Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber: 20,000 Season-Ticket Renewals for next season

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Its not that straightforward, especially if you live 70 miles away. Getting the cards to (and back from) people is hassle, and honestly, I hardly know anyone who is interested, who doesn't already have a ST of their own.

Understandable given the distance but I have at least 20 mates/colleagues/pets who will come if invited.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have renewed my DD for West Upper - would like to look at options to move to West Lower potentially, just to be closer to the action for one season! I know the opportunity to do this is 18th to 20th, but anyone know if it's just a case of turning up at the shop or calling in to move? No forms to fill in in advance?

I'm looking to do the opposite (cost reasons), from my reading of the website it's one specific day (forget which) to phone or go to Amex if you want to move in the west.

Wednesday 19th March for West Stand moves.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Given Direct Debit payers have until Thursday to cancel, this is all a little bit premature. They represent the bulk of our ST holders and, technically, they could all be phoning up the Amex tomorrow to cancel for next season.

You can't cancel on the phone. It has to be in writing.

Its not that straightforward, especially if you live 70 miles away. Getting the cards to (and back from) people is hassle, and honestly, I hardly know anyone who is interested, who doesn't already have a ST of their own.

Same here, although I'm only about half that distance. I probably make about a dozen league games a season and our son (he lives in Vauxhall) about the same although he can't make evening games without taking a day off because of where he's employed; the return train transport doesn't really work for him either.
As an aside, neither of us has an ST because of the cost benefit vs matchday purchase, it's our financial commitment the club we've supported since we were kids. I've been going to the Albion with the guy who sits on the other side of me since the sixties, he and his wife spend a good deal of time away from Brighton but there's never any thought of giving up their STs either. BHA every Saturday is not a necessity, the club is not the centre of our lives but we've all come too, too far to drop this now; couldn't never see any of us doing this unless there's some sort of domestic financial car crash. In fact, I'd probably pay for my son's ST if this occurred.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Same here, although I'm only about half that distance. I probably make about a dozen league games a season and our son (he lives in Vauxhall) about the same although he can't make evening games without taking a day off because of where he's employed; the return train transport doesn't really work for him either.
As an aside, neither of us has an ST because of the cost benefit vs matchday purchase, it's our financial commitment the club we've supported since we were kids. I've been going to the Albion with the guy who sits on the other side of me since the sixties, he and his wife spend a good deal of time away from Brighton but there's never any thought of giving up their STs either. BHA every Saturday is not a necessity, the club is not the centre of our lives but we've all come too, too far to drop this now; couldn't never see any of us doing this unless there's some sort of domestic financial car crash. In fact, I'd probably pay for my son's ST if this occurred.

Good post.

You see, there are two very different sides to these stories. You (and I) think that your buying a ST despite knowing you'll only make 12 games, is a show of ongoing loyalty to the club. To others (lucky enough to live a stone's throw from the Amex and have flexible work / life arrangements), you're a terrible, terrible fan for DARING to miss a proportion of the games.

Of course, if the club's Official Ticket Exchange was fit for purpose, you could put your tickets up for resale for games you know in advance you can't make. I always do - for what its worth*

*nothing.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just renewed mine. Spent the entire morning logged on to the website, which continually said it was queuing.

Thought I'd ring up the ticket line on the off chance. Got through & booked in under a couple of minutes.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Of course, if the club's Official Ticket Exchange was fit for purpose, you could put your tickets up for resale for games you know in advance you can't make. I always do - for what its worth*

*nothing.

I think it is though, other than one possible small exception, which I know would affect/benefit you, but wouldn't [MENTION=7004]Alex, Alex Dawson oo! oo![/MENTION], nor me, for nights such as tonight, when there will be a great seat in the front row of the WSU empty. I don't see that the club, nor any other club, would entertain activating an exchange when the club had their own tickets to sell first.

The exception is for the family stand, where it does feel as though, maybe, the exchange should be activated for families who might not otherwise be able to afford tickets in other areas of the ground.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think it is though, other than one possible small exception, which I know would affect/benefit you, but wouldn't [MENTION=7004]Alex, Alex Dawson oo! oo![/MENTION], nor me, for nights such as tonight, when there will be a great seat in the front row of the WSU empty. I don't see that the club, nor any other club, would entertain activating an exchange when the club had their own tickets to sell first.

The exception is for the family stand, where it does feel as though, maybe, the exchange should be activated for families who might not otherwise be able to afford tickets in other areas of the ground.

The family stand is the main one, which really ought to have an exception, because a) plenty can't make evenings and b) some who want to take little kids, on a one match basis, won't consider taking them in elsewhere.

However, I think the whole scheme should be activated, if not on a stand-by-stand basis, at least on a price band basis. As things stand, if the £25 tickets in the North are sold out, but there are £38 tickets available in the East, then no North tickets would be put up for resale - meaning that some who might have gone, will not.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
This "entertainment"...we're probably talking more embarrassing fancy dress bullsh1t gormlessly imported wholesale from boring sports over here, no?

