Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barcelona penalty

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just an opinion but I think FIFA should outlaw such a move it is just taking the p..s out of fellow professionals.

I wouldnt want to see a Brighton player do it irrespective of the score.

For once I completely agree with you Sir. Arrogance beyond belief. I loved it when Henry and Pires tried something similar for Arsenal and ****ed it right up.

[YT]4Rssr9a3xPU[/YT]

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
It just shows what a joke La Liga is. No different to when the SPL had Celtic and Rangers. It's like Barca just use La Liga as a warm up for the Champions League. Like to see them try that and Neymar's rainbow kick against someone like Bayern Munich.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The more I've thought about it, having seen it live, the more I think it's unsporting. Why didn't Suarez just take it? It's not against any rules, etc, but it is quite prickish isn't it?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Counts as a missed penalty, but he is credited with an assist��

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Typical barca, showboating which creates the usual back page wax lyrical.

Unfortunately it's stuff like this that gets them even more exposure and the reason why you'll see more barca shirts on kids around brighton than brighton ones.

Weren't they complaining recently when Real did a team 10-2 that it wasn't 'sporting' to score more than 6 goals against 10 men? Not that Real is any better.

Wonder if the TV deals over there will ever change.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Barca and Real earnt 68 million quid more than the next highest team in 2013/14.

Stupid, pointless, unfair league.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Thought it was brilliant tbh (and within the rules so fine by me).

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Messi, Neymar, Suarez and Ronaldo in the Premier League, but preferably all at different clubs! Could Pep tempt Messi and Neymar to City??

Neymar is the only doable transfer probably, apparently even a supergiant like Barca can't afford to renew all three of their contracts!

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be honest, I didn't think it was allowed, but obviously I was wrong. I think changes should be made to make it illegal, though.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Thought it was great myself. By taking the penalty that way it increased the chances of it being scored, Messi has missed plenty of penalties in his career. For me Barcelona on song are just a pure joy to watch. They do have possibly the greatest forward line ever assembled but they work so well as a unit, I've not seen three players work together so well ever.

As for the league whilst there is a big gap between Barca, Real and Atletico and the rest, the scrap between the three of them is normally a titanic one, and far more interesting to watch than the old firm domination of the MTL. Apart from this season the Premier League has just been City, Chelsea, Arsenal and United with no-one else able to consistantly challenge them so the PL has been dull with the same top four and then Spurs/Everton etc qualifying for the Europa league.

Luckily this season that isn't the case with Leicester, Arsenal and Spurs all really going for it but it is very much the exception rather than the rule.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Just an opinion but I think FIFA should outlaw such a move it is just taking the p..s out of fellow professionals.

Why should it be outlawed? The offending player took away a goal scoring opportunity. Why should the offending team be given the benefit of the lottery that penalty taking can be?

I remember Kit Napier and Willie Irvine pull off a free kick routine that had never been seen before, completely baffled the opposition, Irvine scored and the crowd loved it.

The fouled team is justified in using a dead ball situation any way it likes within the laws of the game.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Thought it was great myself. By taking the penalty that way it increased the chances of it being scored, Messi has missed plenty of penalties in his career. For me Barcelona on song are just a pure joy to watch. They do have possibly the greatest forward line ever assembled but they work so well as a unit, I've not seen three players work together so well ever.

As for the league whilst there is a big gap between Barca, Real and Atletico and the rest, the scrap between the three of them is normally a titanic one, and far more interesting to watch than the old firm domination of the MTL. Apart from this season the Premier League has just been City, Chelsea, Arsenal and United with no-one else able to consistantly challenge them so the PL has been dull with the same top four and then Spurs/Everton etc qualifying for the Europa league.

Luckily this season that isn't the case with Leicester, Arsenal and Spurs all really going for it but it is very much the exception rather than the rule.

I take your point, but at least the PL offers games which are competitively fought, and while the results may go the 'top teams' way you can argue that there was at least an actual game of football that happened to procure the points. In La Liga it's literally a game of goal difference and 4 fixtures, with the very very occasional slip up to an in form team.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Where the hell does that no.4 defender come from? I assume outside the area but on the side - are you even allowed to do that now? Not a bad idea in case the keeper spills it sideways but in sure it's 'behind the ball' now...?

He was behind the goals having a cigarette at the time with the substitutes

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton

By that token should fancy flicks and skills be outlawed whenever the player could play a simple functional pass instead?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here