offer a creative option, he's not an out and out striker, he's not a winger and he's not a midfielder? I know the Barnes apologist's argument that he defends well but can we afford to have an attacker whose main strength is his willingness to track back? Obviously today's loss wasn't his fault. It is just a general point. If we are going to progress we are going to have to leave this PASSENGER behind.

Gus seems to have trained any of his striking instincts out of him by putting him into that negative defensive role.

As TerryBerry has said above both him and CMS are League One at best, although we still have too many other League One players in our ranks as well.

D

Deleted member 2719

Which begs the question, at 3-0 down and game lost Gus didn't give at least one of those two the last 20 minutes if only for a run out. :shrug:
I can't believe Gus didn't make a change after 60mins after seeing us concede in the 54th maybe give the lads 5mins or so to see if anything changes and if not put two pairs of fresh legs on, after all we had 10 men fresh legs would only have helped, i would have taken that as a massive insult from Gus, if i were on the subs bench and not used in the early stages of the second half of that match.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I can't believe Gus didn't make a change after 60mins after seeing us concede in the 54th maybe give the lads 5mins or so to see if anything changes and if not put two pairs of fresh legs on, after all we had 10 men fresh legs would only have helped, i would have taken that as a massive insult from Gus, if i were on the subs bench and not used in the early stages of the second half of that match.

Truly baffling! It's no wonder Dobbie is looking disheartened when he does get the odd chance. He's a proven Championship player and Gus still doesn't give him an extended run.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
CMS but can we use him like we did for the first 6 games of the season please.

He looked lively, interested and a threat.

Ever since he got injured we seem to be using him the way we did last season which we all know didn't work. We need to get someone close to him and also give him the occasional ball to run onto.

D

Deleted member 2719

Truly baffling! It's no wonder Dobbie is looking disheartened when he does get the odd chance. He's a proven Championship player and Gus still doesn't give him an extended run.

Baffling is the word, i am also so frustrated by his Gus's inability to switch things upfront i can't imagine what Dobbie and Hoskins think.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
In fact, the more I think about it the more I think Barnes can f*** OFF. What is the point in that **** playing at all? We need TWO wingers playing as Palace showed today, and we showed when we played Derby last year. Our f***ing left backs should be up to Championship standard they shouldn't need Barnes to "protect" them. That's what the apologists say isn't it? He "protects" the left back. f***ing hell. Just play someone who looks like they might MAYBE create something, or offer a threat. Maybe even someone who can do BOTH?

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Would'nt choose either. In my opinion I think both have proved themselves to be average championship strikers at best and neither are good enough to score us the goals that will get us promotion.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I'd rather have John Barnes as he is now than Ash.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Well I think personally that Barnes isn't in the same 'league' as CMS as indeed as previously stated he certainly cannot hold the ball up, he is reputedly a striker and, no matter where he is played, he should be able to make a fist of it in terms of finishing chances.

As for CMS, we are playing him alone up front alone again which doesn't work. For all those who say, 'get rid' , just remember Nooney who, it seems, has gone on to do much better elsewhere - Does that not make you wonder ???

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Buckley. And have Kaz on the right wing instead.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Buckley. And have Kaz on the right wing instead.

Innit. Give him a run in the team. Barnes has had enough chances. He has been weighed, he has been measured and he has been found WANTING. Some people seem to think that if a player doesn't look permanently busy that he isn't doing anything. That just isn't the case with someone who is supposedly a winger. It is what they do on the ball that matters. Barnes is incapable of doing ANYTHING that isn't either a misplaced pass forward or a short pass backwards.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
please, amplify.......

Errrmmm. Fairly straightforward I thought. In games we're not controlling, CMS ends up isolated but his pace still gives us an outlet and means he can work the channels while the midfield catches up. Barnes doesn't have enough pace for that or the touch to hold the ball up, even though he does a good job in other ways. Dobbie doesn't want to play with his back to goal. Hoskins might be able to do it - certainly his close control seems better - but again has he got the speed to get himself involved without much support? So, at the moment, CMS seems the best bet to plough on in a role that probably isn't entirely suited to his skills... but which is key to the way we play.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

He did pretty well against Millwall away when CMS went off with his hamstring tear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here