Bah - even as a kid, the only entertainment I asked for pre-match was a quarter bag of rhubarb and custards from the newsagents by the bridge at Hove station and Tony Millard reading out dedications on the annoy.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Most DD users have renewed, there will be some more buying ST's and then the yearly payers will renew this week. I'd expect pretty much the same as this year for ST's.
What does annoy me is the Attendance announcement. I mean ok, if you're gonna just announce tickets sold then ok, do that. Just don't call it the effing 'Attendance' because clearly it's not the attendance!!! Or the crowd!!! So stop announcing it as so.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Most DD users have renewed, there will be some more buying ST's and then the yearly payers will renew this week. I'd expect pretty much the same as this year for ST's.
What does annoy me is the Attendance announcement. I mean ok, if you're gonna just announce tickets sold then ok, do that. Just don't call it the effing 'Attendance' because clearly it's not the attendance!!! Or the crowd!!! So stop announcing it as so.

I agree, but that would mean announcing 21/22k attendance, and that might not be considered good enough for our commercial partners, they want to believe their sponsorship pounds are being seen by as many people as possible. Promise them 26k crowds and get the deal, give them 22k crowds and they'll want a reduction.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I agree, but that would mean announcing 21/22k attendance, and that might not be considered good enough for our commercial partners, they want to believe their sponsorship pounds are being seen by as many people as possible. Promise them 26k crowds and get the deal, give them 22k crowds and they'll want a reduction.

Yes Phil but can't they just call it something else. Like 'Tickets sold for tonight's match is 27,668' rather than attendance.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
In the interests of FFP and Marketing etc, I take it that if we lose tonight there will only be one person manning the phones over the next couple of days for the many DD season ticket holders who may want to cancel :smile:

Ok ....so i'm just a little fed up with the selling and spin, it's a fine line and can see that it may be required for some to support TB's investment, but would hope most who watched a shitty 0-0 draw with Carlisle in the pissing rain 15/20 years ago (or similar) or supported the Albion at their lowest in a shit stadium really don't need it.

In the same breath I recognise many don't think twice about renewing even if they can't make most of the games because its just too difficult with kids (especially nights) and transport issues, credit to them.

Anyway let's hope we win tonight.(and it should be quiet on phones tomorrow)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

So in effect they're being totally lied to?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
In the interests of FFP and Marketing etc, I take it that if we lose tonight there will only be one person manning the phones over the next couple of days for the many DD season ticket holders who may want to cancel :smile:

Ok ....so i'm just a little fed up with the selling and spin, it's a fine line and can see that it may be required for some to support TB's investment, but would hope most who watched a shitty 0-0 draw with Carlisle in the pissing rain 15/20 years ago (or similar) or supported the Albion at their lowest in a shit stadium really don't need it.

In the same breath I recognise many don't think twice about renewing even if they can't make most of the games because its just too difficult with kids (especially nights) and transport issues, credit to them.

Anyway let's hope we win tonight.(and it should be quiet on phones tomorrow)

All the more important for a decent ticket exchange. The existing one is a joke. I struggled to get 2 tickets together for 2 friends in the north against Reading. Yet there were rows and rows of empty seats. It's a joke.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
All the more important for a decent ticket exchange. The existing one is a joke. I struggled to get 2 tickets together for 2 friends in the north against Reading. Yet there were rows and rows of empty seats. It's a joke.

It would be ideal for the "investment" that S/T holders have made if the club gave them priority in selling tickets, the club could take its cut, it does already if you want to upgrade, taking an even bigger premium for Cat A games which S/T holders do not pay for.

But even bigger an issue is when a game is moved to a night, they may get paid handsomely for showing live on tv, the kids can't go, and they charge a ridiculous premium to upgrade. I'm waiting for the spin on that one.

Good post.

You see, there are two very different sides to these stories. You (and I) think that your buying a ST despite knowing you'll only make 12 games, is a show of ongoing loyalty to the club. To others (lucky enough to live a stone's throw from the Amex and have flexible work / life arrangements), you're a terrible, terrible fan for DARING to miss a proportion of the games.

*nothing.

TBH I'm more likely to give my ticket away when I can't make it; our daughter has used mine for the last two matches when we've been in Dublin for the rugby and I've been getting grumpy with some chemo. She wouldn't normally go (not that she was much of a lucky charm vs Wigan or Reading) but I have a bit of problem with selling on a ticket in the "grey" market either informally or via the system that used to operate on NSC, at a knockdown (ie ST) price. If the club's exchange operated as you seem to be inferring then probably I'd make an effort but I can't see that happening whilst they've match day tickets still unsold; it's just like late returns at a theatre isn't it? And before anyone (not you) starts babbling on about empty ST seats and the enormous lost sales of pies, beer and merchandise, that's no great deal - maybe the price of a pint - just.
Anyway, must go as will be using Ed's bus service tonight.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
TBH I'm more likely to give my ticket away when I can't make it; our daughter has used mine for the last two matches when we've been in Dublin for the rugby and I've been getting grumpy with some chemo. She wouldn't normally go (not that she was much of a lucky charm vs Wigan or Reading) but I have a bit of problem with selling on a ticket in the "grey" market either informally or via the system that used to operate on NSC, at a knockdown (ie ST) price. If the club's exchange operated as you seem to be inferring then probably I'd make an effort but I can't see that happening whilst they've match day tickets still unsold; it's just like late returns at a theatre isn't it? And before anyone (not you) starts babbling on about empty ST seats and the enormous lost sales of pies, beer and merchandise, that's no great deal - maybe the price of a pint - just.
Anyway, must go as will be using Ed's bus service tonight.

good to hear you can make it tonight :clap::clap::clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here