Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber advises Albion fans to avoid illegal ticket scams...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The fact that he feels the need to say anything at all. This is a problem right across the PL we all know about - he doesn't need to keep banging on about this and the fact that if we dared to give our season tickets to anyone else we would be hung, drawn and quartered and left to rot in the Tower of London.

The quote I posted has nothing whatsoever to do with season tickets. And the practice he's talking about is a downright SHITTY way for Albion fans to behave. They have every right to try to stop it, if they can.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The club has seen Leicester and Watford tickets being touted on the internet, when the games are sold out. It is our fans who are touting them. What do you want Paul Barber to do? Ignore it? Apart from anything else, it's illegal.

Oh come on.

It happens at every club in the Premier League and isn't going to stop. We all know right from wrong in this and a Barber pronouncement isn't going to stop those who want scalp their tickets on secondary sites

And giving my season ticket to a mate to go when I'm on holiday is illegal too

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
My understanding is that the club are aware there were some problems with the last version of the exchange, and are going to do their best to ensure things run better in future.

Pity it's not already up and running. It might stop people from going down the illegal route of passing them on to a friend at cost.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh come on.

It happens at every club in the Premier League and isn't going to stop. We all know right from wrong in this and a Barber pronouncement isn't going to stop those who want scalp their tickets on secondary sites

And giving my season ticket to a mate to go when I'm on holiday is illegal too

The main gist of his warning is for away fans. The club do turn a blind eye to season tickets passed on between mates and families.

The warning to away fans is needed, because when people get asked for id at Leicester and Watford, they can't whine about it.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Having run into this myself, and asked the ticket office folks... there appears to be NO legal way of passing on an away ticket to a friend in the event that your plans/circumstances change and you can't go.... which is a bit crap.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Barber-out should have asked Tony to make this statement.
At least that way he could have guaranteed 100% agreement from the fans.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Having run into this myself, and asked the ticket office folks... there appears to be NO legal way of passing on an away ticket to a friend in the event that your plans/circumstances change and you can't go.... which is a bit crap.

It is a bit crap I agree. But what else can the club do, when there are clearly PISSTAKERS who will continue to hoover up away tickets just to pass them on, boosting their own "loyalty" points for when the big games come along that they do actually want to attend.

Its not very fair on the fans who do buy a ticket with every intention of attending, but then find they can't go. But then I'd have thought that would only happen in very rare circumstances anyway.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
"It is also disappointing that fans, with the necessary loyalty points, have purchased tickets and chosen to offer them for re-sale, and, in some cases, over and above the face value price rather than attend the match to support the team.

“It appears that these individuals have no intention of attending the match, and have bought tickets simply to profiteer, gain loyalty points, or both. We would remind these individuals that the unauthorised sale or transfer of tickets to a football match is a criminal offence under UK law.

Plastic fans, the loyalty points should be on to who went to the Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean also.

The plastic fan is making a mug out of the die hards.

How long do we not have to have been at the Goldstone, Gillingham or Withdean for fans to stop bringing this up and think they have a devine right for more loyalty points than those newer fans ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Don't tout, don't mine away games for loyalty points, and I am sure everyone will be fine.

Take the piss and mouth off about it, get what you deserve.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It is a bit crap I agree. But what else can the club do, when there are clearly PISSTAKERS who will continue to hoover up away tickets just to pass them on, boosting their own "loyalty" points for when the big games come along that they do actually want to attend.

Its not very fair on the fans who do buy a ticket with every intention of attending, but then find they can't go. But then I'd have thought that would only happen in very rare circumstances anyway.

Why would someone have enough loyalty points to buy tickets (gained by regular attendance at away games) ... and somehow not want to go to the away games now? Seems like a bit of a non-problem to me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why would someone have enough loyalty points to buy tickets, gained by regular attendance at away games... and somehow not want to go to the away games now? Seems like a bit of a non-problem to me.

Sure those who are at the front of the queue pointswise already will buy, with the usual intention of going (the 250+-ers). But there's probably a more "middling" section of fans further back in the queue who could buy tickets with no intention of going, just to move up the queue when Old Trafford / Anfield are on the horizon. I've got 204 points (went to 1 away last season). I could probably successfully put in for away tickets for several games and get that boosted, whether I intended going or not.

Not that I WOULD of course. :angel:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Why would someone have enough loyalty points to buy tickets (gained by regular attendance at away games) ... and somehow not want to go to the away games now? Seems like a bit of a non-problem to me.

Curious isn't it ? Why are they buying tickets and then selling them on the internet ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

You don't need to have been to a LOT of away games to have had enough LP to secure Leicester, Watford tickets, though. There are folk who have bought those with ZERO intention of attending, just to keep themselves in the higher LP group ahead of Arsenal, etc.

If they can, I'm sure they'd love to recoup the ticket cost from someone else, whilst pocketing said LP to their account. Others are prepared to take the financial hit.

D

Deleted member 2719

How long do we not have to have been at the Goldstone, Gillingham or Withdean for fans to bring this up and think they have a devine right for more loyalty points than those newer fans ?

Forever:shrug:

If you are a Albion fan that has followed the club at every opportunity you can, surely these fans are going to keep following and spend their cash and should be prioritised, its not that we had anymore than 15,000 that did this but they should have top priority.

Don't get me wrong i will not be at the top of the loyalty points list but i'd like to think these fans should get priority over the Amex newbie.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

I think the issue (which I find hard to believe is rife) with loyalty points mining is the reverse of your assumption... the people with enough LP to buy away tickets now don't necessarily have to attended games in prior seasons, they merely have to have bought them. For the few (my assumption) people who are intending to mine LP in 2017/18, they will presumably have been mining in previous seasons too - so no change in behaviour is required; rather, a continuation of existing behaviour.

As I say though, I can't believe that many people will have been serially mining loyalty points, with no intention of attending the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here