Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barcelona penalty

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I take your point, but at least the PL offers games which are competitively fought, and while the results may go the 'top teams' way you can argue that there was at least an actual game of football that happened to procure the points. In La Liga it's literally a game of goal difference and 4 fixtures, with the very very occasional slip up to an in form team.

I agree there is definitely an element of that in some games. It's one of the reasons the likes of Barca can look so good, teams tend to stand off them and give the room to play particularly in the first two thirds of the field.

That said I watched Barca's game against Levante the other week and they really made a game of it and got stuck in and made Barcelona work for their win, which I certainly wasn't expecting.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I take your point, but at least the PL offers games which are competitively fought, and while the results may go the 'top teams' way you can argue that there was at least an actual game of football that happened to procure the points. In La Liga it's literally a game of goal difference and 4 fixtures, with the very very occasional slip up to an in form team.

I take your point, but Atheltico won it in 2013/14.

Only 5 teams have won the Premier League in 23 years, which is hardly democratic, and one of them has won it 13 times.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just an opinion but I think FIFA should outlaw such a move it is just taking the p..s out of fellow professionals.

I wouldnt want to see a Brighton player do it irrespective of the score.

Would you have disallowed the quick free kick we scored at Reading? Its just a clever bit of thinking. Good on them.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Since the 1992/93 season (which, as we all know, is when football started), the Premier League has been won by:

- Manchester United (x13), Chelsea (x4), Arsenal (x3), Manchester City (x2) and Blackburn Rovers (x1)

In the same timespan, the Primera Division has been won by:

- Barcelona (x11), Real Madrid (x7), Valencia (x2), Atletico Madrid (x2) and Deportivo La Coruna (x1)

So each league has had the same number of different winners in that period of time, and the combined total of wins for Real Madrid and Barca is only one more than the combined totals of Manchester United and Chelsea. :shrug:

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Since the 1992/93 season (which, as we all know, is when football started), the Premier League has been won by:

- Manchester United (x13), Chelsea (x4), Arsenal (x3), Manchester City (x2) and Blackburn Rovers (x1)

- Barcelona (x11), Real Madrid (x7), Valencia (x2), Atletico Madrid (x2) and Deportivo La Coruna (x1)

So each league has had the same number of different winners in that period of time, and the combined total of wins for Real Madrid and Barca is only one more than the combined totals of Manchester United and Chelsea. :shrug:
Conspiracy? :whistle:

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Why should it be outlawed? The offending player took away a goal scoring opportunity. Why should the offending team be given the benefit of the lottery that penalty taking can be?

I remember Kit Napier and Willie Irvine pull off a free kick routine that had never been seen before, completely baffled the opposition, Irvine scored and the crowd loved it.

The fouled team is justified in using a dead ball situation any way it likes within the laws of the game.

Blimey, your holiday has cleared your head Bwian. First bit of sense you've spoken in a long while. xx

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Blimey, your holiday has cleared your head Bwian. First bit of sense you've spoken in a long while. xx

Always, you stupid boy, always!

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Just making a mockery out of a competitive game in a top league where there is little competition apart from 2/3 clubs.

Leicester, who were unlucky today, are showing why the Premiership and the unpredictable championship are the most exciting leagues in the world.

yep - most the games in the German, French and Spanish leagues are pointless.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
He's behind the ball when it's played. Think I'd rather see someone stick it in the top corner straight from the spot to save any embarrassment.

But wasn't Cruyff offside for the return pass?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Barca and Real earnt 68 million quid more than the next highest team in 2013/14.

Stupid, pointless, unfair league.

2000/2001 to Present, Spanish Champions:
Barcelona 7
Real Madrid 5
Valencia 2
Atletico 1

English Champions:
Man Utd 7
Chelsea 4
Arsenal 2
Man City 2

Have the leagues really been that different in terms of fairness??

edit - I see [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] has already pointed this out...

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It's just grumpy old farts, or died-in-the-wool 442 launch it to the big fella English purists, who moan about Barcelona.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
yep - most the games in the German, French and Spanish leagues are pointless.

A typical reaction from the sort of person who doesn't actually watch any games in those leagues.

I can't speak for Germany and France but I enjoy watching both the Premier League and La Liga and I will consistently defend the quality of teams at the lower end of La Liga which are certainly no worse than their equivalents in England.

The problem arises because both Barcelona and Real Madrid have immensely powerful forward lines. You could put any one of Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Ronaldo or Bale into any of the top English sides and they would be certain to win the league. As it is, Barcelona can field the world's top three players (if you don't include Dele Alli). So from time to time some teams get a thrashing - though certainly not all. Celta may have lost 1-6 last night but they beat Barcelona 4-1 in their home league game.

In terms of the competition, Barcelona's last four league games have all been very competitive. As it turned out they won all of them, but for three of them (Malaga, 9-man Atletico and bottom-placed Levante) the result was in doubt until the final whistle. Last night I turned over when Barcelona made it 3-1 as it was annoying that Celta hadn't equalised by then as they'd missed a hatful of chances. So I was shocked to see it ended in what looked like a hiding.

The Spanish League contains some other fine sides who regularly do well in Europe, and it's ludicrous to think that if Barcelona were replacing home games against Sporting Gijon, Deportivo and Eibar with games against Sunderland, Bournemouth and Newcastle that they wouldn't be just as likely to run up a cricket score.

Strike that, it's a bad example, Deportivo have drawn both their last 2 meetings at the Camp Nou.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
2000/2001 to Present, Spanish Champions:
Barcelona 7
Real Madrid 5
Valencia 2
Atletico 1

English Champions:
Man Utd 7
Chelsea 4
Arsenal 2
Man City 2

Have the leagues really been that different in terms of fairness??

edit - I see [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] has already pointed this out...

Quite.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If we had scored a similar penalty against Palace (perhaps Ryan Harley passing it to Billy Paynter) I think I would have spontaneously shot my load with joy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here